Compact Cameras

Built-in WiFi only.
Shellmlh159

Compact Cameras

Postby Shellmlh159 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:13 am

Hi

I’d like to do a photo booth for a friends birthday. My camera knowledge is little to none. Can I connect a Canon G9 X Mark ii via a cable to my iPad Pro? I’ve looked at DSLR cameras but don’t want to spend that much as I doubt I’d use it a lot. I don’t want to use my iPhone as a the Camera at the party and it’s at a remote location so I don’t know what WiFi will be like. Any camera suggestions or advice greatly received.

tim
Site Admin

Re: Compact Cameras

Postby tim » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:14 am

Hi there
No, cable connections require EOS canon cameras.
Can you rent one?
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

Shellmlh159

Postby Shellmlh159 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:10 pm

Hi Tim

Thank you for your suggestion. So I’ve re-evaluate things after looking at renting/purchasing and wanting to use a cable. I’ve decided to buy a DSLR. I’ve been looking at the M50 against the M50 Mark ii, they seem to come up as a good choice beginner camera. As someone who knows what they are looking at would you recommend the M50 or M50 Mark ii or is there something around the same price I should be going for? Sorry for all the questions, there’s a lot out there and not sure what to go for? Your recommendation would be really helpful to an uneducated camera shopper.

Kind regards
Michelle

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:23 pm

Hi Michelle,
No problem happy to help!
In my opinion in matters a lot whether you will use this camera almost always only for photo booth, or, if you'll use it as an actual camera too.
If it's almost always for photo booth, i'd look at a used Canon 80D with the default/kit lens. This is the kind of camera that's perfect for photobooth: can change controls while tethered, super fast, more than enough quality & resolution of photos, flash hotshoe, etc
If you're going to use it as an actual camera, then it really depends on what you want as your actual camera -- if you're a pro that's one thing, if it's more for family photos that's another thing, and so on.
Personally I do my photobooths with a Canon 750D or 80D, and shoot with either Fuji mirrorless or Nikon DSLR.
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

Shellmlh159

Postby Shellmlh159 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:01 am

Hi Tim

Thank you for the advice. After all that searching I’ve been gifted a canon m6 mark ii. I see someone managed to connect an iPad via a cable to their canon M50. Would I be able to do this with a standard a usbc to usbc cable with my camera or do I need something else?

Many thanks

Michelle

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:53 am

Yes that should work!

aluminumwelder

Postby aluminumwelder » Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:15 pm

how does the M6II work for you? it is one of the best cameras for a photobooth IMHO. the M50 and M50II are basically the same, I'd get the M50 if I was on a budget.

Shellmlh159

Postby Shellmlh159 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:24 pm

I used it for a friends 40th birthday. It takes a minute to recognise the camera once connected via the cable but we were really pleased with the ease of use and the results. The photo booth was a huge hit with everyone. I’m no camera expert but am really pleased with my M6 mark ii.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:30 pm

Fantastic well done!
You can likely speed up initial connection time if the memory card is blank when you start.

Shellmlh159

Postby Shellmlh159 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:51 pm

Everyone asked about the app I’d used. The movable countdown, giving time to pose with props and the video playback was fab. They will definitely be downloading on any future events.
Thanks for the advise about the card being empty. The slight delay without knowledge didn’t affect anyone’s love of your app. We have amazing photos without the cost of a professional photographer. 5🌟

Return to “Help: Cameras with Built-in WiFi”