Wifibooth with Canon M6

Built-in WiFi only.
shaunix

Wifibooth with Canon M6

Postby shaunix » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:46 pm

Followed the instructions over here - https://wifibooth.com/article/connectbuiltin-canon/

I’m trying to connect the M6 directly to the wifi booths iPad(cellular). The camera connects to the ipad(there is a the blue bar at the top of the ipad). M6 shows connecting - start dedicated app on target device. However when I start wifibooth nothing happens. It only happens for this method of connection. I have no issues connecting using a wireless router and using my iPhone’s personal hotspot as the middleman.

There’s a line in the instructions that says
Start the WiFi Booth app and hit “Built-In Wifi”. Leave the app running.
I don’t have any option in the app to select built-in wifi.

Could you advise? Thanks

tim
Site Admin

Re: Wifibooth with Canon M6

Postby tim » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:19 pm

That's tricky for me to guess what is going wrong, but here is what I suggest. It'll sound weird but please try it:
1) turn on iPad hotspot, leave ipad on that screen (hotspot switch on)
2) on your iphone, connect its wifi to the ipad hotspot. Wait until you see the blue bar at the top of the ipad. The blue bar should never go away, not even for a second
3) on the iPad, open wifibooth, set camera to built-in wifi type if it isn't already
4) Connect your camera to the iPad (hopefully it works now)
5) after everything is working, disconnect the iphone from the ipad's wifi (ie. turn your iphone's wifi off)
See if it still works after that.

If that fixes it, then it is because the iPhone is "holding open" the iPad's personal hotspot. Any other device that connects to the ipad's wifi before your camera, like a printer, would also do the same.
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

shaunix

Postby shaunix » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:57 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I followed your steps above but to no avail. Still the same problem. The screen on the camera says start dedicated app on camera and nothing else happens. All this while the Wifibooth app open camera with wifi selected showing - connecting to camera. The camera is connected as the blue bar above says 2 connections(1 from the iphone, 1 from the iPad). Any idea what is wrong?

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:13 pm

What happens if you run the official Canon app on your ipad in the same wifi configuration, does it work?
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

shaunix

Postby shaunix » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:31 pm

Using the Canon camera connect, there’s no option to connect using infrastructure mode. That’s weird, it just prompts me to connect the ipad to the cameras wifi(camera access point mode). Am I using the correct Canon app you are referring to?

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:09 am

Yeah, there's a sentence at the bottom of the first screen "Note that a connection can also be established using the same method as camera connect ver. 1". So yes it should be possible. I'd hit "close" on that white popup window/wizard and just use the app itself

Morda

Postby Morda » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:50 am

Hi Tim,

I am about to buy Canon Eos M6. My question is simple It works on 100% with your app or not? (I mean live stream, external flash etc)

Thanks a lot for your answer.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:48 am

The Canon M6 is supported, but rotation is not rotated (camera probably needs to be oriented in landscape orientation for images to appear properly).
Please note that different cameras have different capabilities. For example if you are using a strobe-flash (not an always-on lighting system) and want to use live view also, then the camera needs to support different exposures for the photo & for live view. This has nothing to do with the app. Canon 750D, 760D do not support this, i'm not sure about the M6. I know the 80D and newer / higher lines support that.

Morda

Postby Morda » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:47 am

Thank you very much for your fast reply. To be honest 80D or higher is a bit "out of my league" so far :-). Well I bought M6 and we will see. I will let you know how it works. Your app looks great and I hope It will be ok.

Again thanks a lot.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:01 am

You're welcome! Good luck - if you have any issues, please start a new thread here and i'll try to help.

Return to “Help: Cameras with Built-in WiFi”