Panasonic GH5

Built-in WiFi only.
aaronkaiser

Panasonic GH5

Postby aaronkaiser » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:14 am

Have you guys seen any issues with connecting the Panasonic GH5 camera? I can’t get it to work aside from an occasional photo and even then its super slow and non-responsive.

I’ve tried connecting directly and through my router, I’ve tried turning off auto focus (it keeps turning back on in Wifibooth), I’ve made sure it’s capturing smaller JPG files, I’ve tried both Cinema mode and NTSC mode, and I’ve turned off everything auto focus related that I can. I’ve also tried the “faster camera” and “slower camera” toggles in the settings app.

I’m thinking there might be something with AF still because I see the blue focus highlights when live view does pop up, even though that setting isn’t normally turned on in my camera.

Connecting to the Panasonic image app works fine. Using Wifibooth with the iPad camera works fine. I tried connecting the GH5 to Wifibooth on my iPhone X to make sure it’s not an iPad problem, but I had the same issues. I am at a loss here.

tim
Site Admin

Re: Panasonic GH5

Postby tim » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:05 am

Hmm, that is interesting. Does not sound good!
To start, can you please grab the app "Cascable" from the app store, and tell me if you see a noticeable difference in performance regarding taking photos (ie. the autofocus, shutter release) ?
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

aaronkaiser

Postby aaronkaiser » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:50 pm

Will do and will report back.

In the meantime, some additional info:
- latest Wifibooth release
- iOS 11.4 (iPad Air 2 and iPhone X)
- GH5 firmware 2.3 (was at 2.1 and started getting more errors when trying to connect at 2.3)

aaronkaiser

Postby aaronkaiser » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:37 pm

Cascable does seem to be more stable and was able to snap off several photos. Interestingly, leaving autofocus on seemed to help (but didn't produce the same results in Wifibooth). There were still a couple of connection errors, but no message on the camera of "not connected to app" every time I take a photo like in Wifibooth. Cascable also doesn't seem to auto-transfer the photos to the iPad, same with the Panasonic app.

I did take a screenshot of the initial connection error in Wifibooth this time. It says, "Could not connect to camera. The operation couldn't be completed. (se.cascable error 1011.)" That's the error that started showing up after GH5 firmware 2.3 was installed.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:44 pm

Thanks for the information - i've passed that on, hope to get an updated version with fixes soon.
In the meantime one more thing you could try: what happens if you turn off the option "Live view on home page" -- does this make it any better? Or if you turn off live view entirely?
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

aaronkaiser

Postby aaronkaiser » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:57 pm

Turning off "live view on home page" improved, but it took one photo that didn't transfer, set up for a second and never took that or a third.

The live view toggle is disabled as on. I haven't ever been able to turn that off in any of my tests.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:08 pm

OK thanks for this information. I'll get back to you when I have an update.

aaronkaiser

Postby aaronkaiser » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:12 pm

More info: I've tried testing a reset of my camera sensor settings and wifi settings (in case something I customized is causing the issue) and it sadly did not resolve the problem.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:00 pm

Hi Aaron
If you would be willing to try a beta version to see if there is an improvement please send me a private message with your email address
-tim

okappa

Postby okappa » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:06 pm

Hi. Same problem here with GH5 (newest firmware) and iPad Pro 12.9 2nd gen (newest iOS). Neither direct or infrastructure mode works. Any news regarding a fix? Any beta to try?

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:42 pm

Hi okappa,
Can you please go to settings app -> wifibooth and tell me the version that you see there?
If it isn't 4.4.4, please update in the App Store and that'll fix it.
Also note that 4.4.5 is coming either today or tomorrow (depending on Apple). It doesn't have anything specific for the GH5 but does allow you to control camera settings (when cam supports that)

okappa

Postby okappa » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:04 pm

Sadly it was already version 4.4.4. Anything I can try to narrow it down?

aaronkaiser

Postby aaronkaiser » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:18 pm

Make sure you’re fully in manual focus mode. Both the lens and the switch on the back. That helped me.

theflamingbrick

Postby theflamingbrick » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:29 am

Hi there. I too am having issues with the panasonic GH5.
When I first tried the app about a month or so ago, the app worked perfectly. However, after building the photo booth and ready to test the system, the app no longer works. When the iPad connects to the wifi of the GH5 and I start the app up, there is about 5 seconds of it working flawlessly before the live view freezes. It will then sporadically update the live view picture, but won't take photos or anything.
I can still access all the menus etc but can't get a non laggy live view or take photos.

It's such a massive shame as it worked perfectly before. However, now that I've built the stand and was about to invest in the app, it no longer works.

I have the camera plugged in with a dummy AC battery and have made sure the iPad has a full battery and is plugged in. I have also tried with a fully charged GH5 battery to see if that made any difference but it didn't.

Would really appreciate some help with this as we have an event coming up this weekend that I'd really like to take the photo booth to. If not I will have to find a different app.

Notes on firmware etc:
Camera - Panasonic GH5 with firmware 2.3
iPad Air 2 running IOS 11.4.1
WiFiBooth Version - 4.4.6, build 5437

Thanks in advance.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:22 am

Hi theflamingbrick,

I have an idea what that could be. I can make you a beta build either late today or tomorrow, with a change that might fix the live view lagging.
If you're up for trying that out, let me know - i'll assume that your email address you registered with the forum can receive emails.

theflamingbrick

Postby theflamingbrick » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:26 pm

That would be great if you could.

Yes the e-mail I signed up with would be perfect.

Thanks

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:27 pm

Great - already emailed you

okappa

Postby okappa » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:57 pm

Hi theflamingbrick,

I have an idea what that could be. I can make you a beta build either late today or tomorrow, with a change that might fix the live view lagging.
If you're up for trying that out, let me know - i'll assume that your email address you registered with the forum can receive emails.
Is it fixed in beta? I‘m having the same issue

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:51 pm

There is a fix coming in beta in a few hours for stuttering live-view. Are you already on the beta?

okappa

Postby okappa » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:15 pm

There is a fix coming in beta in a few hours for stuttering live-view. Are you already on the beta?
Good to know that a fix is coming. I would very much like to test the fix. No, i‘m not on the beta

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:35 pm

Ok i will add you via the email address you registered with the forum in a couple of hours

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:33 pm

Wifibooth 4.4.8 was released to the app store today. It contains the fixes we talked about earlier in this thread. If you installed the beta, then please be sure to upgrade from the beta version to the App Store version. You can do this by going to the app store, finding Wifibooth, and installing it over top of the beta version. You don't need to erase the app.

Millstein

Postby Millstein » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:42 pm

The app is working very slow with my GH5.
Have tried both internet connections, and the wi-if that the gh5 creates works best. But it’s very slow (taking around a minute to take one picture).

The camera is set to take small jpeg files (2mb), and I’m using an 2018 iPad.

Do you have any suggestions on what to do?

Hoping to use the app in a wedding on Saturday, so I’m really hoping there is a fix to this.

I have tried with cascable and that works perfectly

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:31 pm

That is very odd. I definitely want to help fix this.
Can you confirm you are on iOS 12 and wifibooth 4.9.2?
And that you are not using BluePrint?

Millstein

Postby Millstein » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:32 am

Yes, I have the latest firmware on both the iPad and the camera and I’m not using blueprint

Return to “Help: Cameras with Built-in WiFi”