Photo showing as a grey rectangle?

EyeFi cards only
mrossman

Photo showing as a grey rectangle?

Postby mrossman » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:58 pm

I bought wifibooth pro. Connecting a canon 60D to an iPad with eyefi.

I think I'm all set up correctly. I've sent text photos via email but they are weird numbered grey rectangles instead on my photo. They show up in my iPad photo album as well.

I made sure my resolution isn't too hig. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

tim
Site Admin

Re: Photo showing as a grey rectangle?

Postby tim » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:09 pm

Sorry you're having trouble. I'm afraid I don't think I understand what you mean by numered grey rectangles -- do you mean the placeholder photos 01, 02, 03, and 04, that come when you first create a new event in wifibooth (ie. the first time you run the app) ?

Did you see any photos come from your camera to the app yet?
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

mrossman

Postby mrossman » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:53 pm

Hmm, I guess I haven't gotten any photos to send then. I happened to take 3 or 4 photos so I thought those were them.

Any suggestion as to what's wrong?

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:55 pm

Eye-fi is tricky. The company doesn't give me anything I can use to make it easier.

Did you read the help article here? https://wifibooth.com/article/eyeficonnect/
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

mrossman

Postby mrossman » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:59 pm

I'm reading your thread on upload key. You say "You need to first get the card transferring photos to your computer."

So I have to get them transferring between computer or iPad?

Thanks!

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:01 pm

The point is that in order for there to exist an upload key for your card, the card must have already been used to transfer photos to somewhere. Since you can't read files (that contain the upload key) from an iOS device, you use a computer.

mrossman

Postby mrossman » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:15 pm

Ok, I'm sorry to bother you but I've definitely transferred photos from camera to computer.

I've tried to get the upload key and pasted the Keenai command into terminal.
I get an email with wifibooth:// link

and when I click on it in the iPad it opens into wifibooth app but I don't eversee or get a 32 charachter EyeFi key.

Any suggestions?

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:16 pm

Please paste the link here so i can see if it looks ok

mrossman

Postby mrossman » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:20 pm

wifibooth://setEyeFiKey/00-18-56-71-c0-1b/

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:28 pm

That's the problem -- there's no key there. That means there's no key stored in your keenai's offline.db.
It's a mystery to me why not, but likely you need to try:
1) in keenai software with your card inserted, turn OFF all extra options, including saving RAW files, saving things to keenai cloud, anything to do with locking/protection, cloud stuff etc.
2) make sure the card itself has no extra settings if there's a separate place for that
3) making sure wifibooth is not running (kill it), take some photos on your camera and make sure they show up (instantly) to your computer. They need to not go thru the cloud
4) assuming that works, try the command again to see if the key is generated this time.

A proper link looks something like wifibooth://setEyeFiKey/00-18-56-71-c0-1b/abcdefghikjlmnopklrs/

mrossman

Postby mrossman » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:51 pm

Hmm. Thank you. I'm not sure what the problem is. Should I contact eyefi support?

Photos transfer beautifully, and directly, though not instantly, from cameral to computer. They don't seem to go in the cloud or anything. They go right to a folder in my Pictures folder.

So the card connect and transfers pictures. I just cant get it to connect to ipad or to get the terminal command to generate a 32 character upload code.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:03 pm

Your card, by default, is not sending photos to the computer. It's sending to the cloud via internet access, then your computer gets them from the cloud.
That's why I said you need to turn the cloud functionality off in the computer's keenai software. Did you try that?

mrossman

Postby mrossman » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:02 pm

Ok, So I got the key. Should it keep asking for it every time I open wifibooth or remember it?

I still don't think I've gotten it to connect camera to iPad. It keeps transferring to computer and I've shut the computer down. I believe I have the card configured properly.

The only thing I can think of is that I have little control over managing the networks in configuring the card?

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:05 pm

Hi there,
If you see the 32-character key when you start wifibooth and hit the eyefi button, then you don't need to (ever) worry about the upload key again. WiFi Booth remembers it.
If images aren't transferring, make sure you're taking at least 5 and waiting a while ... if still nothing, there are additional steps you can follow here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=362

mrossman

Postby mrossman » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:30 pm

I still can't get anything to go from camera to iPad. I don't see anything where it's going to/through Keenai cloud

Is there something you're seeing on those configure screen grabs showing this?

Sorry, I feel silly and I'm very techy. I even have my IT person up here to see if there's anything I'm missing.

We bought this trying to use this for an event at work--this is a college and we have wifi running though the institution. Is this possibly the issue? I just figured if this is professiona-level photo booth that similar wifi running through a conference space or hotel shouldn't be an issue right?

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:48 pm

Did you configure the Eye-Fi card to connect to a wifi network that exists in the place you're using it? Is your iPad's wifi also connected to that wifi network?
Eye-fi setup is sadly not easy.
If you think your wifi network might be the issue, or there might be other computers on that wifi network with eyefi software, then please try using the hotspot of your phone for testing.

The post I sent in my last reply has a set of steps, did you run through them? If yes, where did you get to? viewtopic.php?f=5&t=362

mrossman

Postby mrossman » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:04 pm

I did run through all the steps even before posting to you. I really appreciate your help and I've definitely tried searching for my own answers and asking my professional IT colleague to double check me.

I'm able to get images to transfer from camera to compute but still not camera to ipad. I've tired deleting the app and starting over. When I kill wifi or shut down my computer I do get "transferring" on the camera but nothing shows up in the wifibooth app or in Photos.

We can't see where there's anything on the card configurations connecting it to Keenai cloud but that's the only other thing we can think of other than the wifi itself. We have made sure eye-fi card and ipad are both connected to the same network. No other computers or eyefi cards exist as far as I know. I asked around before purchasing this one.

I don't believe my phone allows hotspot use.

I haven't set up Keenai cloud and I don't see any check boxes to check or uncheck. The Keenai tab in the configs has an email and some sort of free subscription but I don't see anything here where I'm asking it to go through.

To just try to get through this event tomorrow I've tried selecting "iPad camera" on choose your weapon but I don't see how that works either. I've allowed wifibooth access to my photos and camera.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:30 pm

Happy to help, and i'm sorry that eyefi is difficult :) I do wish eyefi would have accepted my request to make it easier.

Re iPad camera what is not working? This mode means that the wifibooth app will take photos with the camera of the ipad. Does it not do that for you?

Re eyefi, you do see a long key (32 characters) when you select the mode "EyeFi" in wifibooth (the choose your weapon screen), right?
Presuming yes, then it's time to try a different wifi network to rule out issues there. If your phone doesn't allow hotspot, you can grab someone else's phone, or grab a wifi router from home. It does NOT need internet access - you just need to have a wifi network to test with, that you know doesn't use some special authentication stuff (EyeFi cards are NOT capable of anything more than just basic WEP/WPA authentication)

Return to “Help: Cameras using EyeFi cards”