App crashes w/ Fujifilm X30

Built-in WiFi only.
bernd

App crashes w/ Fujifilm X30

Postby bernd » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:18 pm

Hi,

I experience crashes with my Fujifilm X30 and Wifibooth. After some time (approx. 1 min to 30 min) the app crashes and the camera seems to power off.

The camera and app pair like expected. I can take pictures and work with the app. After a not predictable time with no obvious use pattern the app crashes and im back on the homescreen of the iPad. The camera seems to power off.

I don't think it's the camera, because the setup with the Fujifilm Camera Remote app runs stable over hours.

Setup:
Fujifilm X30 (firmware 1.03, most recent), power save setting off
iPad Air, iOS 11.2.6
Wifibooth, version 4.1.5

Did somebody experience similar problems? What can I do to debug the problem?

Best regards,
Bernd

tim
Site Admin

Re: App crashes w/ Fujifilm X30

Postby tim » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:38 pm

Hi Bernd,
Please accept my apologies: this is a known issue I am working on at the moment.
In the meantime you can turn off live view on the home screen, and it should work.
If you would like to try a beta build of wifibooth via Apple Testflight, there is a change in there that might fix it. You could try it and see if it helps.

If you're up for that i'll invite your forum email address to the beta. Let me know.
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

bernd

Postby bernd » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:30 am

Hi Tim,

that's great news, this is a known problem and you're already working on it. I would appreciate to be part of the beta and test the possible fix. Not sure if it's important, but I changed my email address to match my Apple ID. Please invite me.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:38 am

OK. unfortunately the fix didn't work, working on another...
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

jyreegozo

Postby jyreegozo » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:51 am

OMG. I have experienced the very same problem too in my Fuji X30. I thought I was the only one. I even thought it was because of the ios 11 update. My event was a major flop bec of this. i needed to use the ipad's camera which compromised quality. Please help

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:32 am

I am working on this every day. The big issue remains the same: it only occurs on certain cameras, ie if you have 5 x-t2s maybe none of them will ever hit this. But a sixth might hit it every 5 mins. I have not found one of these cameras yet.

bernd

Postby bernd » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:31 pm

Hi Tim,

bugfixing w/o a proper reproduction environment is hard. I understand this. If I can be of any help to debug this issue, please let me know. My camera seems to be a good reproduction environment...

Unfortunately, I have problems activating the workaround (no live image). Bu maybe I'm doing it wrong:
I can't deactivate live view while the camera is connected to wifibooth (the button is grayed out/deactivated).
It's possible to deactivate live view before I connect the camera, but it's activated again directly after I reconnect.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:49 pm

Hi Bernd,
The workaround is to change a different setting, not the main live view setting, but the one 3 settings below that: "Live view on home page". This means no live view in the background, but still having live view while the countdown is running.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:19 pm

GREAT news: I have finally reproduced the issue and captured the relevant data.
I hope to have a fix for this available by monday - stay tuned!

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:09 pm

The fix is now available in build 5361 or later, available on Testflight.
If you're not part of the beta and you want to try this build, please send me a PM or reply here. I will need your email address.
UPDATE: Bernd, I updated your forum email address to the beta. Please install the free apple app "TestFlight", then open the email invite you received on the same device where wifibooth runs.

bernd

Postby bernd » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:35 am

Thx for the bugfix! Finally I found some time to test it.

The app doesn't crash anymore. Neither with activated or de-activated "live-view on the homepage" option. But the camera still stops working after some time when live-view is active. I have to turn the camera off and on again to get it back to live.

I can now use the setup with the workaround of deactivating "live preview on homepage". That's already something. Thx for the support so far!

Of course, it would be great to have a working setup including live-view. Do you have any idea how to fix this?

Btw, I cannot reactivate my licensed package on the beta version. Is that a known issue of the beta?

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:39 pm

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.
Next step: can you please download and run the app Cascable from the app store, get it connected to your Fuji, and let the live view run. Does it have the same problem after a while?
Re beta / restore: correct, beta purchases are on a separate system. When on a beta dont restore, just make a new purchase - you will not actually be charged.
At the moment you should not be using the beta, you should be using wifibooth 4.2.0 from the app store. You can update from the beta build to app store build by going to app store->updates

bernd

Postby bernd » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:53 am

Checked the Cascable an the camera. The connection is stable and the app does not crash, neither does the camera.
After I disconnect the app from the camera, I have to restart the camera, because it does not return from wifi mode. This seems to be normal behavior.

I tested with the same configuration wifibooth (beta) and the camera. With "life view on homepage" the wifibooth app cashes after a few minutes (no interactions). The camera has to be restarted like when manually disconnected from Cascable. This is why I don't think that the camera crashes the app. It's more like the app crashes and the camera has to be restarted because the connection was lost.

W/o "life view on homepage" the setup runs stable, also with the stable version of wifibooth.

Can I help with further investigations?

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:57 am

Hi Bernd, if you are still using the beta build of wifibooth then you don't have the fix.
Can you please go to the app store, and update wifibooth to 4.2.0 (build 5363), and try testing with wifibooth again?
thanks

bernd

Postby bernd » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:10 pm

Just testet again with the latest version in the App store. It's 4.2.0. I found no build number. I activated live view on homepage. The app crashed after some minutes.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:53 pm

Ok thanks for this feedback.
As weird as it sounds, please crash it once more the same way and then start the app when the ipad has internet connection. This will make sure i get the crash report. Ill take a look as soon as it arrives

bernd

Postby bernd » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:05 am

I did like requested:
  • Connected to the camera wifi
  • started wifibooth app 4.2.0 with active option "live view at home page"
  • the camera image showed on the home page
  • after ~3 mins the app crashed
  • connected to my local wifi
  • started the app again
I did this at 9 am CET, if this helps to identify the correct report ;-)
Please let me know if I can be further assistance.

Good luck at the bug hunt.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:05 pm

Hi Bernd,

Thanks that is super helpful. Crash reports received -- this one is a tough one (it's a known issue), but your logs help a lot thank you.

Here's where i'm at after an hour on this: I haven't been able to crack the core issue, but I think I might have found a workaround. I have a beta build coming of 4.3.0 that contains this workaround (build 5401 or later). I will invite you to this via testflight, please install it and try it out.
FYI: To find the build number of wifibooth: open Settings App -> Wifibooth -> scroll to bottom

bernd

Postby bernd » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:40 pm

Hi Tim,

I tried several times with the beta build. It did not crash anymore.

But now, while writing this, the camera image disappeared from the home page after ~1:20h w/o any manual interaction. The app reports to be connected to the camera WiFi but have no connection to the camera. Also, the camera WiFi network was still connected with my iPad and the camera was still on WiFi mode with blinking led.

After killing the wifibooth app, the camera stopped blinking and shut off like during an app crash before.

I restarted the app and hope you received a crash report, although it did not really crash...

You're workaround seems to work at least for some time. If photo taking restarts this period of time it really would help. We seem to make progress...

--Bernd

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:17 pm

Hi Bernd,
That's great news thanks for the update!
Let's try simulating a scenario that's closer to real life: can you please try this:
1. leave the live view running on the home screen for approx 30 minutes
2. then take one set of photos
3. go back to home screen
Repeat steps 1-3 two or three more times

If that works, then your photobooth would be fine in real life because it should get used at least every 30 minutes right?

Thefotobomb

Postby Thefotobomb » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:23 pm

HEY TIM I AM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM. WHEN IN LIVE VIEW THE APP FREEZES OR CRASHES AFTER A FEW ROUNDS OF PHOTOS. I HAVE THE CANON T6i. IT BASICALLY DISCONNECTS THE CAMERA FROM THE APP ALSO. THIS IS THE ONLY PROBLEM I AM HAVING. EVERYTHING ELSE WORKS FLAWLESS. I HAVE A BIRTHDAY PART IM SUPPOSED TO USE IT AT MAY.6.18 HOPEFULLY I CAN GET IT RESOLVED BY THEN. I AM A PRO MEMBER AND WOULD LOVE TO CONTINUE TO SUPPORT THIS APP. THANKS

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:53 pm

Hi thefotobomb,
That is definitely a different problem if you are not using a Fuji camera.
Please go to Settings app -> Wifibooth and:
1) tell me the version number you see at the bottom. If it is less than 4.2.0 then please update from the app store
2) please confirm all switches are in OFF position

Thefotobomb

Postby Thefotobomb » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:26 am

HEY THANKS MAN I AM USING THE LATEST VERSION. 4.2.0 BUILD 5363. ALL SWITCHES ARE IN OFF POSITION.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:37 am

Ok. First, let's define things carefully so we're speaking the same language:
"Freeze" or "hang" - the app gets stuck somewhere it should not, no part of the screen is changing and this is true still after 180 seconds, and no touch on the screen does anything
"Crash" - the app suddenly stops running, and you are back on the home screen.

The good news is that crashes are reported: you will need to let me know the date, time, and timezone (ie. EST/EDT if you live in New York) of when it crashes and I can look into it. Next time that happens please let me know.

If it is not crashing but rather freezing, then, the next thing to try changing is your wifi connection. Are you currently using your home wifi? For testing, try making the camera the wifi hotspot and connecting your ipad directly to it (camera mode wifi).

Thefotobomb

Postby Thefotobomb » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:44 am

SO AFTER THE PHOTOS ARE TAKEN IT GETS STUCK ON THE RED CIRCLE LOAD BAR. TAPPING THE SCREEN DOES. NOTHING, AFTER ABOUT A MINUTE IT GOES BACK TO THE HOME SCREEN OF THE APP. THE CAMERA THEN DISCONNECTS FROM THE APP. THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN AT ALL WHEN I TURN THE LIVE VIEW SETTING OFF IT WORKS FLAWLESS. SO NO IT DOSENT CRASH IT HANGS UP. MY CAMERA HAS ITS OWN WIFI SO I CONNECTED VIA THE CAMERAS WIFI.

Return to “Help: Cameras with Built-in WiFi”