Photos not synced from camera to iPad

Built-in WiFi only.
mtmatefi

Photos not synced from camera to iPad

Postby mtmatefi » Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:44 pm

Hi Tim,

I'm running from one issue into an other. Somehow the images are not transferd after they have been taken.
I got the following setup:
Sony A7R3
iPad Air 2

Autopilot = collage
Video Recording = off

It starts with the transfer but then the "circle" disappears and there are no photos on the tablet. On the camera of course I got them.
Misconfiguration of app or camera or both?

It worked before we run through the "bluetooth-liveview" issue. During this process I updates the firmware of my camera. Beside that, I changed nothing.

tim
Site Admin

Re: Photos not synced from camera to iPad

Postby tim » Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:43 pm

Please check that JPGs are being saved by the canera on the card. Also check for areas in wifibooth status area top right (wifi icon).
Is playmemories app up to date? What version? I wonder if the app was downgraded when you changed the firmware.

Was it ever downloading photoos before?
Is the camera on normal photo mode ie not set to video or whatever?
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

mtmatefi

Postby mtmatefi » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:53 pm

The A7R3 doesnt have the PlayMemoriesApp on it, its built in functionality.
I save JPG, I tried it as well in different qualities.
With the older firmware 3.0.0 it worked, but you asked to update because of the liveview issue, now Im on 3.0.1 and with that, as in many other posts I saw, I do not get the images synced.
downgradig is not possible.
I also check all your tips you had in the other posts, none of them worked.
May get a Sony A73 or A7R3 camera with the newest firmware, pretty sure, there was a change on the access, so your up needs an update for all those sony cameras.
If I can test something, or help in any case, please do not hesitate to ask.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:15 pm

OK please try the free app Cascable and tell me if that works
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

weakmap

Postby weakmap » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:19 pm

This app works like a charm. at least when it comes to taking photos. It's super fast. However if I want to display the photos on my iphone it also takes ~8secs to show all the photos. (a preview of all the photos, to see a "big" photo I would have to buy this app)

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:03 pm

Hi weakmap,
Are you saying that Cascable works well with your Panasonic GH5, but not with Wifibooth? If that's the case then that is very valuable feedback, let me know

weakmap

Postby weakmap » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:48 pm

Let me try to summarize;

All tested with GH5, latest Firmware:

Wifibooth on iPad mini (ios 12):
- unstable connection
- taking a photo is slow (takes up to 3 seconds until the photo is actually being taken)
- Showing the picture after taking the photo takes ~20 seconds

Wifibooth on iPhone X (ios 13)
- super unstable connection
- taking photos is in 99% of the cases not possible
- showing the photo not possible at all
- app crashed twice

Cascable on iphone X (ios 13)
- Connection to camera works very stable
- Taking a photo takes ~500ms
- Cascable only supports showing all photos at once. At 10 photos, this took ~8secs

Panasonic Image App on ipone X (ios 13)
- Connection to camera works very stable
- Taking a photos is instant
- Viewing photos takes ~1.5 secs

Before each test, I formatted the SD card, restarted the camera and knocked 3 times on wood.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:53 pm

Thanks, that's very useful. Sounds like you've found a bug in Wifibooth. I'll try to get a GH5 in the office so I can hunt it.
In the meantime, just checking: on your iPhone is that iOS 13.3, or an older flavor of iOS 13? (Some older flavors have exceptionally nasty bugs)

weakmap

Postby weakmap » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:21 pm

I have the latest version of iOS.
If I can help with anything, wireshark, debug whatever foobar stuff helps, just tell me.

One last piece of info, I'm shooting on automatic mode, tried 4:3 and 16:9 and set the image quality to both high and super low during my tests. Nothing of what I did had any effect.

weakmap

Postby weakmap » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:32 pm

Oh man.. I just noticed I switched from my original thread (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1841) to this thread here. Sorry, don't know why I did this. Should we go back to the original thread to keep things in there and not hijack others?

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:34 pm

Yes please. Don't worry about it. I'll reply back on that other thread when I have some news.

mtmatefi

Postby mtmatefi » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:02 pm

OK please try the free app Cascable and tell me if that works
No success
I guess that either Sony changed the settings on the new Update or they restricted it some how.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:16 pm

In that case there’ll be a bugfix out soon from my side - that sounds like a bug on my side... will post back here when i get news

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:14 am

Hi mtmatefi,
Today I grabbed a Sony A7r3, updated its firmware to 3.10, and tested on my iPad Pro 10.5" (iOS 13.3) and my iPad Air 1 (iOS 12).
I had no issues connecting, taking photos, or downloading them - wifibooth worked well.
You might try resetting your camera to factory default settings, see if that helps.
Also, you should format the memory card in the camera, take one photo with the camera, and THEN try connecting to wifibooth.
Finally, Menu -> "Network1" page, "Ctrl w/ Smartphone" is the menu option I used on the camera to connect the wifi -- just making sure you are doing the same.

EJC

Postby EJC » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:09 pm

If I have the Sony A7r3 and I updated the firmware. Is there any other apps or things to download to connect to wifi booth?

So far ive read smart remote and cascalable and even then it works without it. After contacting sony to update the smart remote they said i have to download image edge. Could someone please just provide clarity.

Thanks
Matt

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:51 pm

Hi Matt
If it connects to cascable i guarantee the same connection works to wifibooth.
If that is a cam that runs the sony smart remote app start with trying that

EJC

Postby EJC » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:25 pm

Hi Tim

Yeah the A7r III does not have Smart Remote. I updated all firmware then I downloaded Cascalable. I Press the Menu button on my camera and navigate to Network then Ctrl w/ Smartphone. Then Once the camera is ready, it will displayed a QR Code… Once connected the live view was blurry and I couldn't see the photos in the gallery. Any advice?

What would be the best camera for wifi booth, ipad, canon selphie printer? Or can I get high quality from the app using the A7r3?

Thanks
Matt

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:41 pm

Hmm if the live view is blurry try going to settings app -> wifibooth and turn on "live view prefers quality over frame rate" and restart wifibooth. I think this will not have an effect on Sony cameras but it is an easy thing to try.
Otherwise: are you saying that Wifibooth is blurry and Cacscable app is not blurry?

Return to “Help: Cameras with Built-in WiFi”