DS40 with WPS-1

kristinvision

DS40 with WPS-1

Postby kristinvision » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:30 pm

I followed the instructions for printing via FTP to my DS40 here: http://thewifibooth.com/article/wifi-bo ... dnp-wps-1/

I am connected to the printer's WPS-1 wifi network. I entered the exact same things it said in the article into my settings. I closed the app and restarted it. It still won't print. It give an error pop up saying "Uh oh.. the printer is not connected" or something like that.

What do i need to do?

tim
Site Admin

Re: DS40 with WPS-1

Postby tim » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:43 pm

Hi there,
please use an ftp client to manually verify that your ip, username and password are as you expect when printing to the WPS-1: just upload some jpg and make sure it prints. If not, check the config of your WPS-1. If it prints then please check the setting print to ftp is on under settings - wifibooth.

kristinvision

Postby kristinvision » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:00 pm

Thanks for the quick response. I think I realized that the printer must be connected to the internet as well. On Simple Booth app there is no need for internet connectivity so I assumed that was the case here, but now I see that it wouldnt work to do FTP without internet ;)

So, I do not need to be connected to the wifi from WPS-1, I can use my Ipad's cellular network, however the printer needs to be connected to the internet, correct?

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:59 am

No, that's not right - wifibooth app connects directly to the ftp server of the WPS-1 via a direct IP connection. Not over the internet. Connect the ipad to the wifi of the wps-1.

johndoe

Postby johndoe » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:35 pm

hi,
have the same problem with my dnp 620 and the wps-1.
my ipad AND a canon eos 6d are connected to the wps-1 wifi-network and although WifiBooth gets the pictures i shot recently, i am not able to print them through wifibooth...
i get the same message with "could not print the picture..."

tried it with this settings:

in the “Printing” section, change “Print to FTP…” to ON
set “Print FTP Hostname” to 192.168.43.1
set “Print FTP user” to print
set “Print FTP pass” to the word none
FTP Port: 21
use FTP in passive mode: NO

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:03 pm

John when you manually try to transfer a jpg to the WPS-1 with an FTP client on your computer, what happens?

kristinvision

Postby kristinvision » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:40 pm

Actually, the problem was in your instructions. Replace the FTP User to "photo" not "print

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:47 pm

Oh, thanks for catching this!

johndoe

Postby johndoe » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:06 am

Thx Kristin, now it works with the different user :-)

Ike

Postby Ike » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:43 am

Hi, I have also a question about connecting a DNP printer with Wifi Booth: I'm considering to buy the DNP DS 40 or DS 620 and I would like to know, how long is the delay of printing after hitting the Print button in the app? Is it a few seconds or longer?

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:17 am

Hi Ike, the delay is somewhat variable because of how DNP have implemented their WPS-1 - unfortunately they did not do the best job.
Internally in the WPS-1, it is polling a folder every X seconds. Once an image is uploaded via FTP to the WPS-1, there is a delay until the next poll before printing begins. The upload is very fast (because WiFi Booth resizes the image to the size that the WPS-1 needs, rather than making the WPS-1 do the resizing), but then there's a wait until the next poll catches the file being there. In my experience after hitting print on the ipad, the delay was up to 10 seconds or so before printing starts. Of course when printing starts it's really fast, because these are fast printers. And sometimes that 10 seconds is 1 second (ie. you upload right before the poll occurs). Unfortunately DNP have no plans to improve the WPS-1 that i'm aware of. I even heard that it will be discontinued but i'm not sure. I'll ping them.

Ike

Postby Ike » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:34 am

Thanks for the answer. Actually I talked today with someone who sells these printers and he told me that a new version of the WPS-1 will be released in the next weeks or months. So maybe the delay problem will be removed then.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:58 am

Hi Ike
I can promise making WiFi Booth work with a new WPS product would be a priority for me. So if you want to buy the printer, don't wait on my account :D

boxpictures

Postby boxpictures » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:17 pm

I have gone through and tried the steps here but not getting much luck. I have two ipads (one acting as the booth, one running blueprint). The blueprint ipad is connected to a WPS-1 which is plugged into a DS-40. I can print a test image directly just using DNPs testing app fine so I know this is all ok. It also runs simplebooth app fine. (im looking to switch to wifi booth though so I can use a DSLR)

I have the wifi booth app on both ipads and set the print settings as specified:
"Print to FTP.." on
Hostname: 192.168.43.1
user: photo
set Print FTP pass = none

Blueprint doesnt seem to like that the DNP isn't an air printer. So when you search to "share my printer" it doesnt find it on the network. (Ive double checked it's definitely connected to the WPS and not dropped off onto another network). Consequently the wifi-booth app on the other won't find the other ipad. Any suggestions here or is just us trying to get the DNP kit to work with apple when it has other ambitions in life?

Incidentally, I have also tried skipping the blueprint setup and connecting the photobooth app directly to the wps-1 router over wifi but the app doesnt find it when searching for an air printer.

Is it just because Im running the app as trial to test it out and not full version? Or is there something Im missing?

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:48 pm

Hi boxpictures,
At the moment, BluePrint does not support printing to FTP (it only prints to AirPrint). If you need to print to DNP, there's currently only one option -- you need to have the iPad with wifibooth on the same network as the DNP WPS product.
That being said, I am in the middle of building improved support for DNP WPS products. It hadn't occurred to me to add that support to BluePrint but now that you mention it, it seems obvious :) So I will add this soon.
In the meantime I hope you can find a solution -- can you connect your ipad with wifibooth directly to the wireless of the DNP WPS? Or does your camera need you to connect directly to it -- which camera?
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

boxpictures

Postby boxpictures » Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:00 am

Thanks Tim. When I was attempting it with the DSLR we were using a sony a7 II to do it - Not that we would use that high spec on a real setup. That was just for testing. Open to a recommendation on most compatible there? Incidentally, have you considered developing it to use the back camera of an iphone or ipod to get a higher res image?

Unfortunately it doesnt seem to work using the ipad standard front camera with the print to FTP setup as per: https://wifibooth.com/article/wifi-boot ... dnp-wps-1/ Router is kicking out the testprint that dnp bakes in so I know that bits working. Not too sure how to get the print queue up when its not airprint to see if anything is attempting to be sent.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:38 am

You can choose the ipad back camera in event settings. If you dont see that setting please update the app in the app store.
Printing to dnp ds 40 over ftp is working for me with wps-1. Try putting a laptop on the same network as the wps-1 and ftping an image to the same settings as you entered in wifibooth settings. Does this print?

I recommend a canon 750d - cheap and works well with all features
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

Return to “Help: Printers”