Connecting Nikon wifi to a router?

Built-in WiFi only.
Kaihayshuphotography

Connecting Nikon wifi to a router?

Postby Kaihayshuphotography » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:59 pm

Hi there, I just got the app and my Nikon D750 connected flawlessly to my iPad. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find a way to connect my nikon to my wifi router/hotspot so I can also send email's immediately. Are there any solutions to this? Or is my only option buying a canon camera?

Also is there a way to connect my Nikon directly to a 4G carrier Ipad and use their cell coverage to send emails while I simply use the Wifi to connect the camera?

Thanks!

tim
Site Admin

Re: Connecting Nikon wifi to a router?

Postby tim » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:10 pm

Hi there,
Sorry, no - Nikon cameras cannot connect to wifi, everything must connect to the Nikon. This is very frustrating for me too, I was a Nikon shooter for a long time.
The iPad approach will not work either: it is not possible for any app to have access to wifi and cellular networks separately, ie. internet over cellular and also camera over wifi, all at the same time.
You can at least print via BluePrint, but email, dropbox and twitter are out.

If you're doing this professionally then you could do what I did (as a Nikon shooter): buy a cheap Canon 750D, this is a great camera for a photobooth and the stock 18-55mm lens is more than good enough.
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

Kaihayshuphotography

Postby Kaihayshuphotography » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:59 am

Ugh, dang it. Now I'm wishing I hadn't sold my 17-40L as the last piece of my previous Canon kit. Would you say that the built in wifi for canon cameras is more reliable than getting an eye-fi card for my Nikon D750?

Thanks!

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:17 am

Hi there,
DEFINITELY yes!
Eye-fi is not reliable at all, and most importantly: eye-fi cannot trigger the camera!
The built-in wifi of canon is surprisingly good, specifically on the 750D/760D and 80D. I own Nikon, Canon, and Fuji cameras, and so far Canon wifi has always been the best.

Don't worry about the 17-40L that's waaaaay overkill for a photobooth. The stock 18-55mm lens for a photobooth is definitely good enough, because you're using flash right? So you want to shoot at F8-F11 anyways, where the stock 18-55mm is actually very decent.
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

Return to “Help: Cameras with Built-in WiFi”