Connecting multiple printers

Nick

Connecting multiple printers

Postby Nick » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:52 am

I have two Selphy 920 printers that I would like to daisychain but I don't want guests making the mistake of queueing up their photos behind a single printer. Is there a technique for print requests to auto 'jump' to next available printer?

tim
Site Admin

Re: Connecting multiple printers

Postby tim » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:05 pm

They do that automatically: if you add 2 printers, they automatically round-robin print. Just add them both.

Iamianh

Postby Iamianh » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:14 pm

Running two selphy printers, they aren't queuing up properly.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:24 pm

Hi, sorry you're having trouble.
What should happen is that one should print, then the other should print (after you add both). Is that not happening for you?
Note that iOS is not capable of printing to multiple printers simultaneously, ie. only one printer is fed at a time. But they should indeed alternate (helps with selphy's low paper capacity)
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

blackjack08

Postby blackjack08 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:00 am

Hi there,
so I am planning to buy a 2nd Canon Selphy 1300 to speed up that workflow a little.
So do I get it right that Wifibooth is not capable to Print from 2 Printers?

Example:
SETUP: 2 Printers connected to WiFi hotspot - where also camera (eyeFi) and iPad (Running Wifibooth) are connected to.

I take a few pictures and select them, then hit Print button. -> Does it ask for a Printer to choose?

If no, does it Print one after the other? So If I start Printing from Printer 1, and make a new collage, press print again (While the 1st printer is still Printing) - Does it start with the 2nd (Free) printer?

Thanks for help! ;)

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:36 am

So do I get it right that Wifibooth is not capable to Print from 2 Printers?
No, the good news is, that's not correct: Wifibooth will print round-robin when printing to printers that are connected with AirPrint directly (ie. not blueprint). If you have two Selphys connected via AirPrint, let's call them A then B, and you connect them both in Wifibooth, then each time prints are made, the "other" printer will be chosen: A->B->A->B->....

There are two caveats to note:
1) as I wrote before, iOS is not capable of printing to >1 printer concurrently. That means that if you do a print of 1 photo, then immediate do a print of a second photo, the first will print on printer A, and the second will print on printer B, BUT: printer B will not start until printer A has finished, even though printer B is idle. There's seemingly nothing I can do about this, it appears to be a limitation of iOS itself.
2) if you print multiple copies of the same photo (ie. user asks for 3 copies of their collage), these will all be sent to the same printer because this is considered one request. This is to make it faster to get the network data to the printer.

Hope that helps! In practice if you're using Selphys I did not find a second one to be of much help, because of the 1st caveat above. The only thing that improves is that instead of having ~18 prints before you run out of paper, you get ~36, but that's only if people make the same number of prints as each other (they don't)
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

Emandmphotobus

Postby Emandmphotobus » Sat May 26, 2018 4:23 pm

Hi,

So I try to connect to 2 selphy cp 1300 but wifibooth only show connected to 1 of them. Does it need to show it's connected to both?

Thank you!

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Sat May 26, 2018 6:05 pm

Although iOS can be connected to two printers at once it can only spool (print) to one at a time.
A lot has changed since my last message and having two printers connected at once isnt supported anymore sorry.

Return to “Help: Printers”