Wifibooth with Nikon D5600

Built-in WiFi only.
kemmi

Wifibooth with Nikon D5600

Postby kemmi » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:50 am

Hi Tim,

quick question, is Wifibooth working with the Nikon D5600? I could not find any information on this camera's compatibility via google.

thanks for your feedback,
Christian

tim
Site Admin

Re: Wifibooth with Nikon D5600

Postby tim » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:50 am

Hi Christian
Yes the app should work fine with the D5600. It is free to try all the features so you can make sure everything works before you buy. Please let me know if anything doesnt work!
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

kemmi

Postby kemmi » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:56 am

Hi Tim,

I am thinking to buy the D5600 to create a photobooth for your iPAD app... I was just not sure with the Nikon D5600 because the SnapBridge Technology seems to use bluetooth and WiFi (and from the webpage it is not clear). I usually have a Nikon D600, but I am not happy with the EyeFi card performance. Quick question - I saw the request of the TP-link MR3040 router and integration into Wifibooth in the blog - are there any news? The TP-link MR3040 router works great and really reliable with the Nikon Cameras (and costs much less than the CamRanger).

I could still go to purchase the Canon 750D, what would you recommend (the cam will be only used for the photobooth).

thanks for your expertise
Christian

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:52 am

Hi Kemmi,
Re the TP-Link MR3040 - that's a standard "portable wifi router". Wifibooth has no special requirements on wifi routers - it'll work with any router that your camera & ipad will connect to. AFAIK the MR3040 will work fine. Beware of setups that require your computer connected to a Nikon, then connected to wifi routers like that MR3040 -- that's not a wifi connection to the camera. That's a tethered cable connection, which wifibooth cannot support, because Apple doesn't allow apps to have access to the physical ports/connectors.

The Nikon D5600 will not connect to your MR3040, because as far as I'm aware, no Nikon camera in existence can connect to anything. Instead, devices like your ipad must connect directly to the Nikon camera. That's because only Canon offers "infrastructure mode" wifi, which basically means "you don't have to connect to me, i'll connect to something else that you tell me about". That's why I definitely recommend the Canon 750D over any Nikon camera. I love Nikon cameras and have shot them professionally for a long time, but for photobooths they are vastly inferior to Canon simply because they don't have infrastructure wifi support (still, argh).
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

kemmi

Postby kemmi » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:00 am

Hi Tim,

thanks for the response - that I'll more go for the Canon D750, even if it is already a bit old.

Greetings from Switzerland,
Christian

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:50 am

Hallo Christian,
OK. One more piece of advice: the Canon 750D does not support having a different exposure for the live view images ("video") than the actual photo it takes. In practice this means that if you use strobe flash for your photobooth, then your live view will be too dark and therefore unusable. If you use constant (always-on) lighting, it will be fine.
So, if you use strobe lighting, consider paying more for the 80D which (as far as I know) *does* support this.

kemmi

Postby kemmi » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:54 am

Hi Tim,

thanks for the advice, I will use my studio flashes that also have a constant light to estimate the shades... so the live view will be probably ok.

I bougth the 750d yesterday, the basic setup was straigthforward by following your webpage, also the TP-MU3040 works well to connect everything. I just still need to integrate the studio flashes and the printer...

thanks for the nice app and your help
Christian

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:25 am

You're welcome! Looking forward to seeing what you create with the app!

kemmi

Postby kemmi » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:20 am

Hi Tim,

I am still struggeling a bit with my photobooth - everything works well, Canon 750d connects with iPadpro properly. However, I would like to use an external flash, connected to the cam via Sync cable - when I set the camera to manual modus my Elinchrom flash works fine with the cam alone, however, when I connect the cam via WiFi and control it with wifibooth, the flash does not work - could you help?

Christian

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:23 am

Hi Christian,
With my elinchrom quadra I use the wireless hotshoe adapter with wifibooth, and that works well together. I've never tried with a sync cable and remote control at the same time.
If you get the official app that goes with your camera (ie. canon's official app for the canon 750D), and you remote-control your camera that way, does the flash work then?

Return to “Help: Cameras with Built-in WiFi”