iPad camera auto focus

Built-in WiFi only.
shuttersqueak

iPad camera auto focus

Postby shuttersqueak » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:25 pm

I used a new 10.5 inch iPad Pro with front facing camera for the first time this weekend at a birthday party, but was sad to discover that once I got the images onto my iMac, many were out of focus, or at least, quite soft. I had AUTOFOCUS turned on under the Taking Photos settings, but I'm not sure it's working with iPad? Anything else I need to set?

Also, is there an option anywhere for the iPad to set manual exposure? I know other photo booth apps can do it, but couldn't find the option in Wifibooth.

Thanks!

tim
Site Admin

Re: iPad camera auto focus

Postby tim » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:21 pm

Hi there,
At the moment device camera always has autofocus on no matter what the setting. Sounds like manual exposure would not have helped you much if the photos were out of focus. That is weird - ive never had a problem with ipad cam before. Were you using the front or back cam?
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

shuttersqueak

Postby shuttersqueak » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:31 pm

Hi Tim,

Thanks so much for the incredibly speedy reply!

You know, the more I examine the photos, the more I suspect it may have simply been blur caused by the subject moving. One thing I noticed in my testing was that the photo doesn't actually get taken until a split second or so after "Cheese" disappears from the screen, by which time the subject may have already moved. It was possibly slow shutter speed, too, as the further they were from the ring light, the more blur there was, especially since they were doing different poses and horsing around...

I was using the front camera so the subjects could see themselves. Knowing there were going to be a lot of kids there,I didn't want to set up my Fuji X-T2 and risk somebody knocking it over. The iPad screen is covered by AppleCare so I was far less concerned about it. :)

This was the first time I've used this, so I'm still learning. :) I'm not a pro or anything... I just set it up for my sister's birthday party for fun, but suspect guests at her party may be asking me to do it for them as well, so I'd like to figure it all out before then. :)

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:34 am

You’re welcome!
I think you are onto the right path here: light falls off very fast with distance from the subject (x^4 if memory serves). So either get your light closer to the subject, or get brighter lights.... i used those cheapish LED construction lights a couple of times, they are very harsh but very bright and work well. Otherwise your fuji powering a strobe flash is a good option
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

Return to “Help: Cameras with Built-in WiFi”