Wifibooth Crashing every 5-10 mins of use

Built-in WiFi only.
Charles

Wifibooth Crashing every 5-10 mins of use

Postby Charles » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:06 am

Hi Tim,

Yesterday i had a really bad experience with wifibooth at an event

1. Wifibooth kept crashing every 5-10 mins.
2. had to turn off the camera restart wifi on camera
3. closed the all tabs on the ipad
4. then re connect camera to ipad
5. re-open wifibooth to connect
6. it took 2-3mins to reconnect.

this wasn't an issue before i updated to latest version 4.10.2. it was slow but never crashed on me. it really didnt look professional in front of my clients.

please advise

tim
Site Admin

Re: Wifibooth Crashing every 5-10 mins of use

Postby tim » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:40 am

Hi Charles
Lets figure out what happened...
Can you please go to Settings App -> General -> About, and touch the "Software version" row so it changes to show the (xxxx). Can you tell me what's there, ie. "13.2 (17B84)". Note: if this is 13.0 or 13.1, that is the problem: please update to 13.2 to avoid several crashing iOS bugs.
Then in Settings app go to Wifibooth at the bottom left, scroll the right pane to the bottom and tell me the version + build number you see there.
Let me know what versions you see.
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

Charles

Postby Charles » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:01 am

Hi Tim,

so am using 13.1.3

and updating to 13.2 right now

ver. 4.10.2, build 5637

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:26 am

Hi Charles,
Great, that will hopefully help: in iOS 13.0 and 13.1.x there's a bug that causes a crash when video is playing. On the Wifibooth Gallery screen, lots of videos can be playing.
Please also update Wifibooth to 4.10.3 (released today), which contains further fixes (not for crashes specifically but other cosmetic issues)
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

Charles

Postby Charles » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:25 pm

Hi TIm,

thanks, and updating wifibooth.

Ipad os still downloading.

ive been reading a lot of post where os13.2 has a lot of app crashes and buggy apps.

also would like to ask you, what would be the ideal setup configuration for using wifibooth.

for me what i think would be ideal was

1. wifi router with print serve capable
2. printer plug to router
3. canon dslr connected to router.
4. ipad connected to router.

am i correct with this setup. if not please advise.

also checking out airkonv 2.0 to use as a printer server any suggestion to how to set this up with wifibooth

thanks

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:19 pm

Hi Charles,

AirKonv works but has the same issues with iOS 13 as all other print servers, the result being you have to use the (newly introduced) manual airprint option in wifibooth. This means AutoPilot=Full doesn't print anymore (there's an extra step of hitting the print button every time).

iOS 13.2 is definitely the best release of iOS 13 so far. But if I were on iOS 12, I would not upgrade to iOS 13.

Regarding your setup: 3 & 4 are correct. But I would not use the router to be a print-server, as most "print servers" are terrible versions of CUPSd and not maintained properly. You do not need a print server with Wifibooth if it supports AirPrint, just connect the network (ethernet or wifi) of the printer directly to the router. If your printer doesn't support airprint then the answer depends on which printer it is...

Charles

Postby Charles » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:27 pm

Ok Tim,

But can os 13 be downgraded to os 12?

If so how to proceed in doing this?

What would be the ideal setup for wifibooth?
As i think canon is better in terms of wifi.
And i just ordered the RX1 so no air print there.

Just trying to figure out what my best options is as per availability in my country.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:35 pm

Hi Charles,

You can google for how to downgrade to iOS 12. I'm not sure if it is still possible, as Apple stops signing prior versions of iOS usually a month after the new one...

In my opinion the idea setup for Wifibooth is using an iPhone with dual or triple camera as the camera (ie. iPhone 11), as this has magic screen and that works well for photobooth. But everyone has their own opinion which is why Wifibooth supports them all.
The RX1 is DNP, you should buy the DNP WPS Pro unit.

Charles

Postby Charles » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:42 pm

Tim, Yeah i just saw that ios 12 is no loger supported.

i guess were stuck till it gets more stable.

but i cant afford to go to gig's and having my clients always coming to say hey the booth isnt working.

do you think the reason it crashed was because i used the continuos eye/face detection? cause the app crashing wasn't happening in my last event. even with os 13. it was the latest update 2 updates that came out that i updated that this started.

so ok..

my only and best option is the DNP WPS. do you have any opinion/experience on how good it is?

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:45 pm

Hi charles
as i mentioned in my first reply the crash you probably experienced was related to video, a bug in iOS 13.0 and 13.1 that Apple fixed in 13.2.

DNP WPS pro is good but don't use it as a router, as its wifi isn't the best for that

Charles

Postby Charles » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:40 pm

ok Tim.

trying to downgrade to os 12.

how would i connect printer with wps if its not wifi? isnt that the purpose of the wps.

1. Printer connected with WPS
2. WPS connected to router
3. canon dslr connected to router.
4. ipad connected to router.

this Set up?

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:56 pm

Yes. The trick is #2: make sure that router has both wifi and ethernet ports, then connect the WPS Pro to the router via ethernet, not wifi.
You can get plug-style routers that do this, like this one (OLD! but worked for me years ago): https://www.amazon.ca/D-Link-All-in-One ... B0081TXIQA

Charles

Postby Charles » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:03 pm

Thanks Tim,

its now more clear to me..

is there any other option that the DNP WPS?
but one other question! why does it have to be Wifi and Ethernet? if am only using ethernet? :P

well i have a Dlink-2750u and was thinking of using that.

I dont think i be able to find that where am at unless i order it.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:12 pm

If the router has only ethernet, how will you connect the ipad or camera to it?

You can try AirKonv but I do not actively endorse it as I don't know that it will work well in the future.
DNP WPS is a product supported by the company that made the printer. If you're making a pro setup i'd go the route that has support.

Charles

Postby Charles » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:29 pm

hahaha true true true...

yeah think will be my best option..

just trying to figure out if customs wont have any issues with me bringing that in.

as right now the work am getting is only email and just plain booth with just digital copies.

would os 12 support the updates which has been made to os 13? for eg the google mail display name?

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:57 pm

Yes. At this point all functionality of wifibooth works on ios 12!

Return to “Help: Cameras with Built-in WiFi”