Nikon D3300 with WU-1a Adapter

Built-in WiFi only.
Garrett

Nikon D3300 with WU-1a Adapter

Postby Garrett » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:52 pm

Hello! I recently downloaded your application and it doesn't seem to be able to connect to a Nikon D3300 using the WU-1a Wi-Fi Adapter. I am able to connect and take pictures with Nikon's proprietary WMU app but not with WiFi Booth. I chose the setting for built-in WiFi in your app but then it just hangs there trying to connect and never establishing a connection. Please help! Thanks!

tim
Site Admin

Re: Nikon D3300 with WU-1a Adapter

Postby tim » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:45 am

Hi Garrett

Sorry that it's not working for you. I tested the WU-1b and it works, but I don't have a WU-1a to test. I assume it should work however, as these units seem to be exactly the same except for the connector style.
Can you please powering down your ipad, starting it back up, power cycling your camera, connecting the iPad to the camera wifi, and then directly launching wifibooth? there may be some conflict where the WMU app holds the port open and does not release it.
For Nikon, the wifibooth app is attempting to connect every 30 seconds to fixed IP addresses of 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2. If you know how, you could check that your WU-1a is at one of those addresses by connecting a computer to the camera's wifi and looking at the gateway IP address.

cheers
-tim

Garrett

Postby Garrett » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:15 pm

Thanks Tim, I'll try that when I get a chance. The app looks great by the way, I saw your comment on the instructables DIY photo booth page which led me here. As I was reading the article, I thought, why doesn't someone just make an app that does all this and links with a DSLR, so I'm so glad you made it, I just hope I can get it to work!

Garrett

Postby Garrett » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:27 pm

OK so here's where I'm at: power cycling as you suggested did not help, unfortunately. The gateway is 192.168.1.1 and I can still connect with the WMU app. I downloaded shuttersnitch and I'm able to connect to the wifi just fine using the PTP/IP protocol. When I do this there is a blinking green light on the WU-1a unit that goes to a solid green once connected. If I force close shuttersnitch the LED goes back to blinking. The same thing happens in the Nikon WMU app (blinking green to solid green when connected, back to blinking green when force closed). Now, when I attempt to connect using the wifi booth, it shows the iPad is connected to the Nikon wifi network with an iPad IP address of 192.168.1.2 in the bottom right section of the app but it does not not connect. After several seconds, that information clears out, the iPad disconnects from the Nikon wifi network entirely and the WU-1a unit goes from blinking green to blinking red. In a few moments the blinking red changes back to blinking green, the iPad re-establishes the connection, and the booth information in the bottom right re-populates with the Nikon wifi network information, but will not create a connection to the point where the blinking green on the unit goes steady. This cycle repeats indefinitely. I'm thinking that blinking green = ready, solid green = connected, and blinking red = error/reset. So it seems that for some reason when the wifi booth attempts to establish the connection to the camera, it crashes the unit's network and forces it to reset, disconnecting the iPad from the network in the process. I'm at a loss as to what to do next as there don't seem to be any additional settings in the app for me to try something else settings-wise. I really wanted this to work, as it seems like the only other options out there for iPad connectivity are the Nikon WMU app and shuttersnitch. The WMU app is terrible as a photo booth interface and shuttersnitch is a nice app, but doesn't have the same photo booth feel to it as the beautiful app you've created here! Shuttersnitch also lacks live view and shutter release functionality. If you can think of anything else, please let me know. Otherwise, perhaps in the future you can release an update so that the app interfaces with the WU-1a. Keeping my fingers crossed!

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:42 am

Hi Garett,
It definitely sounds like a problem with my app. I would really like to fix it for you.
Can you please email me at this address, so I can help you? tim at the wifi booth (dot com)
thanks
tim

Garrett

Postby Garrett » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:15 pm

Hi Tim,

I was just wondering if you ever made any progress with this, and if support for the WU-1a adapter will be coming in an update soon.

Thanks!

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:23 am

Hi Garett sorry for the delay.
Here's a quick recap so far:
1) you made me aware of the issue (ages ago)
2) I made a version with more logging for you, so I could find the bug
3) Apple rejected the update, due to the way Instagram photos are handled -- regardless of the fact that the update had nothing to do with Instagram photos and the app has handled instagram photos the same way since the very first release
4) It took 5 weeks of constantly emailing, calling, and filling out web forms to Apple but eventually I got ahold of a human being who had the authority to make decisions, and we reached a compromise for the way Instagram photos are handled. The bad news: it requires a redesign of my app's main screen
5) I talked to my designer (near the end of october I believe) and the work is on his queue
I'm now waiting for the designer to complete the redesign of the app's main screen, which I hope he'll do in the next two weeks. Then it will take me about 1 week of work to implement the changes. The bad news: I'm in the middle of relocating my family overseas, so things are very crazy right now. Nonetheless I hope to have time during the holidays to work on it. We will see.

In any case i'm sorry for the delay. Although it's entirely Apple's fault for changing their policies, it is a shame that it has affected you like this...
I will post back here when there is progress.

Anouchka

Postby Anouchka » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:31 pm

Hello
I am having an issue with my Nikon d3300. More specifically with the wireless adapter. It is not being detected by my iPhone 6s in wifi settings. Although the wifi option is turned on, on the camera. Could you please help?

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:01 pm

Sorry that is not to do with wifibooth and i don't have that nikon adapter. Please contact nikon support

Anouchka

Postby Anouchka » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:27 am

Ok thanks

GIANNICAST

Postby GIANNICAST » Tue May 23, 2017 3:10 pm

Hello,
now is the app working with Nikon D3300 and the WU-1a Adapter?

Thanks

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Tue May 23, 2017 3:14 pm

Yes, the WU-1a should be working fine. You don't have to buy the app to find out if it works for you: all features work before you make any purchase. Please try it out for free and come back here if you have any problems.
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

ctragueta

Postby ctragueta » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:30 am

Hi.
I just bought the app to use with my Nikon D3200 with wu-1a adapter. It connect perfectly, but when I try to download any photo from the camera It fails. The led star blink in red and the connection stop. So I need to start the proceed to connect again. Impossible to download photos.
Can somebody help me? Tks

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:02 am

Hi ctragueta,
Can you please check that your camera is set to make JPG files (not RAW), and that the size is not huge (ie. try smallest for now) ?
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

redfearn5345

Postby redfearn5345 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:07 am

Hi,
I am having similar issues. I discovered the app on the Apple Store, loved it, bought the recommended wu1a adaptor for my Nikon 3200, managed to get it connected to my iphone7plus, using the Nikon Utility app I can get the live image from the camera to show (not smoothly), I hit the take photo button its doesn't do anything - going to raise a case with Nikon. I have it set to JPEG normal so shouldn't be an issue imo.
Open the Wifibooth app, go into 'connect a camera' screen, it takes aaaaaaaages to connect to the camera! (2mins).
When it says its connected, I go to the take photo screen, select take photo button and it crashes - spin wheel. :-(
I really want to use this setup for my wedding, but isn't looking likely atm. Please help.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:22 am

Hi Redfearn,
I'm very sorry you're having issues. It's great that you tried that Nikon WMU app first, because if it isn't working well then it's very unlikely wifibooth will work at all.

Two things to try!
1) I did get one tip recently i'll share with you, maybe it will help. If you connect to the WU-1a wifi and open the Nikon WMU app, it is possible in that app to change the wifi settings of the WU-1a. The tip I heard is that if you set it to be an encrypted network (ie. turn on WPA) then it performs better. Maybe try that?

2) Go to Settings App -> Wifibooth -> turn on the LAST switch ("Alt cam libs"), then make sure you kill wifibooth so that it is forced to start new.

When is your wedding? I'd love to get this app working for you.

jabsa07

Postby jabsa07 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:37 pm

help I bought the WU-1A wireless adapter for my Nikon D3300 and loaded the app fine, and I can download pics on the app but when i go into the latest downloads, the pics are there but they are black, I can't see the pics until i upload them to like email or facebook. Why do i just get black pics?

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:47 pm

That is very strange.
What device & version are you using, and which iOS? Example: iPad Air 1 on iOS 11.2
What version of wifibooth is it? (Settings app -> wifibooth -> see bottom)
Are you using iCloud photo library?

Return to “Help: Cameras with Built-in WiFi”