V4: Cannot turn off live view on 1300D

Built-in WiFi only.
apochromatic

V4: Cannot turn off live view on 1300D

Postby apochromatic » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:55 am

I'm using the latest version on wifibooth. I cannot turn off live view on my Canon 1300D / T3i. The button is grayed, and it was working on V3.
Help please.

tim
Site Admin

Re: V4: Cannot turn off live view on 1300D

Postby tim » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:51 pm

Just a small update that I believe i've found the issue. I've contacted the engineer responsible for this area and I hope to get an update out ASAP with the fix for this.
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

apochromatic

Postby apochromatic » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:47 am

Thanks Tim. I hope it will be out for my next wedding, this Saturday.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:15 am

Don't hold your breath for saturday - the fix has been classified as a new feature request because it turns out the 1300D firmware behaves mostly like the EOS M series (not the T* series) and is likely the only cam affected here because it is the only one in that class that will actually work without liveview.
After the fix is made i then have to test it and get it approved by apple, which is unlikely to be possible all by saturday. If the fix is made by thursday then i will try to get you a testflight build with the fix that you could use for saturday.
I will update you here when there is progress.
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

apochromatic

Postby apochromatic » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:07 am

Ok Tim, I keep my fingers crossed!

Paddy2017

Postby Paddy2017 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:49 pm

Hello,

After the current update to version 4.0.1, the connection between my camera (Soyn HX90V) and the Wifi-Booth app no ​​longer works.
Connection over Wlan works but it can not be taken photos.

The connection worked before the update

Is it possible to download the old version again?

Many Thanks

Paddy2017

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:47 pm

Paddy this thread is about the canon 1300D please make a new one. And please note if you were talking about updating 3.x->4.0.1 or 4.0->4.0.1

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:41 pm

@apochromatic the engineer told me he hopes to get this fixed next week

apochromatic

Postby apochromatic » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:03 am

Hi Tim! Any news from your engineer?

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:50 am

He's working on it but it isn't clear yet if it's easily solvable - the issue is that the 1300D uses different kind of firmware than the normal EOS SLRs (750D / 70D etc), more like the EOS M (mirrorless) cams, which don't support shooting without the live view. The 1300D seems to be a one-off. Anyways he's on it... will update you when he has something

apochromatic

Postby apochromatic » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:43 am

The thing I don't understand is that it was working (i.e. the live view could be disabled) on WifiBooth 3. What is different ? It's the same hardware and firmware as before. So the part "which don't support shooting without the live view" is false.
I specifically bought a Canon 1300D because it was working nice with wifibooth (no need for live view, I use flashes in manual mode). If V4 broke that for ever, I would be very disappointed (I already bought the pro pack).

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:40 am

Yes, I understand your frustration, and I'm trying to get v4 working for you. The difference between v3 and v4 is that v3 used a very light-weight camera library to do very basic things. V4 uses a different, more complex & fully-featured library, which supports many more cameras and features. It turns out that the 1300D is a special case for shooting without live-view, and the fully-featured library needs to support that. It's being worked on as we speak, but it isn't necessarily a simple change.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:11 pm

UPDATE, Good news: test build coming tomorrow for you to try.
@Apochromatic Can you please confirm which email address you used last time for Testflight? You can just write the part before the '@' so i can find you in the list

apochromatic

Postby apochromatic » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:56 pm

Good news indeed!

I never used Testflight. I'll send you my address via PM.

apochromatic

Postby apochromatic » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:30 am

Seems to be working tim! Thanks.

I can disable the live view, take pictures, getting the image back, send mail and print it on a Selphy CP-1200. I didn't used it for a full event obviously, but will give news after my next wedding tomorrow.

I notice, sometimes, that the pictures is not taken immediately, but it may have been the case before with V4.
Another thing: I needed to use the app from the App Store to restore my Pro Pack, then install from test flight. Normal?

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:02 am

Thanks for the quick feedback!
Yes it is normal that purchasing/restoring things from the testflight build does not work. Well done on figuring out that you can use the app store version to do this then install over top of it! It is also normal that the testflight build spawns lots of annoying Apple ID password popups which you can't succeed at - just hit cancel on these. They stop a few minutes after launching the app.
Looking forward to your feedback from your wedding!

apochromatic

Postby apochromatic » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:15 am

Hi tim. Here are some news. Rather good news, since the app worked well yesterday.
So, recap of what I used:
- No live view
- Auto Pilot Gallery Only (I find it more useful to show the big picture to the clients, even if the don't use the collage feature).
- No photos "lost" or not showed, or Gallery problems.
- Emailing and printing worked well.

One main issue, but seen before with the v4 (and never in v3) : random loosing of camera connection. That can be difficult to connect it back, since I may need to kill the app and reset the router.
My config used is :
- Canon 1300D
- D-Link DIR-505
- iPad Air 1
- Canon Selphy CP-1200

This seems to be my real problem now, since when it's happening, clients go away from the photobooth.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:56 am

Ok. Any idea if wifi is lost, and where (ie you find ipad is not connected to DIR505 anymore) ? Does it always disconnect after some time like 40min?

You could also try simulating wifi failures to see if you can find a way that wifibooth v4 cannot recover from (but should), for example get it up and running then turn off DIR505... everything should reconnect but perhaps you will find a bug

apochromatic

Postby apochromatic » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:02 am

The connection was lost with the camera, but wifi booth was still connected to the DIR-505. I think it's random, not after a fixed time.

I'll try to test it to see if it can recover from a wifi or camera failure. So it should reconnect automatically to the camera?

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:03 am

If the wifi links are still active then it should reconnect.

Return to “Help: Cameras with Built-in WiFi”