EYEFI HELP - What to do when Eye-Fi won't connect

EyeFi cards only
tim
Site Admin

EYEFI HELP - What to do when Eye-Fi won't connect

Postby tim » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:39 pm

Eye-Fi cards are finicky, picky beasts. I wish the company would do more to make them easier to use, especially for 3rd party apps like mine. I have contacted them directly and discussed, but they are not interested in helping. Nonetheless I apologize that it isn't easier to get EyeFi working with WiFi Booth!

DO YOU HAVE YOUR UPLOAD KEY?
  1. First make sure that you have transferred at least one JPG successfully with your Eye-Fi card from the camera to your computer. If you have not already done this, do this now. This is out of scope of this guide because it has nothing to do with WiFi Booth at all.
  2. Next, please use this help article to get your upload key: https://wifibooth.com/article/eyefiuploadkey/
STEPS TO TAKE WHEN EYEFI WON'T CONNECT
So you got your key, and still it won't connect? Please follow these steps carefully, one-by-one.
The idea here is NOT to recreate exactly how your event will be. Instead, the idea is to get the card to connect just once in any setup.
  1. Make sure that you have transferred at least one JPG successfully with your Eye-Fi card from the camera to your computer. If you have not already done this, do this now. This is out of scope of this guide because it has nothing to do with WiFi Booth at all.
  2. Insert your Eye-Fi card in your computer and using the official Eye-Fi software:
    1. turn OFF Selective Transfer ("Transfer only selected photos that are write-protected"),
    2. turn OFF RAW transfer ("Transfer RAW photos to this computer"),
    3. make sure "When transfers are completed, disconnect WiFi network after" is set to a value of at least 3 minutes or higher
    4. turn OFF Eye-Fi / Keenai cloud features such as added folders for auto-import, and any additional features other than the bare minimum,
    5. open the list of wifi networks that the Eye-Fi card is configured to connect to ("Mobi Cards" tab, "Manage Networks"). Delete ALL networks in there (yes, ALL of them). Next, carefully add back ONLY the wifi network of your current location, ie. your home wifi
  3. Turn OFF all PCs, Macs around you that might have Eye-Fi software installed on them. There must be NO active device other than the iPad with WiFi Booth that has Eye-Fi software on it.
  4. If you have other iPads or iPhones with Eye-Fi software on them, turn them OFF now
  5. On the iPad with WiFi Booth, delete all Eye-Fi & Keenai apps
  6. On the iPad with WiFi Booth, make sure the wifi is connected to the same network you configured the Eye-Fi card to in the steps above. If there are other wifi networks nearby that the iPad might connect to, go to the settings->wifi and instruct the iPad to "forget" them.
  7. On the iPad with WiFi Booth, power it off and then on again. Then start WiFi Booth and pick Eye-Fi, and select an Event
  8. Remove the Eye-Fi card from your computer, power OFF your computer or turn off your computer's wifi, and insert the card in your camera
  9. On your camera, check the settings to see that "Eye-Fi Upload" is enabled. Yes, at least on Nikon cameras (and probably all cameras), an extra menu appears somewhere that allows you to enable or disable eye-fi upload. Make sure it is enabled.
  10. On your camera, make sure it is configured to take JPG only (later you can try with JPG+RAW), and set the size of the JPG to be S (S2 for Canon)
  11. Position your camera and iPad within 2-3 meters (approx 8 feet) of your wifi router. Yes, this is ridiculously close! You will have to get up out of your chair, i'm super sorry about this! :D But this is the best way to eliminate wifi signal/noise issues...
  12. Take at least 5 photos on the camera. Don't half-press the shutter after - allow the rear screen to stay on if it is on. Now wait patiently for a few moments and hopefully this fixes your problem. If nothing happens after 30 seconds, take 5 more photos and wait at least 180 seconds before assuming it didn't work: sometimes the Eye-Fi card needs to "time-out" its effort to phone home.
If you do get it working, be very careful to only change one setting at a time afterwards! Test it out each time you change something, to make sure it still works.
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

tim
Site Admin

Re: EYEFI HELP - What to do when Eye-Fi won't connect

Postby tim » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:07 pm

Please note that Eye-Fi support is deprecated, and soon Eye-Fi support will be removed.
Read more here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1244
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

Return to “Help: Cameras using EyeFi cards”