Black Screen

Built-in WiFi only.
samframe

Black Screen

Postby samframe » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:18 am

I have successfully connected my 70D to Wifibooth using multiple methods (connect to smartphone » Infrastructure & Camera access point mode both work). WIfibooth settings say "All Systems Go", and the message on screen says "Get ready for 1 photo, then tap the button to start" BUT all I see is a blank screen and it does not take photos. I can however manually trigger a photo from the camera and it appears in the Gallery. Why do I see black screen behind the message? :x

tim
Site Admin

Re: Black Screen

Postby tim » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:52 am

Hmm that doesn’t sound like live view is able to start. If you try turning off live view in settings -> taking photos, and then turn the camera off and reconnect it, does it then take photos?
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

samframe

Postby samframe » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:58 pm

Thanks for the reply. No luck unfortunately.

I followed that sequence, then when I clicked the "photo" button, it sounded like the shutter on the camera opened and didnt close. The camera is saying "busy". (My exposure is set to f2.0/25.). I've played around with this a lot, and cannot work this out!

As part of my trouble shooting, I should note that when I connect the camera to "camera connect" app from Canon, it's works perfectly with absolutely no issues. I have also tried deleting wifibooth app and installing again.

Any other ideas?

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:11 am

Hmm. Ok so just to be sure:
- you turned off “live view (if supported by camera)” option, turned off the camera, turned it back on, reconnected.
Can you please also try manual focus on the lens if supported? Perhaps you are not getting a focus lock in your test setup. Also please make sure memory card doesnt have a ton of stuff on it (format it etc)
Lets get it working without liveview first: there was a change to liveview recently that might be an issue
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

samframe

Postby samframe » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:28 pm

Progress!! I managed to trigger the camera from the app using that sequence. I had previously used manual focus but this time I also formatted my card.

I then went on to enable "live View" and now I'm seeing a spinning loading wheel and a blank screen. The trigger doesn't work when Live View is enabled.

Appreciate your help with this! What next?

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:39 pm

Awesome, that helps me understand what the issue is likely to be. Problem is, im on vacation until monday. Ill make you a beta build to test, on tuesday. Ok?

samframe

Postby samframe » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:03 pm

Ok thanks for the info. Sounds good! Happy to wait.

ForTheGram

Postby ForTheGram » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:50 am

I’m having the same issue.... photo sequence not loading when live mode is enabled... any solution?
Thank you

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:08 pm

Hi forthegram and samframe,
The new beta build with the fix I hope will revive live-view on the Canon 70D is now available. Please check your private messages for instructions.

samframe

Postby samframe » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:40 pm

Awesome — that's fixed it! Thanks :)

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:45 pm

Great thanks so much for letting me know!
So just to confirm:
- in settings APP -> wifibooth, all switches are OFF
- live view works as you expect

samframe

Postby samframe » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:15 pm

— Live View only works when all the switches are ON.
— When switches are OFF, live view doesn't appear but the camera still triggers as expected and appear in the gallery.

Side Question (and I can open a new thread if you like) - When shooting a single image, I can't seem to progress through the gallery without selecting more than 1 image. The Gallery screen says "Choose up to 6 photos" but I've only taken 1, and only require 1. Autopilot is turned off. Number of photos is set to 1. Layout and Collage is set to Auto. (single image portrait is ideally what I'm after).

samframe

Postby samframe » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:40 pm

Sorry - In "settings » apps » wifibooth" all switches are "off", except for "camera & mobile data".

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:00 am

Thanks samframe.
A single photo isnt a collage, so you won’t progress to the collage screen until two are chosen. But you can select the single photo from the gallery and perform actions on it directly.

Return to “Help: Cameras with Built-in WiFi”