Version 4

Built-in WiFi only.
jlaskin

Version 4

Postby jlaskin » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:09 am

Hi Tim!

I've thoroughly enjoyed testing Wifibooth with our Canon 5D MKIV as well as joining and reading posts shared in your Wifibooth community forum. The iPhone based Wifibooth app unfortunately is not triggering our DSLR's shutter release, perhaps due to the fact we are still testing your trial iPad based app before purchasing and using it at one of our upcoming photobooth events. You posted a recent request in your online forum for potential v4 beta testers. I'd love to give it a go if we qualify. My email address is info@jerrylaskin.com

Any chance adding a qr based scanning code as in other apps for future versions as well as adding gif and green screen option? Will Facebook be readded as well for social media sharing or is it just Twitter and emailing/Dropbox for now? You offer the only iPad based photobooth app that can accommodate a DSLR which is very attractive to our client photography services. We're all Mac based and am doing our best to avoid going the route of USB DSLR connected Android devices. We prefer to stay on the Mac IOS platform and am surprised and happy to see you are the only developer offering DSLR connectivity. This is superior to having to resort to the much lower res offerings of front facing iPad camera based photobooth apps in order to continue offering our clients the best quality photo at their events.

Thank you and looking forward to testing your upcoming beta.

Jerry 🙂

Jerry Laskin
info@jerrylaskin.com
www.jerrylaskin.com

tim
Site Admin

Re: Version 4

Postby tim » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:03 am

Hi Jerry,
Great, I've invited you to the v4 beta! Please note your device(s) must be in English for this build, as it isn't translated yet.
Here's what you need to do to install v4:
1. On your ipad/iphone, install the Apple app "TestFlight" (free)
2. On your ipad/iphone, open the email you got from apple testflight and touch the button at the bottom to accept the testflight invitation
3. In the testflight app, install WiFi Booth. You can install it over top of the current version if you want to.

I'm not sure why your Canon 5D isn't being triggered by the v3 iPhone app but that should definitely be fixed in v4, please try it for me.

Re QR-code scanning and facebook: please try out the new remote control functionality in v4 and see if this is what you are looking for. Here's how it works:
  • Guest walks up to ipad, sees wifibooth, sees the little callout on the homescreen that they can install the app on their phone. Guest installs the free app on the iphone (no signup, free)
  • Guest starts the app. Within a few seconds, even though guest is NOT on the same wifi / network as the ipad, the guest's iphone finds the ipad and asks the guest if they want to connect
  • Guest chooses to connect. Now the guest can trigger the DSLR via the iPad, and the guest gets copies of the photos they take when they do this.
  • If the guest chooses to make a collage on their on iphone (keeping the ipad free, so that multiple sets of guests can be making collages at the same time!), then they can print it from the iphone via the ipad, just the same as they were on the ipad themselves.
  • Since the collage is saved locally on their iPhone, guests can easily share these photos online. This step isn't easy in v4 at the moment (they have to go to camera roll and do it manually), but I plan to add this for v4.
Please try that out (iphone -> ipad) and let me know if it works for you.

Re greenscreen and other features: no plans in the summer time to add more features, but the future is unlimited...
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

jlaskin

Postby jlaskin » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:35 pm

Thank you! I like the idea of guests tapping into the main photobooth based iPad as a substitute for qr code scanning so long as the established wifi network on the main iPad is working in full swing I'm guessing. This is one of my main concerns on potentially losing the DSLR connection vs. USB hard wired connectivity between DSLR and app on an Android based device.

Also concerned about clients triggering the DSLR with their iPhones while we're running the main iPad also taking pics at the same time at our events.

Looking forward to testing the beta thank you for sharing! How do we get informed about any future updates to the beta or when the final version is up and running?

Regards,

Jerry :)

jlaskin

Postby jlaskin » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:30 pm

Hi Tim!

The beta app no longer locate my canon 5d iv as the version 3 did. It just keeps searching despite both DSLR and app sharing same network.

Please advise thank you!

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:46 pm

Hi Jerry
Some answes to your questions:
1) oh, that's bad that it doesn't find your canon 5D. Did you try repairing your camera? Ie in canon wifi menu, "change settings", pick wifi network again. This is necessary because the underlying library wifibooth uses for camera connectivity has had changes. If this doesnt fix it then please let me know if your camera provides the wifi or how wifi is connected.

2) re worry about guests triggering the camera at bad times - this should not be possible please try it out. Please note guests should NOT have access to your wifi network. This isnt necessary because the remote feature works over bluetooth with no configuration at all.

3) re updates. Beta updates: you will be notified by testflight notifications (unless you didnt allow testflight to send notifications). I plan an update to beta right before or after the weekend. Main app store update: check forums "announcements", wont be before end of next week
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

jlaskin

Postby jlaskin » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:56 pm

Hi Tim!

I cleared and reestablished wifi network access point on 5D but the app continues to search.

Also in email settings I can only select only save and not the Dropbox link option despite the Dropbox links correctly set in your settings. Is this a limitation of the trial version perhaps? In only save email mode does that still permit the ability to have clients email their photos after a pic has been taken?

What's the difference between selecting collages only or all photos toggled on in Dropbox settings as well?

Thank you and hope we can get our DSLR to get recognized by the beta with your assistance. I've rebooted the DSLR as well as your app and restarted the iPad as well.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:05 pm

Hi Jerry
Strange that the 5D is not found because my 750D is found ok. Are you connecting to the camera wifi? If not then then to test can you please make the 5D go to camera mode wifi and try it? Just to see if it fixes the problem

Re dropbox/email no this is not a trial limitation. You just need to log into dropbox (dropbox page), and set up email settings (enter smtp info) first. Then change that setting. Ill make this more obvious in a future version.

Re difference dropbox/collages: it determines whether all photos are uploaded to dropbox or only the collages are uploaded

jlaskin

Postby jlaskin » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:32 pm

Ok using camera as wifi access shared point between DSLR and iPad directly the Wifibooth app recognizes the camera. However when attempting to take a photo, the first of 3 enables shutter, the 2nd attempt does not enable shutter, the 3rd enables shutter than the wifi app hangs with the spinning disk continuing in the 3rd square upper left hand side of screen and red dot in middle.

jlaskin

Postby jlaskin » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:43 pm

Ok I was able to get the iPad app as well as iPhone app bluetoothed to the event to all work when connected to the cameras access point directly. It's only not working when attempting to share our home shared wifi access point via AirPort Extreme. The previous Wifibooth version enabled sharing between DSLR and iPad app, just no control of shutter with iPhone.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:08 pm

Hi Jerry
I'm not sure if I understood you right, but I think you said that in v4, you still can't get the canon working with the ipad unless the ipad connects to the camera wifi directly.
Can you please try unplugging the apple router for a minute, then plugging it back in, then repairing your camera wifi ?
It sometimes happens with my airport express that the upnp implementation on it dies. Power cycling it fixes it.

jlaskin

Postby jlaskin » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:14 pm

Latest development

If I share the iphones personal lte hotspot over both DSLR, iPad and same iPhone access point both devices connect immediately and can enable shutter release on DSLR. I can even use same iPhone that's producing the hotspot to reboot Wifibooth to join an event and control the DSLR as well via Bluetooth.

Unfortunately no matter how many times I attempt to share DSLR and devices via home wifi network the app continues to spin and cannot access the DSLR. I didn't have this issue in previous version.

But if lte personal hotspot is working which is what we need anyway at an event to allow for sharing and emailing of client pics then at least that part of the equation seems resolved all around in this latest version.

Nonetheless Keep us posted on the issue above not being able to access DSLR when sharing via a wifi airport type wireless router.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:30 pm

Ok. Did you try power-cycling the airport?
Or if you have another device providing upnp serviceson the network like a dedicated router try power cycling that... will let you know when next version is ready via testflight - testflight will send a push notification

jlaskin

Postby jlaskin » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:36 pm

Yes I power cycled and restarted the airport router and no connection. Once it finally connected after spinning for 5 minutes or more, but could not enable DSLR shutter release.

But the personal hotspot network works great!

jlaskin

Postby jlaskin » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:12 pm

If wifi signal is not available at an event how does client submit email address with your app to send later when internet is available?

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:36 pm

For offline email support:
Set email to whatever you want (send as attachment, dropbox, whatever)
Guests enter their email addresses while ipad is offline. App tells guests they will receive their emails later
The next time the app gets internet access, the emails will automatically send. You can monitor progress from the first screen (event picker), or the status (wifi) popover.
Let me know if you try it out and if it works for you!!!

jlaskin

Postby jlaskin » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:25 pm

Thank you! Just installed latest beta. The app and Canon 5D mkiii are still hanging and not connecting via shared airport access point as was accomplished in v.3. Using iPhone hotspot all connect without any issues.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:30 pm

You're welcome.
OK thanks for letting me know. I'll reply back here if I need any specific information to fix the problem that your Canon doesn't connect on an Apple Airport.

jlaskin

Postby jlaskin » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:38 pm

Hi Tim! Ever since updating our iOS to 11.1.1 TestFlight is asking for a new code to continue updating and testing wifibooth. Can you submit a fix or an updated code thank you as we’re enjoying testing this wonderful app!

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:18 pm

Hi Jerry,
At the moment there is no testflight build available: 4.0.6 was released on the app store a few hours ago.
When I make the next build for testflight ill make sure to invite you!
Thanks for being a tester!
-tim

Return to “Help: Cameras with Built-in WiFi”