EOS 80D lagging

Built-in WiFi only.
johannTBox

EOS 80D lagging

Postby johannTBox » Thu May 24, 2018 4:02 pm

Hey Tim,

saturday is our first real time gig and I’m having problems with the 80D.

I have the problem that the screen keeps lagging very bad. It’s definitely worse than I remember from the app.

I have tried the “lamb” function but this made it impossible for me to connect the camera.

Thank you for your help

tim
Site Admin

Re: EOS 80D lagging

Postby tim » Thu May 24, 2018 4:46 pm

Which iPad is this running on when the lag is happening?
Please check: when you use the official Canon app in the same setup (wifi etc) as when you're running Wifibooth, is the live-view noticeably better?
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

johannTBox

Postby johannTBox » Thu May 24, 2018 5:34 pm

Hey Tim,

It’s the 12,9 iPad Pro. So this shouldn’t be were the lagging is coming from...

I will try the canon app tomorrow...

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Thu May 24, 2018 5:39 pm

OK, let me know how the Canon app performs.
The most likely culprit, as always, is wifi. It could be that there's a lot of radio interference from other wifi routers, devices, etc.
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

johannTBox

Postby johannTBox » Sat May 26, 2018 11:47 am

Hey Tim,

I am at the event now and the lagging is really bad. I couldn’t try the canon app yet. Do you have another tip what the lagging could be from? If I put the iPad directly to canon WiFi it is not notably better :/

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Sat May 26, 2018 11:52 am

Sorry this is happening to you.
Some things to try. I'm responding with 5 minutes to your message so hopefully you get this.
1. turn ipad all the way off, back on again
2. reset camera to factory settings
3. try to simplify wifi environment: try reducing # of devices on the network
4. If using a wifi router, try a different one: try your phone's hotspot etc

Is the live view better (less laggy) on your iphone compared to the ipad?
cheers
-tim

johannTBox

Postby johannTBox » Sat May 26, 2018 3:47 pm

Hex Tom

Thank you for your help! I am a little busy and it’s now working “ok”.

Now the problem is that the camera is always shooting very late so after 3,2,1 it takes another 10-20 sec. To shoot

Do you have a tip for that?

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Mon May 28, 2018 2:11 pm

OK, I spent some hours with an 80D today, configured to take Large JPGs. Wifi was connected from the iOS device directly to the camera. Here's what I found:

- iPhone 8 (newest iOS): live-view frames are arriving ok, about 1 every 1-2 seconds. About the same performance I see with my T6i. When the app says "Cheese", the photo is taken within 1-2 seconds.3 x 8MB JPGs download in something like 10-20 seconds.

- iPad 10.5" Pro (newest iOS): live-view frames are MUCH faster - really fluid, several frames per second, a huge improvement from my iPhone 8. Much better than my T6i. When the app says "Cheese", the photo is taken immediately (no delay). 3 x 8MB JPGs download within a few seconds.

- iPad Air 1 (newest iOS), 15% battery but plugged in: live-view frames VERY lagged, only one every 5-10 seconds - useless. When the app says "Cheese", the photo is taken considerably later (up to 5 seconds later). 3 x 8MB JPGs never download - the camera disconnects every time.

Here is my hypothesis so far, I need to test it more: low battery life really affects wifi performance in iOS 11, even if the device is plugged in and charging. There is nothing wrong with my iPad Air 1 so far as I know - it never had issues earlier with my T6i (equally large JPGs etc).
So one tip would be, make sure your iPad is at 100% battery and plugged in, and try rebooting it completely (power off -> slide to off, then power on). If you have a newer ipad that supports low power mode, then turn that off (I am not sure if ANY ipads support this; my iPad Air does not)

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Wed May 30, 2018 11:52 am

OK I am going to call my hypothesis "confirmed": after leaving things as-is, the only change being the charge of my iPad Air 1 going from 20% to 100%, the difference is astounding. The iPad went from being able to transfer 0 photos successfully from my Fuji X-T2 to transferring all photos successfully.
So: make sure your iPad is fully charged.

johannTBox

Postby johannTBox » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:57 pm

Hey Tim,

Thank you for your help. It is ironic that at the Event the iPad was the first time the down to about 5%. The cable wasn’t plugged in right. So this explains the really bad lagging. Thank you for checking that!

We had a crisis meeting today because the next 2 weeks are our first official client orders. And the scenario from Saturday would be just a shame! Because it wasn’t only the lagging but also the very randomly behaving set up with DNP WPS printer and server plus mobile router.

But after I randomly read about the blueprint app being able to give internet via Bluetooth I just wanted to have tried everything.

And now the set up between the devices is really perfect.

One problem stays. I don’t know if we are too picky but really still don’t like the latency/lagging from the live view. iPad connects to cameras (80d) WiFi and we think it should look better than it does. Maybe oh know a way to improve this?

Thank you for your help. We feel better now using your support having bought the actual product ;)

Chris&johann

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:19 pm

:D
Did you try the 80D when the iPad battery is >33%? It doesn't matter if it is plugged in, it performs better with a loaded battery.
If you want to get better live view with that camera try using the iPad Pro series, the 10.5" or 12.9" (I don't know what ipad you have)

johannTBox

Postby johannTBox » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:28 pm

Hey Tim,

Now that I wanted to unplug everything I noticed that the dnp server is still connected to the internet router via cable. After I unplugged it blueprint says that internet is disconnected.

Does this mean, for the perfect setup (camera WiFi to iPad and still printing and internet) we still need the server to be plugged into a router with internet connection?

So blueprint can’t use the Mobile connection of the iPhone because it is in the server WiFi?

Oh man I thought I had the perfect way figured out 😭

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:49 pm

The limitation is that no app can access cellular data if there is wifi, even if that wifi offers no internet.

Probably leave whatever it was plugged in :)
See my above post to fix 80D lagging

johannTBox

Postby johannTBox » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:59 pm

Hey Tim,

we are using the current iPad pro 12,9' and it has 100% with being plugged in... I let my girlfriend go in front of the screen and she said it is not very satisfying. After all she will be the kind of people that will use the box :(

Thank you

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:32 pm

Hi Johann
Please show her the native Canon app running on the same equipment. Does she think it is noticeably better?

johannTBox

Postby johannTBox » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:42 am

Hey Tim,

Now I finally was able to connect the canon app to my camera as I had a little fight with settings...

It is definitely better as it is nearly on time with mirroring my movements. But it’s still not very good as it often keeps freezing for 1/2/3 seconds.

I don’t know why this happens. I took the iPad out of our box as I thought maybe there is some interference in there but this doesn’t solve it a bit.

Could this be an error of the camera? Would it maybe be help to order a second one for testing?

After all mirroring movements was on a level I would be more than satisfied but these lags sometime juste really mess it up.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:08 am

That is kind of the status quo for DSLR liveview over wifi. I don’t think it gets better unless you go to mirrorless.
Personally ive never met an event guest who complained about it
If you can find an ipad pro 10.5 and try that it might be better, seems to have a better wifi somehow ... but IMO not enough better to warrant the cost

johannTBox

Postby johannTBox » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:57 pm

Hey Tim,

ok thank you for the information.

I have the crazy hope that tomorrow, when the present the ios12, they will look in the screen and say, hey Johann and just for you we now make it possible to have live view via cable :D

We'll leave it like that and try to be happy with it...

Thank you for all the effort!

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:36 pm

:D
To make you feel better: live view performance is always something i am trying to improve. Im not happy with the canon/nikon performance. Especially because the sony & fuji performance is soooo much better. At the moment it is out of the control of an app...

johannTBox

Postby johannTBox » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:07 pm

Hey Tim,

ok this makes me think about selling the 80D again and getting a Sony or fuji as we now use the own wifi of the camera since Blueprint makes it possible.
What do you think about that?

The pictures were great last event and the guests love them. I don't want to "downgrade" quality and feel of pictures...

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:35 pm

In my opinion the qualty of photobooth photos is very high even from cheap digital cameras, so long as the lighting is good. Fuji wifi isnt as good as sony (i am saying that as a Fuji/Nikon shooter). Try renting or borrowing a crop-sensor sony alpha cam (make sure it is on the compatible cameras page!), and see if you like the results!

I am happy you found the advanced BluePrint functionality. This (freeing you to choose any camera) is exactly why I spent so long making it!

johannTBox

Postby johannTBox » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:58 am

Hey Tim,

I have a alpha 6000 laying around at work. Will that be satisfying? Crop means something with the width of the picture right?

I am no expert with this :)

Thank you!

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:43 am

The a6000 is a bit of a weird camera, but definitely worth trying out. With that camera, check the quality of the photos that wifibooth saves on the ipad and make sure they're high-enough resolution for you -- because this camera doesn't support proper storage-access mode. Of course the full-resolution photos are still saved on the camera's card. Also, you'll need to upgrade its firmware and the "smart remote" app to the newest versions (2 separate steps: first firmware, then the app), otherwise it won't connect to Wifibooth.

One thought occurred to me. Why don't you make me a video of your Canon 80D's live-view performance with wifibooth: put a subject in front of the 80D that is constantly moving in a predictable pattern (ie. something back & forth, back & forth), get wifibooth showing it on live-view, and then record a video of the ipad screen with your phone and send me the video. I can at least check that what you are seeing is close to what you should be seeing

johannTBox

Postby johannTBox » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:54 pm

Hey Tim,

Yeah that’s a good idea! I’ll make a movie tomorrow and send it to you.

After the Alpha 6000 aperently need the suggested update and me needing to go to sleep early for once, I tried my already updated alpha 5000. The live view is very good and way better compared to the canon 80D. Our photo box set up is made for the 80d so i probably need to build it a little different now but the very satisfying love view makes it worth it.

Would a 5000 already be enough for the booth?

And when I am saying now that Sony LV is way better do you still it’s helpful that I make the clip?

Thank you and good night

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:11 pm

Well, I think you should make a short movie of the Canon 80D's performance just so you have the datapoint "i'm getting the performance that I am supposed to" from me. That's independent of the canon-vs-sony decision...

For sure the a5000 should be enough for the photobooth. Same caveat as the a6000 applies: just make sure that the photos saved on the iPad are good enough quality / resolution for you - have wifibooth upload some of them to dropbox, and see if you're happy with the quality & image resolution.

Return to “Help: Cameras with Built-in WiFi”