App Crashing with Fuji X-T2

Built-in WiFi only.
jahlheh

App Crashing with Fuji X-T2

Postby jahlheh » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:26 pm

Hi Tim,

I'm having an odd issue where the wifibooth app is crashing randomly when it is connected to the camera. Sometimes it's while the app is idling and sometimes it's after photos have been taken, usually after about 2-5 minutes of being connected. When the app crashes, my camera just turns off too. I don't think it's my camera because the Fuji Cam Remote App seems to have no problems taking photos and doesn't turn off my camera. Any help would be appreciated

1. Camera: Fuji X-T2
2. Tablet: Ipad Air 2 16 GB
3. Wifibooth Version: 4.1.5

tim
Site Admin

Re: App Crashing with Fuji X-T2

Postby tim » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:10 pm

Ouch, that's not good!
I have the Fuji X-T2 so i'll try to reproduce this issue.
In the meantime can you please check the firmware of your cam? Mine is 1.10 (body).
To check, turn the cam OFF, wait a few seconds, hold down the DISP./BACK button, and while holding it down switch the camera on.

Update: can you please also provide the settings you are using on the camera (two SD cards or one? overflow/backup? raw? manual exposure? manual focus? etc), as well as the lens you are using... having trouble tracking this one down
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

jahlheh

Postby jahlheh » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:52 am

Thanks Tim for the quick response :)

Camera Firmware Version: I believe it's 2.00 or greater as I wanted some of the new features but I'll reply back when I'm back home to confirm 100%
EDIT: It is firmware version 2.10
Lens: 18-55 F2.8-4
SD Card: Just 1, I can try with 2 with whatever you suggest
Settings: JPEG, auto-focus, auto exposure. (I couldn't figure out how to do manual exposure...camera seemed to just ignore shutter speed and ISO settings when connected to wifibooth)

To reiterate, it's not a consistent time frame that this happens. I have gotten it to 70% consistently happen if I use a Canon flash on the Fuji (triggered remotely with a Yongnuo trigger)

jahlheh

Postby jahlheh » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:14 am

Hi Tim,

Any progress on this? I have an event coming up in 2 weeks and I just want to make sure all the kinks are worked out beforehand. I could try updating my camera's firmware to 3.0 or anything else you can suggest

Thanks

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:53 am

I have an update coming that might help, but the issue is that this problem only reproduces on specific X-T2s - most of them never do this. I have not found a copy of the X-T2 that does (to test locally).
If you're willing to try a beta/testflight version of the update, you could try and see if it improves the problem or not...
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

jahlheh

Postby jahlheh » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:42 pm

Yes please!! Anything I can do to help :)

Also should I update to the firmware 3.0? Or stay with 2.10?

Thank you!!

jahlheh

Postby jahlheh » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:42 am

I've updated to firmware 3.0 and the same problem, consistent app crash within 2-5 minutes

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:55 am

OK. I apologize again for this hassle, and I really appreciate you sticking through this. I'm still trying 2 different approaches to fix this at the same time. You're actually the only user I have that can easily reproduce this problem, and, is willing to write about it. So I hope you can bear with me...

I hope to get a beta ready today, then Apple will take usually a day or so to allow it out. As soon as that happens, i'll post again here...
In the meantime can you please do me a favor? Using the same camera + iOS device: download the free app called "Cascable" (no in-app purchase required). Please use it to take photos, download photos from your Fuji. Can you make it crash, and if so, does it do so on live view in the 2-5 min mark also?
UPDATE: oops, if you didn't try Cascable yet - hold off on that, it's not updated yet

jahlheh

Postby jahlheh » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:22 am

Seems like the issue is specific to the setting: "live-view on home page". If I turn off this setting, then the app seems to stay up and running and connected, no problem. Even with the setting on, I've never had the app crash while counting down or while taking the photo or transferring the photo so I think the issue may be related to having live view on for an extended period of time (more than a minute or two).

Obviously, with this setting off, this means that guests can't see themselves until they hit the countdown button but I can live this with for now and make the countdown longer.

I'm still willing to test out the beta/test flight if you think I can help in any way, especially with keeping live-view on the home page

Thanks!

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:04 pm

You're spot on - the current idea is that the problem occurs when multiple live-view frames are queued, ie. live view frames come in faster than they can be processed. This would happen more often when live view is on the homepage, and seems to only happen when live view has been on for some minutes. That's not possible when the live view is off on the homescreen because you can't have a countdown of longer than 9 seconds :)

Nevertheless, yes, I'd like you to try the beta when it is available (I'll let you know), because the workaround is that live view frames are no longer queued for fuji. It would be very helpful indeed to know if this fixes the problem!

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:23 pm

Hey good news the beta is already available - apple approved it quickly.

jahlheh

Postby jahlheh » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:43 pm

I tried the beta but I'm still having the same issue :( Anything else you want me to try?

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:54 pm

Damn. Stand by....
UPDATE: deep dive planned tomorrow (friday)

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:21 pm

GREAT news: I have finally reproduced the issue and captured the relevant data.
I hope to have a fix for this available by monday - stay tuned!

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:09 pm

The fix is now available in build 5361 or later, available on Testflight.
If you're not part of the beta and you want to try this build, please send me a PM or reply here. I will need your email address.

jahlheh

Postby jahlheh » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:23 am

Hey Tim,

I tried again and it looks like it's still crashing. As I assume the issue between my camera (X-T2) and the X30 is similar, I'll stay tuned in on that thread so you don't have to repeat yourself. Thanks for all the hard work on this.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:30 am

Thanks Jahlheh! I added you to the new beta build (5401) so you can try it too. Let me know if it is any better

jahlheh

Postby jahlheh » Wed May 02, 2018 3:39 pm

Hey Tim,

Looks like there is NO longer a crashing issue that I can find. :)

It does seem like the live view stutters more in this build making gifs more jittery than even gifs normally are but I'll take that over crashing any day.

Thank you for all your hard work on this. My only concerns now are having to do with some parts of the interface (no printing verbiage when printing, inability to skip the collage and print just the 1 photo vs 3 in a layout, etc.) and print borders with the CP1300 but I'll write up another post about that.

Also printing is way faster with the new blueprint build so thank you on that. Unfortunately, I was unable to test this at an event (couldn't get the new build of wifibooth to connect to the old blueprint cuz I'm dumb) but in testing at home it's very fast to transfer

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Wed May 02, 2018 4:23 pm

Thanks. Looking forward to your other post - now os a great time to get your feedback in.

Re blueprint not connecting: please go to App Store app, updates tab, and make sure wifibooth and blueprint are both up to date!

Return to “Help: Cameras with Built-in WiFi”