Built-in wifi vs Eye-Fi

Built-in WiFi only.
zypie

Built-in wifi vs Eye-Fi

Postby zypie » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:19 am

Hi,

I got an iPad Air 1 and an EOS 6D. (set up with 2 photos and 4s of countdown)
The wifi transfert is slow and I want (if it's possible) accelerate it. (10-15s/photo)
I tried to change the image quality S/M/L but the problem is the same.
I also tried with and without the 4G router.

:arrow: Does Eye-Fi is faster than built-in wifi? (I don't think, but maybe...)

:arrow: Does an iPad Air 2 or iPad Pro will load the photos faster?

I'm going to build a second photobooth and I'm looking for best performances than the one that I already have, and I want to install a printer in it too.

Thanks for your advices.
My wifibooth configuration :

Canon EOS 6D (w/ sector adaptator, no battery) - Canon 24-105 f/4 - Neewer DE 300 (w/ umbrella)
iPad Air 1 + TP Link m7350 4G/LTE router, all on a standalone homemade box.

tim
Site Admin

Re: Built-in wifi vs Eye-Fi

Postby tim » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:31 am

Good questions.
Answers:
1. Eye-Fi is much slower than built-in wifi, and you'd lose the ability to trigger the camera. Built-in wifi is far superior to Eye-fi.
2. Upgrading from iPad Air 1 to a newer iPad will probably not help make it any faster, because the speed issue is probably the wifi throughput, not the processing speed. Newer iPads have better processors, but not better wifi (at least not when talking to your camera). So no, don't upgrade your iPad if you're only trying to fix this.

Here are some things to try. Make sure your image size is set on S, and for testing turn OFF RAW to see if that helps.
A) for testing, try connecting your ipad's wifi directly to your Canon 6D ("Camera mode" in canon terms). Does this make it faster? If so then your wifi router probably is too far away from the camera, or not very good.
B) for testing, try varying the distance between your camera and ipad (assuming you're still in camera mode wifi). They should be about 1 meter apart for optimum testing. Does this make it faster?

If you DO want to spend more money: the 6D is one of the worst wifi performers of all Canon cameras. A cheap Canon 750D is *much much* better! buy one of those? cheaper than an ipad probably :)

let me know what you find and i'll help.
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

zypie

Postby zypie » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:48 am

Thanks for your fast reply.
the 6D is one of the worst wifi performers of all Canon cameras
:lol:

I think i got the answer to my problem lol.
I've already tried all the configurations you says and there are no big differences between configurations.
The iPad is 10cm below the camera I don't think it's a distance problem.

Anyway I did not want to put my my 6D anymore in the new photobooth I will make. I

:arrow: I wanna buy an 1100/1200 or 100D, is it a good choice (about wifi only, not the camera specs.) Are they faster than 6D :?:

edit : oh, there is no wifi on the 1100/1200 and 100D :?

Canon EOS 6D (w/ sector adaptator, no battery) - Canon 24-105 f/4 - Neewer DE 300 (w/ umbrella)

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:56 pm

Yeah. The cheapest canon with wifi is the 1300D aka T6, but I do NOT recommend this camera. It's processor is so slow that the live view isn't fluid at all. It's just not good enough.
The next one up is the 750D aka T6i, this one works really well. I bought one for my photobooths -- it's the cheapest you can go with great quality for everything.
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

zypie

Postby zypie » Sat May 06, 2017 12:17 pm

I've just received an EOS 760D (it was cheapest than the 750, and I prefer the rear control wheel system)
That works really great and fast! The photos loads instantaneously, the red loading circle does not have the time to appears!
Thanks for your advices Tim :mrgreen:
I can now keep my 6D with me and let the 760 inside the photobooth :)

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Sat May 06, 2017 12:41 pm

That's great! Thanks for letting me know.
Looking forward to seeing what you make with the app!!

Return to “Help: Cameras with Built-in WiFi”