Print Size Customization W/ DNP DS620a Pro Printer

DJConnor

Print Size Customization W/ DNP DS620a Pro Printer

Postby DJConnor » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:03 pm

I've purchased your app, along with a Canon EOS Rebel T6, and a professional DNP DS620a printer (which I absolutely love by the way). I've got all of the connections figured out. I'm using a direct connection from the camera to ipad, then using blueprint for connection between the ipad and the WPS-1 of the Printer.

The printer happened to come with 3 free rolls of 8" by 6" media which looks like this:

https://www.adorama.com/dnpds6206x8.htm ... oCch_w_wcB

As advertised on the article above, this enables prints sizes smaller as well, such as 4" by 6", 2" by 6" strips, etc. I've done a test print from wi-fi booth with the 2" by 6" setting selected, however the printer outputted a 6" by 8" print (in portrait orientation). My goal is to figure out how to change the printer settings to cut the prints at 4" by 6" or for 2" by 6" strips if needed. I don't want every print coming out as huge 6 by 8 prints.

If you need more pictures or explanation to fully understand, please let me know and I will provide that to you.

Thank you Tim.

- Connor

tim
Site Admin

Re: Print Size Customization W/ DNP DS620a Pro Printer

Postby tim » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:23 pm

Hi Connor
Sure i can help!
Can you please open the event and tell me your printer settings? If you want to print 2x4x6 (two strips that are 4x6 each), then you need to select exactly that paper in blueprint when you add the DNP (in the popup window where it lists available papers that were detected on your DNP), AND configure wifibooth this way too: make sure "2 strips" print mode is selected in the event, and that paper is set to 6x8. This will result in a portrait 2-strips image sent to blueprint, which will send it to the 2x4x6 DNP queue.
So starting from the top:
Do you see the 2x4x6 option in the DNP paper selection popup, in blueprint when you add the printer?
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

DJConnor

Postby DJConnor » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:17 am

Hey Tim!

Thanks for the prompt reply. I knew this app had great customer service from the looks of these forums! Unfortunately, I only see one option when I attempt to connect my iphone to my ipad via blueprint. It gives me the option of connecting to the dnp printer with the 6 by 8 paper. There are no additional options such as 2x4x6 as you've mentioned. In the event on the app, I have the print size set to 6.0 by 8.0 with the "2 strips" option selected.

Separately, I continue to lose connection between blueprint and the ipad. There must things I'm not doing right. The iphone and the ipad are only about 6 feet away from each other, and the screens remain on, but then after a very short period of time (sometimes as quick as 10 seconds) the app all of a sudden says the printer is no longer connected. I'm a bit stumped right now, but very determined to figure these issues out. Thank you for your continued help.

I will send screenshots, and pictures tomorrow to help better explain everything if my description may not be enough to fully investigate my situations.

Thanks again!
Looking forward to hearing from you!

- Connor

DJConnor

Postby DJConnor » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:25 am

My ultimate goal to be able to print (4) 2" by 6" strips on one 6" by 8" sheet and have the printer cut them appropriately. (Prints faced horizontally) Not sure if that is possible.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:58 am

Hi Connor
Since there are a lot of moving parts in your setup, i'd like us to try one thing at a time. That's going to be the easiest way, although it might not be the fastest: let's rule out one thing at a time and that way we will find where the problem lies.

Let's start with the paper selection part: I assume you are using one of the WPS products, like the WPS-1 or WPS-Pro, correct?
For testing out the paper selection, please connect the wifi of your ipad directly to the WPS' wifi. Then, directly in WiFi Booth, add the DNP WPS printer (so: no BluePrint at all). If you do it this way, then do you see the paper selection with the 4x2x6 as a possibility?
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

DJConnor

Postby DJConnor » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:28 am

Hi Connor
Since there are a lot of moving parts in your setup, i'd like us to try one thing at a time. That's going to be the easiest way, although it might not be the fastest: let's rule out one thing at a time and that way we will find where the problem lies.

Let's start with the paper selection part: I assume you are using one of the WPS products, like the WPS-1 or WPS-Pro, correct?
For testing out the paper selection, please connect the wifi of your ipad directly to the WPS' wifi. Then, directly in WiFi Booth, add the DNP WPS printer (so: no BluePrint at all). If you do it this way, then do you see the paper selection with the 4x2x6 as a possibility?
Yes, I am using the WPS-1 with my printer. I've done exactly as you've mentioned above (direct connection iPad to WPS, then went into wifi booth and added the DNP WPS printer. Only one option was presented to me. DNP printer with 6" by 8"

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:31 am

Ah ok, then that sounds like the WPS-1 is not configured correctly.
While connected to the wifi of the WPS-1 directly, please browse to http://192.168.43.1 (the DNP WPS configuration UI). Are you seeing the correct paper sizes / queues listed there?

DJConnor

Postby DJConnor » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:43 am

Before I turn everything back on, are you aware of a method to set the printer to NOT make test prints every time things are powered on? Lol, I dislike wasting the roll.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:14 pm

That's not WiFi Booth, that's the WPS-1 that is doing that. Perhaps the WPS has a setting for that ....

DJConnor

Postby DJConnor » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:47 pm

That's not WiFi Booth, that's the WPS-1 that is doing that. Perhaps the WPS has a setting for that ....
I've attached an image of what I see. Turning off test print has been taken care of. As for print size, should I enable the (4) 2 by 6 strips option? (Since that is my ultimate goal) Would wifi booth be able to print (quantity 4) 2 by 6 strips onto one 6 by 8 sheet? If not, what are my other options of cuts?

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:03 pm

I'm not an expert on DNP products, I don't own any DNP products myself. You should consult the documentation for your WPS-1.
But I'll hazard a guess: in the PRINTING section, flip the "modified value" switch from "off" to "on" for the first two (2 2x6 cut, and 4 2x6 cut)... then hit save or apply or whatever. then remove the printer from blueprint/wifibooth, and re-add it. Then you'll probalby see the new paper choices

DJConnor

Postby DJConnor » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:56 pm

I'm not an expert on DNP products, I don't own any DNP products myself. You should consult the documentation for your WPS-1.
But I'll hazard a guess: in the PRINTING section, flip the "modified value" switch from "off" to "on" for the first two (2 2x6 cut, and 4 2x6 cut)... then hit save or apply or whatever. then remove the printer from blueprint/wifibooth, and re-add it. Then you'll probalby see the new paper choices
Ok, I've figured out how to get the printer to cut the 6" by 8" sheets into either (2) 4 by 6s ,OR into (4) 2 by 6s.

Does the app have the ability to print (quantity: 2) 4 by 6 copies on one sheet in the specific orientation that my hand written example shows on the attachment here?

My hand written example shows exactly my goal. Primarily the (2) 4 by 6s, then to find out how to set the print settings within wifi booth for (4) 2 by 6s if that's possible. I've messed around with different print settings within the app yet it's being printed in the orientation as shown on my other attachment.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:05 pm

Im really sorry, no, it doesnt.
When i had a few 6x8 rolls and a DNP 40, i printed guests collages at 6x8 uncut and it went very well.

DJConnor

Postby DJConnor » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:20 pm

Is there any way that you can add that capability within the app?

A side question: if I had a roll that was specifically a 4 by 6 roll (rather than a 6" by 8" roll which is currently in the printer), would I be able to print photos in those ways I've shown in my hand drawn photo?

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:47 am

Sorry I have a lot on my plate and adding support for printing weird ways on non-standard printers is nowhere near the top of the list.
You can print to any print queue that your DNP WPS will share, and you can try the different print options that wifiboothh allows you: portrait, landscape, 2 strips.

SeanCassidy

Postby SeanCassidy » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:17 pm

Hey to both of you:

I don't mean to thread jack, but I am curious how it is that you (DJConnor) have been able to link up your iPad directly to your DSLR? I was under the impression that the app as unable to connect to the camera in that way.

If you could shine some light on that, it would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
Sean

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:45 pm

Hi sean do you mean the canon T6? It works.
Want to try the beta of v4? PM me your email address... it has much improved support for many more cameras including panasonic, olympus, fuji...

SeanCassidy

Postby SeanCassidy » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:14 am

Tim, I believe I pm'd you my email address for the beta v4. Also, aside from the t6, are there other Canon cameras that can connect to iPad via usb cable and are bluetooth capable? It would be nice to have a list of cameras that can be connected via cable.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:28 pm

Hi Sean,
There seems to be some confusion here: there is NO camera that can connect via cable to the iPad/iPhone and work with wifibooth. Wifibooth (and other iOS apps for that matter) have NO access to the lightning port on iOS devices.
V4 is out, so you don't need to do the beta - just update via the apple app store :)

Return to “Help: Printers”