Problems with latest version

Built-in WiFi only.
psou

Problems with latest version

Postby psou » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:20 pm

Hi there,

I have upgraded to the latest version and have these problems (iPad Air2, Canon 4000d, Wifi router, dnp wps pro):

1. While working with raw+jpeg we get an error message for large files asking to reduce quality. This wasn't an issue before.
2. Printing stops randomly although, no errors popup (the printer is off course connected and online).
3. Mpeg4 works for 2-3 shots and then it just turns off for no apparent reason.

Kindly advise, thanks!

tim
Site Admin

Re: Problems with latest version

Postby tim » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:25 pm

Hi psou,

Can you please confirm you're running 4.10.2 ?

Answering with the same numbers:
1) Nothing has changed here for a long time. You can safely ignore this error unless the app starts crashing (because it runs out of memory due to the images too big).
2) Is your iPad running iOS 13? Did you start having this problem with printing when you updated to iOS 13? If yes, then please try the beta - i'll send this in a PM
3) MP4s will be recorded only if there's enough live-view frames arriving. If the connection to the camera is such that sometimes there are not enough liveview frames, then sometimes MP4s will not be recorded. To test this out, you can switch to the iPad camera - MP4s should always record with the iPad camera. Let me know how this goes.

thanks
-tim
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:38 pm

... update: please try build 5642 available on testflight.
I am concerned about your DNP WPS printing issue and want to know if that still happens.
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

psou

Postby psou » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:16 pm

Hi there Tim!

iPad Air2 running iOS 12.3.1
Wifibooth version 4.10.1 build 5630

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:16 pm

Hi Psou,
OK.
First: do not upgrade to iOS 13 yet. There are lots of issues being worked out there - Apple has a lot of bugs to fix.
Next: please update to wifibooth 4.10.3 using the App Store, and tell me if you can reproduce the printing issue with your DNP WPS unit. If so, please tell me the steps you take to make the issue happen, and, what error(s) you see when it does.

psou

Postby psou » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:23 pm

Ok will do and revert.

Regarding mpeg4's I think that there must be a bug because, if I restart wifibooth then it will record 2-3 vids before it stops again. This indicates that it is not the cameras fault for dropping frames nor the connection.

One last note, in my last event printing problems stoped when I reduced the quality (ex file size) of the images captured but I am not 100% sure if I didn't change anything else. This will not work for me in the long run because, I also need the raw files for some basic post.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:38 pm

You're talking about the Canon 4000d taking 2 or 3 photos, and then MP4s don't get generated anymore? That sounds very strange, never seen that. What else does your setup have - what's wifi like?

Regarding printing: you should shoot RAW+JPG, use the RAWs for your own post, Wifibooth will only download the JPGs.
If you can find a definite link between JPG size and DNP WPS not printing, that is very interesting. Let me know.

Oh: what happens if you set the image size to as large as you want on the camera, but set "Downsize images to print resolution" to ON in Event Settings -> Taking Photos .... does that fix printing?

psou

Postby psou » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:00 pm

You're talking about the Canon 4000d taking 2 or 3 photos, and then MP4s don't get generated anymore? That sounds very strange, never seen that. What else does your setup have - what's wifi like?
Correct, 4000d. Live view continues to work offourse. No overheating camera issues since my setup is cooled.
My setup:
Canon 4000d, TP link wireless router with QoS service, iPad Air2, DNP WPS PRO, DNP RX HS1. Camera, iPad and router are in the same box. If I try to move away the router then I get lag and connection issues.
Regarding printing: you should shoot RAW+JPG, use the RAWs for your own post, Wifibooth will only download the JPGs.
If you can find a definite link between JPG size and DNP WPS not printing, that is very interesting. Let me know. Oh: what happens if you set the image size to as large as you want on the camera, but set "Downsize images to print resolution" to ON in Event Settings -> Taking Photos .... does that fix printing?
This is what I am actually using from day 1. If I set the camera to raw+jpeg and the downscale option I get degraded performance compared with just JPEG in low res. Reverting after tomorrows event.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:05 pm

I don't understand what you mean by "reverting" what are you reverting from -> to?

Do you print mostly collages, or single photos?
I'm wondering if Wifibooth isn't resizing down to print resolution in some case for DNP. It should be. If there is a bug lurking, it would likely not be for collages...

Also, when you say degraded performance what do you mean exactly: the ipad is slower? the quality of the photos is worse? which one?

psou

Postby psou » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:14 pm

I don't understand what you mean by "reverting" what are you reverting from -> to?
I will try it and revert with information to you (get back to you)!
Do you print mostly collages, or single photos?
I mostly have it on autopilot with single image but in the last event I had it take 2 photos and make a collage.
I'm wondering if Wifibooth isn't resizing down to print resolution in some case for DNP. It should be. If there is a bug lurking, it would likely not be for collages...
Could be, not sure if I can check this or not.
Also, when you say degraded performance what do you mean exactly: the ipad is slower? the quality of the photos is worse? which one?
The time after the shot appears on the screen is significally more if I have the RAW+JPEG option.

psou

Postby psou » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:15 am

Dear Tim, I have feedback from last night's event.

The good news are that I had (almost) no printing problems.

And now the bad news:
The app crashed 3 times during 4 hours of usage and this happened right before the print dialog (2 shots auto collage with branding, autopilot print 1 pic).
These prints were not sent to the printer and I had to do this manually.

Regarding Mpeg4/Gifs:

I started with mpeg4 enabled and the camera set to raw+jpeg. It recorded one mpeg4 and then stopped. I then switched the camera to low res jpeg (S1 for Canon) and nothing changed. Then I switched to gifs with the same low res and it started capturing. The gifs (nor the mpeg4's) did not show up on the screen during the image processing as it used to in older versions. I could see them in the gallery though. After about an hour of usage the gifs stopped recording for no apparent reason and I had to restart the app once again.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:52 pm

Hi Psou
Thanks for the feedback.
I don't think I can see your crashes: I only see one crash from an iOS 12 user from Nov. 1 until now, and that was on an iPad 6th gen (2018), not your iPad Air2.
Can you please make sure the ipad has internet connectivity, and start wifibooth up and let it run from a minute or two? If there are queued crash logs, that will get them to upload.

Re MP4s I am waiting for Apple to approve a build that has logging, when it is ready I'm going to ask you to run it and send me the logs. That should explain to me what is happening...

psou

Postby psou » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:54 am

Hi there Tim,
Thanks for the feedback.
I don't think I can see your crashes: I only see one crash from an iOS 12 user from Nov. 1 until now, and that was on an iPad 6th gen (2018), not your iPad Air2.
Can you please make sure the ipad has internet connectivity, and start wifibooth up and let it run from a minute or two? If there are queued crash logs, that will get them to upload.
My iPad was online for hours after the crashes since it also uploaded images on a fb page realtime.
Re MP4s I am waiting for Apple to approve a build that has logging, when it is ready I'm going to ask you to run it and send me the logs. That should explain to me what is happening...
Please also note that there is a problem with GIFS since they may be recorded but not depicted on the screen when they should.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:22 pm

OK.

Please note that GIFs/MP4s are only displayed during the progress ring / download phase if the last time photos were downloaded, the download took 4 seconds or longer. In other words, if your camera is quickly downloading things, the iPad will not show the GIFs/MP4s during download.

Regarding MP4s not recording for you: I have found one potential bug that could cause this, and i'm working on that now.

Regarding GIFs, did I understand you correctly, that at least once you saw GIFs stop *recording*, ie. they did not display in the gallery anymore?

psou

Postby psou » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:07 pm

Please note that GIFs/MP4s are only displayed during the progress ring / download phase if the last time photos were downloaded, the download took 4 seconds or longer. In other words, if your camera is quickly downloading things, the iPad will not show the GIFs/MP4s during download.
GIFS showed up in previous versions with the same setup. I would say it takes way more than 4 secs to dl images!
Regarding MP4s not recording for you: I have found one potential bug that could cause this, and i'm working on that now.
Good news!
Regarding GIFs, did I understand you correctly, that at least once you saw GIFs stop *recording*, ie. they did not display in the gallery anymore?
Correct, the same thing as with MP4s

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:59 am

For others reading this thread: psou has helpfully provided me with logs and several issues have been fixed for the upcoming 4.10.4 release, including a workaround for (another) iOS 13 bug. Thanks psou!

Return to “Help: Cameras with Built-in WiFi”