Recommended Printers for WiFiBooth and iPad

ATLpartyBooth

Recommended Printers for WiFiBooth and iPad

Postby ATLpartyBooth » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:34 pm

Hello everyone. We're looking at potential printers for use with our photobooth, any recommendations / warnings / advice? We prefer simply doing digital albums but more and more clients are requesting on-site printing.

Currently we are looking at the Canon Selphy CP1200 or CP910, and the Polaroid ZIP Mobile Printer w/ZINK, but are certainly open to others around that price range.

Thanks in advance!

tim
Site Admin

Re: Recommended Printers for WiFiBooth and iPad

Postby tim » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:40 pm

Hi ATLpartyBooth,

Thanks for your interest in my app. I've personally used the CP910, it works well. I'm sure the CP1200 would be similar.
I would avoid the Polaroid: I don't think it supports Apple AirPrint. Printers must be connected with AirPrint if you want to use WiFi Booth (exception: for pro printers the app supports FTP)
Photobooth printers generally should be dye-sublimation printers or similar tech so that the prints last and you don't fuss with ink.
If you are only looking at low budget then the Canon Selphy printers are good. Otherwise you can get a professional printer like the DNP DS40 with the DNP WPS1 so that it works with the app. Pro printers are much faster, higher quality, etc. I used the DNP DS40 for a few years and loved its build quality and speed.

ATLpartyBooth

Postby ATLpartyBooth » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:36 am

Excellent, thanks Tim!

jbatesphoto

Postby jbatesphoto » Sun May 29, 2016 9:31 pm

Can you please confirm that you're able to use a DNP printer with an iPad?

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Mon May 30, 2016 6:45 am

Please contact DNP, i dont work for them. You need to add ftp printing support via their WPS-1 product which does not support all dnp printers. Wifi booth supports printing via airprint and ftp

RudiK

Postby RudiK » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:04 pm

Hello, really happy I found this app and preparing to set up my photo booth. I have purchased the recommended eyeful card and am now looking for a printer. However, I would like to use a standard wifi printer not a specific photo sized one only as I plan to use the printer for general A4 printing in the future. I am not following what the printer requires? I like Canon, any suggestions :D :D

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:11 pm

Hi RudiK
If you are buying a normal printer: the printer must support AirPrint.
If you are buying a pro printer (these are generally USB-only), you need to buy any extra kit required to enable either AirPrint or FTP printing.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:34 am

This thread is now out of date: DNP WPS units are directly supported by wifibooth
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

Marco

Postby Marco » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:49 pm

Sorry I know this is an old thread. But does this mean a wps 1. Is no longer needed for the dnp rx1. I am contemplating purchasing the pro printer. I have been using the cp1200 for the past few events but am now needing something that prints faster.

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:54 pm

You do need wps pro or wps 1 to print with any dnp printer, because they only have usb which you cannot connect to ipad
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

Marco

Postby Marco » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:20 pm

thanks for the clarification Tim. Love the app it works well. I had a moment where i felt it didn't send emails and sms's when hooked up back to wifi at home. Later found the page where i can resend all the requests so now all is complete. Just have to figure out how to use my iphone with blueprint to send sms and emails during the event. Had issues pairing it with the airprinter. Used my old ios device that worked well. Just had to send all the sms and emails after the event.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:32 pm

If you have problems let me know i will help!
To make sms send thru blueprint, make sure blueprint is signed into the wifibooth service: you do that on blueprints first screen.
Also make sure both wifibooth and blueprint are fully up to date!

Marco

Postby Marco » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:43 pm

Ahh. That did the trick. Didn’t realize I had to sign in on my iPhone.

Thanks again Tim

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:45 pm

No problem! I’ll try to make blueprint be better at warning about this. Thanks for your feedback

nirmal

Postby nirmal » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:13 am

Hi Tim,
I was planning to buy a Hiti printer as the printing cost of Hiti is less than DNP printer.
What would be your recommendation.

Thanks.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:34 am

Wifibooth has no direct support for Hiti so it would have to support airprint to work with wifibooth.

Fotodesign

Postby Fotodesign » Sat May 25, 2019 6:31 am

Salve ho collegato il mio iPad alla stampante Canon cp 1200 tramite AirPrint, dopo aver inviato più file in coda per la stampa la stampante va in blocco e i file restano in coda per essere stampati .per risolvere il problema devo eliminare tutti i file in coda e ravviare la stampante. Come si può risolvere questo problema?

mjchua

Postby mjchua » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:53 pm

Hi Tim -- sorry if I'm beating a dead bush, but before I invest in everything I just want to make sure my duckies are in a row.

I would like to use WiFiBooth app with an iPad Pro 2018 and a Canon 6D. I have not tried the software yet, and currently just own the iPad and the DSLR. I am looking at purchasing the DNP DS-RX1HS. From my understanding on this thread, this combination will work, so long as I purchase the DNP WPS Pro as well. Can you please confirm? Thank you!

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:01 am

Yes it will work well. Do you plan to have internet access live on wifibooth? You will need to think how to connect everything together - if you use a router with a sim card then you could connect the ipad and camera to the router with wifi, and the wps pro via ethernet.

mjchua

Postby mjchua » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:12 pm

Hi Tim--will this work?
Connect Canon 6D to iPad via Canon built in wifi, connect iPad to DNP WPS Pro for airprint to DNP RX1HS? If the iPad has a SIM card will that work for sending photos?

I actually pulled the trigger and bought the DNP RX1HS I just need to stop procrastinating and bite the bullet and get my DNP WPS Pro now :)

Thanks so much for being available to correspond here, it's so nice having a developer in touch with their customer base.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:44 pm

You are very welcome, happy to help.

iOS devices only allow apps access to the best possible network source, so if wifi is available then apps cannot use cellular data. So no, the iPad having a SIM card will not help in this case.

My suggestion is to get things working step-by-step, so you don't get overwhelmed.
1) Get Wifibooth working with Canon 6D + DNP WPS + DNP RX1HS, *without* internet
2) ... then change configuration to add internet

For (2), you'll likely be turning off the WPS' wifi, and using a wifi router that has a SIM card in it ("router"). Then you'll tell your Canon to connect to the router over wifi, and your iPad too. Finally, you'll connect the WPS unit to the router via ethernet (cable).
There are several cheap routers available that have SIM card + ethernet capabilities.

Return to “Help: Printers”