Wifi Connection to Camera and Upload?

Built-in WiFi only.
RonTek

Wifi Connection to Camera and Upload?

Postby RonTek » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:01 pm

Hello, at the Moment I am running WifiBooth on an iPad 1, connected to a Canon 6d via Wifi of the Camera. Works like expected – at the End of the event I give out an USB stick with all the pictures taken. So far all is like it should be. The problem starts, when I want to upload the pics, on the fly, to Dropbox. I could do it automatically with the dropbox app itself, but background sync limits this. So, I understand, I have to upgrade to the PRO Events Package, to have only one app in the front, doing everything, without being limited by the system. What I do not understand is: how can I connect to my camera and to the Internet at the same time, no matter via local network or mobile network, when only one connection at a time is possible? Whrere is the benefit in subscribing to the high end package, when there is no real way to use it with a dslr, because there is no way to connect it with a cable. Please help me, where am I wrong? :(

tim
Site Admin

Re: Wifi Connection to Camera and Upload?

Postby tim » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:23 pm

Hi Ron,
This is a great and fair question! :)
The answer is: good news, your Canon 6D is capable of wifi "infrastructure mode". What that means is you have the choice to either connect the wifi of the ipad to your camera ("camera mode"), or you can connect the wifi of your camera to somewhere else ("infrastructure mode"). So the part that you are missing in your understanding is how to connect the ipad to your camera and the internet at the same time, which is definitely possible.

You can do this with your mobile phone acting as a hotspot! Turn your mobile phone's hotspot on, connect your ipad to it, and start up wifibooth (and choose an event, so that wifibooth is looking for the camera). Then on your camera, change the wifi settings so that it connects to your mobile phone's hotspot, and poof: now your iPad has internet access AND connects to the camera.

There are other options too! And there's a handy help article written specifically about this, here:
https://wifibooth.com/article/connectbuiltin-canon/

Let me know if you get stuck.
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

RonTek

Re: Wifi Connection to Camera and Upload?

Postby RonTek » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:37 am

:D
Thank you so far... gonna have to to work on it, this weekend. I will let you now, how it worked. Greetings from sunny Frankonia!

Return to “Help: Cameras with Built-in WiFi”