Cannot Get Upload Key

EyeFi cards only
tim
Site Admin

Re: Cannot Get Upload Key

Postby tim » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:18 pm

Please check that you see the eyefi upload key in wifibooth when you first start it and hit the eyefi button. It's a big long bunch of characters together.

Please also check that the eyefi and ipad are connected to the same wifi network, and that absolutely no other computer, phone or tablet is running any eyefi software at all. Shut down computers completely to be sure.

nomaphoto

Postby nomaphoto » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:36 pm

Yes the upload key is there and I'm using my phone though for the hotspot so it can't be off. I've done this with my laptop and computer off and I even deleted all the apps afterwards to make sure there weren't any issues with that and had both desktop and laptop off

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:39 pm

OK. To make sure everything is configured correctly, please kill wifibooth on the ipad and launch the official eyefi app on the ipad. Can it receive photos like you expect?

nomaphoto

Postby nomaphoto » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:40 pm

WAITTTTTTTTTTTTTT OMGGGGGG I DID ITTTTTT LOL I'm seriously crying rn lol

nomaphoto

Postby nomaphoto » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:40 pm

hold on - don't go anywhere Tim! Let me make sure its not a fluke :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

nomaphoto

Postby nomaphoto » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:44 pm

ugh its not sending photos to eyfi now or in the Photo Booth - but an image had popped up with a wifibooth watermark across it - what is happening?! :oops: :oops: :cry: :cry:

It stopped working again as soon as I started up my desktop - so if the problem is the wifi connection being pulled from other sources how do I get it to nconect via the personal hotspot - I followed the steps but can't get the eye-fi card to recognize the hotspot in configurations.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:45 am

Hi Nomaphoto
Here is what is likely happening: your desktop has eyefi software configured to auto-load when it starts up. So you started up your computer, and now the eyefi card is finding the desktop instead of the ipad. The way eyefi cards work is that they look for the first device on the same wifi network the card is on, and then they only use that one. Wifibooth will never "win" when other devices running official eyefi software are present on the same network.

Using your iphone as the personal hotspot for the eyefi card to connect to is only a good idea if you have other devices that stay connected to the iphone at all times, like a printer. This is because that your iphone personal hotspot is only allowing things to connect to it when either the blue bar is at the top (ie. "1 device connected"), or, when the screen is on and you are on the personal hotspot page of settings. At all other times, no new connections to the iphone will succeed. Keep in mind the eyefi card is constantly disconnecting and reconnecting, as the camera does not keep it powered on!

jlowen

Postby jlowen » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:12 pm

Tim,

I'm having a horrible time getting my upload key following the instructions. Also, it looks like unless I am logged in to the eyefi cloud on my mac my eyefi card doesn't even show up in the eyefi mobi software, I'm not sure if that's an issue or not.

The command in terminal doesn't work for me, I've also opened the offline.db file to find no codes. However, I did find some 32 character numbers (plus the MAC address) in the offline.db-wal

d3b0f6c4709cf49fb4ef56e81394d0e500-18-56-70-ff-bd
45a52ac87b5274e9e13a762e102a083a00-18-56-70-ff-bd

Essentially it looks like this. Are any of these my upload keys?

7Ç-‚÷≤LÔ‚∞'◊ƒ3µÈSC>p÷≤LÔ‚∞'◊ûßÄ°•©
‡∞ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄWmÉ{}WmÉ÷≤LÔ‚∞'◊O˙ÆK9oE
»ÌŸ»% card_uploadso_files@o_sets` ÷≤LÔ‚∞'◊Ωi†“r2“j
∂∂H%M/*lDSC_6351.JPGd3b0f6c4709cf49fb4ef56e81394d0e500-18-56-70-ff-bd÷≤LÔ‚∞'◊P<«áںʋ
«ÌŸ«%card_uploadso_files@o_sets` ÷≤LÔ‚∞'◊Œ;r˝◊ s
l∂lH%M/*tDSC_6353.JPG45a52ac87b5274e9e13a762e102a083a00-18-56-70-ff-bdH%M/*lDSC_6351.JPGd3b0f6c4709cf49fb4ef56e81394d0e500-18-56-70-ff-bd÷≤LÔ‚∞'◊O±GÅ$∆
«ÌŸ«%card_uploadso_files@o_sets`÷≤LÔ‚∞'◊æI˘AÀ:3

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:35 pm

Hi jlowen
If your offline.db hasnt been populated yet please try changing some settings in eyefi software sometimes that helps. Make sure eyefi cloud is turned off, relay is turned off, etc. Then quit the eyefi software.

Those 32 char strings could well be upload keys, i dont know. You can try them harmlessly. Wifibooth will warn you if it thinks that the upload key is wrong. It detects this by a certain signature of failures, because there is no way for it to decisively know if a key is wrong. Eyefi really did not make it easy for me

jlowen

Postby jlowen » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:29 pm

I think my problem may be the eyefi cloud. Any recommendations on how to turn it off? I can't seem to figure it out.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:57 pm

You could try signing out from eyefi cloud in the eyefi app on yur computer does that work?

jlowen

Postby jlowen » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:29 am

Got it working! Logging out work and then I basically had to play with eyefi all day to get it to change the .db file.

My one last question, is there a landscape mode option?

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:16 am

No landscape because there is no way to do the layout of the preview area and have a single screen design - ipad is not big enough. Perhaps for the pro i can do something one day

peterp

Postby peterp » Fri May 13, 2016 4:24 am

I have tried for the life of me to get my brand new eyefi mobi pro card to work with WifiBooth. I've read all the forums and seemed to have tried everything.

Right now, it seems, I'm blocked by not having the upload key. The sqlite command previously mentioned is just outputting the mac address of the eyefi card.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled. I've tried logging out of eyefi cloud. I've tried changing some settings to get it to populate the upload. None of it works.

Further, when trying different scenarios, after doing a full uninstall/reinstall, I noticed that logging out of eyefi cloud made my sql database empty and so doing the sql query doesn't even return the mac address anymore, just an empty string.

I'm really hoping I'm missing something here. I will try to install on another laptop tomorrow.

Thanks for any help.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Fri May 13, 2016 7:12 am

Sorry you are having trouble. Please also make sure relayed upload is off, raw upload is off; basically only jpg upload should be on, targeted at your computer.

peterp

Postby peterp » Fri May 13, 2016 10:45 am

Ok, I was able to get the upload key now. What I did was force "Selective mode"(I guess). By this, I mean, I turned off transferring raw files(even though previously I set the camera to jpg only quality), and I checked "Transfer only selected photos that are write protected". Then I took card out of computer, deleted app out of Applications and also cleaned up files with the below commands. Then I reinstalled the app and took a few photos. I don't know if anything transferred, but I then issued the sql command and I now saw the 32 character string.

Here is how you can fully uninstall the app on Mac.

Code: Select all

Shiva:~ pete$ rm -fr ~/Library/Caches/io.fabric.sdk.mac.data/com.eyefi.Mobi/ Shiva:~ pete$ rm -fr ~/Library/Caches/com.crashlytics.data/com.eyefi.Mobi/ Shiva:~ pete$ rm -fr ~/Library/Caches/com.eyefi.Mobi/ Shiva:~ pete$ rm -fr ~/Library/Application\ Support/Eyefi Shiva:~ pete$ rm Library/Preferences/com.eyefi.Mobi.plist
However, now that I put the upload key into the app, it still doesn't seem to connect. The camera battery is low though and the charger is at my lady's house. I will charge up and report back.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Fri May 13, 2016 10:53 am

Thanks for the investigation!
If the app isn't finding the Eye-Fi after you get the key:

- Make sure eye-fi card is configured to connect to exactly only ONE wifi network, and it's the same wifi network the ipad is using.
- If using personal hotspot on ipad or iphone to generate the wifi, make sure another device is ALSO connected to it (ie not only the eye-fi card) so that the ability to connect is held open
- Make sure NO other computers, ipads, iphones etc on the same wifi network are running Eye-Fi software of any kind. To be safe, just try with all other computers, ipads etc turned off
- There's an iOS (well, *NIX actually) bug where sometimes ports are not released when an app dies. Simply power off the ipad with wifibooth, then power it back on. This reproduces most often when you force-kill (swipe away) the app.
- Make sure you take at least 5 photos with the eye-fi card&camera
- Make sure in your camera's settings, eye-fi card's upload is turned on

nithyaraj85

Postby nithyaraj85 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:52 am

Hi Tim - I also can't get the upload key :(

Mac - I tried emailing the link to my iPad... Opened the link but then nothing happened.
PC - The "settings" file has all 0's for the key...

Please help!

nithyaraj85

Postby nithyaraj85 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:30 pm

Hi - I have successfully transferred photos to my Mac but still can't get the upload key.

Below is the link I'm trying to open on my iPad... It opens up the app but then nothing happens

wifibooth://setEyeFiKey/00-18-56-70-6a-32/

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:12 pm

Hi nithyaraj85, good news -- you succeeded. That is your eyefi key. When the app opens, it is saving your key. If you open the app, hit "Eye Fi" button, you'll see the textfield already has your key filled out and you are good to go. Start taking photos and as long as your ipad and camera are on the same wifi network, and no other eyefi software is running, and you don't have eyefi cloud turned on, the photos you take will show up in wifibooth.

MistyBlue2010

Postby MistyBlue2010 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:18 pm

I run Windows 10 and am not able to figure out how to get the Upload key. I have an iPad and the Selphy printer and the Eyefi Mobi Pro 16GB+WIFI card (it is brand new).

Anyway, your instructions are only for Windows XP, 7, and 8. Please help.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:23 pm

Hi MistyBlue2010,
What happens if you follow instructions for Windows 8 -- does the Settings.xml file exist at that location?

MistyBlue2010

Postby MistyBlue2010 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:29 pm

Okay, so I did some digging and managed to find the settings.xml but the Upload key is just a string of Zeros.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:30 pm

Hi MistyBlue,
That usually means one of two things. Here are the steps:
1) Insert eye-fi card into computer, open official eye-fi software, go to settings of the card. Make sure ALL "features" like Eye-Fi cloud, Relay Print, etc are turned OFF
2) After changing settings, put the card in your camera, and using the official software on your computer, take & transfer at least 10 photos (so they show up on your computer).
3) Shut down the official eyefi software on your computer gracefully (proper exit)
Now go and look at Settings.xml again, any change?

MistyBlue2010

Postby MistyBlue2010 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:53 pm

Thanks! Yep, so I got the Upload Key and everything working on that end. The wifi network has been added to the Eye-Fi Pro's card but now I have a new problem.

I am connected to the wifi network on both the printer and the iPad but the Eye-Fi card isn't connecting to the wifi network.

Return to “Help: Cameras using EyeFi cards”