How to print square

MrX8503

How to print square

Postby MrX8503 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:52 am

My plan is to purchase the Canon Selphy. Can the printer and app print a square photo centered without cropping? I set the dimensions to 1200x1200 in the app's settings and it appears to not be cropped.

tim
Site Admin

Re: How to print square

Postby tim » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:47 am

Sorry, at the moment this isn't supported. It is on the list of features to be built. I'm actively working on the wifi booth now and hope to bring an update at the end of January. I'm not sure if square printing will be in it, but i'll try to post back here to let you know

MrX8503

Postby MrX8503 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:10 pm

Thanks for the quick reply and for working on the update.

The use case for printing square is to get that Polaroid look. I'm planning to have a photo guestbook and the white space around the square photo would allow guests to write on it.

There are other services that print Instagram photos Polaroid style, but they're either too expensive or cumbersome. Your app is the best I've seen so far in usability, I look forward to the update.

Thanks.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:12 pm

Thanks for the compliment. One question about how you want to use the Selphy to make square prints: do you intend to have guests use scissors to cut the photos into squares? or you have someone (ie assistant) standing at the booth who does this? Or does selphy now have square paper available?

MrX8503

Postby MrX8503 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:49 pm

No scissors or assistant. I created a mockup of what I'm thinking of.

http://imgur.com/Sh6some

Square print, center vertically and horizontally. This would allow guests to pin up the photo and write a message in the white space below the square photo.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:29 pm

Hi MrX8503,

Good news, even better news, and bad news.
The good news is that I believe I built exactly what you've asked for into version 2.0 of WiFi Booth.
The even better news is that 2.0 was finished in January, and already approved and released by Apple on Feb 2 (6 days ago).
The bad news is that Apple is having a technical issue with their app store, and no one can download 2.0 yet. But i've been assured that tomorrow is another day, and I didn't get in touch with Apple until today so apparently they didn't know about it.
So just wait a day or two, hit update in App Store, and hopefully you'll get what you asked for.
Thanks
-tim

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:24 am

Update: it appears calling apple worked -- this morning I can finally see the update on our family iPad.
Please try it out and let me know if it prints square as you want. Hint: you'll need to zoom out (pinch out) in the collage area

Hdgleaton

Postby Hdgleaton » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:45 pm

Is the app capable of printing a square? I'm having the same issue and do not want to purchase the app if it is not able to do this

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:52 am

Yes, as long as your printer accepts a square image and actually prints a square, instead of stretching it.
You can set the paper size toa square size by adding your own size.
Please make sure it works for you before making any purchase - there are no limitations in trial mode other than watermark
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

petterw

Postby petterw » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:33 am

To build on that. The Canon Selphy printer has square sticker paper (prod. KC-18IS) with a printer setting of bordered or borderless. If bordered the square photo ends up within the squared sticker (2.1x2.1") if bordeless the photo is zoomed in to the the full with of the paper (2.1x3.4") which crops bits of the top and bottom of the square photo.

For an example: http://support-th.canon-asia.com/conten ... 300.html#8

When printing from WifiBooth borderless seems to be the only option. The printer's setting doesn't matter. Photo is printed as borderless.

In other apps, like Canons own iOS Selphy app, you can in the step before printing set the printer settings and chose bordered, and the photo/sticker comes out as it should. (i.e. at the moment we have to save the photo with overlays and all, and then open the square image from within the Canon app to print it.)

Is this something you are familiar with Tim and perhaps know of a a way to fix it?

best wishes.petter

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:42 am

Hmmm i guess they are relying on every app soft-insetting the prints. What happens if you put on collage border outside border to be big, make a collage of one photo - you should see it has large white borders - and print that?
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

petterw

Postby petterw » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:28 am

Thanks Tim, as a workaround that's the best so far. Ones you get the border percentage right it makes for an OK user experience. The hard bit then is to position the collage overlay image.

I've thrown Canon the question as well. But their customer support aint as swift as you... :!:

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:46 am

Heh thanks :)
Sounds like it would be helpful to have an additional print border setting so you can set that, and other settings like the collage overlay respect/use it. Will look at this

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:34 pm

@petterw - in the next update there's a setting which should help you out if you are printing single photos: borders for photos - affecting photos in and not in collages. If you are printing single photos then you can turn on the border, make it white, and adjust it the same way collage borders can be adjusted.

Return to “Help: Printers”