Panasonic GH5

Built-in WiFi only.
Millstein

Re: Panasonic GH5

Postby Millstein » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:12 am

I have fast 300mbs 128gb sandisk card, and full battery on everything.

I have tried resetting the camera and the iPad several times.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:25 am

OK. Can you please help me understand where the delays are:
1) if you set it to take ONE photo, does it take noticeably less time than three photos? or about the same?
2) does the countdown sync with where the photo is taken ("Cheese") ?
3) Is the bulk of the wait during the circular-progress indicator (aka donut), or before the donut appears?
4) After the donut appears, how long out of the wait time before it starts moving? ie. does it start moving right away but slowly, or, does it take a while to start moving then move quickly?

Feel free to make a video of this happening with your phone and post a link to it, if that is easier for you
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:54 am

@Millstein UPDATE (in addition to my last post ^^^)
I just hunted through my email and found one post from another GH5 user, who posted this... I thought it might be helpful.

Every time I searched for the house wifi with the camera and connected it, the intermittent lag would occur. However, if I saved the wifi settings and connected directly through that rather than searching for the wifi again, there wasn't any lag. It was very bizarre why connecting to the wifi by searching, compared to saved settings would make such a difference to quality.
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

Millstein

Postby Millstein » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:46 am

1) it’s faster when I take one picture, but still very slow . Three pictures makes it crash most of the time.

2) the countdown is in sync when I’m on the cameras Wi-Fi but off most of the time when I’m on the house WiFi, which is usually very good.

3) it’s kind of waiting all the time. The hole pocess takes about one minute in total before the camera is ready to take another picture.

4) when the donut appear it moves I tiny but, and then stops there for about 15 seconds before it moves quickly to the end.

Thank you so much for your support! :)
OK. Can you please help me understand where the delays are:
1) if you set it to take ONE photo, does it take noticeably less time than three photos? or about the same?
2) does the countdown sync with where the photo is taken ("Cheese") ?
3) Is the bulk of the wait during the circular-progress indicator (aka donut), or before the donut appears?
4) After the donut appears, how long out of the wait time before it starts moving? ie. does it start moving right away but slowly, or, does it take a while to start moving then move quickly?

Feel free to make a video of this happening with your phone and post a link to it, if that is easier for you

Millstein

Postby Millstein » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:53 am

I have tried this but it doesn’t seem to help
@Millstein UPDATE (in addition to my last post ^^^)
I just hunted through my email and found one post from another GH5 user, who posted this... I thought it might be helpful.

Every time I searched for the house wifi with the camera and connected it, the intermittent lag would occur. However, if I saved the wifi settings and connected directly through that rather than searching for the wifi again, there wasn't any lag. It was very bizarre why connecting to the wifi by searching, compared to saved settings would make such a difference to quality.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:36 am

Hi Millstein
Sorry for the delay in my reply.

Please avoid your house wifi: consumer wifi routers don't do well when there are 10+ devices, which is easily the case these days with all sorts of always-connected devices.

So, Panasonic cameras are very slow at switching between shooting mode and filesystem mode (which is necessary to download the photos that were just taken). That results in a delay of up to 5 seconds before images start downloading. But once they start downloading, it shouldn't pause for 15 seconds - that's odd. It also shouldn't fail to downloda images "most of the time" -- not sure what is going on there. What you can do to make Wifibooth wait longer before giving up on donwloading photos is go to the Settings App -> Wifibooth -> make sure all settings are off and then turn on "Slower camera". This just makes Wifibooth wait longer before giving up (it doesn't actually slow down any transfers etc)

You mentioned that you tried Cascable and it "works perfectly". Am I right in assuming that you are downloading photos that are already on the camera, versus shooting and then immediately downloading them? If you could tell me more about how similar behavior works in Cascable when connected to your GH5, it might help me understand what is going on. A video is worth 1000 words ;)

Tidle

Postby Tidle » Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:32 pm

Any progress here?

Still does not work. Wifi keeps disconnecting. Live view is really really laggy or it just works in the first few seconds after reconnecting.
With Cascable it is working.

Tidle

Postby Tidle » Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:43 am

Any progress here?

Still does not work. Wifi keeps disconnecting. Live view is really really laggy or it just works in the first few seconds after reconnecting.
“Solved” by using another device. Bevor it was an iPhone 13 mini.fully charged. But did not work with wifibooth. With cascable it worked. With an iPad Pro both apps are working.

Tidle

Postby Tidle » Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:32 am

Any progress here?

“Solved” by using another device. Bevor it was an iPhone 13 mini.fully charged. But did not work with wifibooth. With cascable it worked. With an iPad Pro both apps are working.
Today i had also Problems with the ipad that was working before. the ipad was on 22% and when starting wifibooth i got the message that battery is too low and wifi could have problems.
can you tell me why this happens? because with cascable it i working perfectly, even with low battery. so for my understanding it shouldnt be a problem with the wifi.
after what battery percentage it is working normally again?

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:01 am

We recommend 50% or more battery but many things can cause wifi issues…

Return to “Help: Cameras with Built-in WiFi”