Nikon D850

Built-in WiFi only.
faithfulcountrygirl

Nikon D850

Postby faithfulcountrygirl » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:31 pm

Is Wifibooth compatible with the Nikon D850? I did not see it on your compatibility list, but it's a relatively new body. I currently own a Nikon D810 and D4s - neither of which have built-in WiFi. I'm thinking of upgrading to the Nikon D850 (with built-in WiFi), primarily so that I can use Wifibooth. But don't want to make the purchase without confirming it will be compatible.

tim
Site Admin

Re: Nikon D850

Postby tim » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:39 pm

Im afraid i dont have access to one to tell you, but i expect that it will work.
You probably already realize, but: the D850 is total overkill for a photobooth :) you’d be better off with a cheaper crop-sensor like the 5000- or 7000- series.
Also note that Canon’s wifi is far superior to Nikons because it lets you connect the camera to a router, which enables the ipad to have internet connectivity while connected to the camera. This isnt possible with Nikon. Im a nikon shooter (D800) but I run all my booths on Canons like the 80D or cheaper 750D.
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

faithfulcountrygirl

Postby faithfulcountrygirl » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:05 pm

Hi Tim, Thanks for your speedy response. Yes, I realize the D850 is total overkill for Wifibooth ;) But, since I currently own a D810 and D4s, you can probably tell that I'm a professional with primarily other uses than a photo booth ;) I was looking to upgrade my D810 to the D850 at some point, but it may be sooner rather than later if it solves my wifi issue with your app. The Nikon D750 (while an awesome camera) would be a step down for me on several functionalities, and jumping ship to Canon just for the superior wifi is not a sensible option. I'll hope the D850 works!! If you hear any feedback from your users on this, I'd be grateful! Sounds like a great app. Can't wait to give it a try. Thanks again!

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:09 pm

I will definitely let you know if I learn about the D850.
In the meantime, if you get a chance to play with it in the store: put wifibooth on your iphone and try connecting to it. Wifibooth is free to try and all features work before purchase.
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:11 pm

Bad news good news.
Bad news: D850 is not supported, will not work at the moment.
Good news: the D850 uses Nikon SnapBridge, which is the next things being worked on for camera compatibility. So it's coming... I cannot give you an ETA.
I still recommend getting a cheap canon. The cruddy 18-55mm kit lens is perfectly fine for artificially-lit photobooths (strobe flash, constant lighting, etc)

faithfulcountrygirl

Postby faithfulcountrygirl » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:33 pm

Hey Tim! First let me say I'm so impressed at how quickly and thoroughly you respond. It's obvious you really care about making your product awesome for people, and addressing issues that come up. Which of course makes me want this to work even more!! :) Alas, I can't bring myself to buy a little point and shoot as this would be its only purpose.

I've been researching this for two days straight, and was also coming to the same conclusion about the D850, as the reports on its Wifi and Snapbridge are not favorable at all. My next option was this product from Teather Tools. https://www.tethertools.com/product/cas ... ng-system/ Problem is that this product uses an app to control the camera - which I think would supersede the Wifibooth app. Meaning…I can't use both at the same time. At least that's what they thought at Teather Tools, though they are not familiar with your app.

The workflow I'm looking for is:
1. Guests walk up to the booth, I take their photo with my Nikon D810 or D4s
2. They walk over to iPad kiosk and view their photos, send to their phones, print, etc.

Based on my requirements above, do you think the Teather Tools Case Air would work? And if not, can you recommend another third party WiFi enabler for my Nikons (I don't care which one I use, if that helps)?

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:06 pm

Thanks! Yes you are right, I really want people to have a good experience with my app. Happy customers might tell other people about the app :)
I'm afraid Tether tools will not work with Wifibooth.
At the moment there's no good option for your cameras. I might conceivably add support for CamFi - if I do, I will let you know

faithfulcountrygirl

Postby faithfulcountrygirl » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:11 pm

Ok. (Really sad face). I don't technically need it until the first week of December, which I know isn't far off, but if you come up with a miracle solution between now and then (even if it requires me purchasing a third party product), let me know!

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:18 pm

Will do.
If nothing else, why not rent a canon for the night. Renting is cheap and effective, and you can just pass the cost on to your client.

faithfulcountrygirl

Postby faithfulcountrygirl » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:52 pm

Hey Tim, I sent you a private message yesterday and haven't heard back. Just want to make sure I sent it correctly. I ended up getting a D750 (was looking to anyway, and found a great black Friday deal ;) Got it connected to Wifi booth, but ran into a few challenges, explained in the private message. I'll look forward to hearing from you.

Return to “Help: Cameras with Built-in WiFi”