Taking photos from the iPad

EyeFi cards only
grybka

Taking photos from the iPad

Postby grybka » Mon May 16, 2016 1:41 pm

Hi,

I am using an eyefi card in a Nikon D3300 and I am trying to take photos remotely using the WiFiBooth app. Is this possible? Or do I need to use a separate remote to trigger the camera? Is an intervalometer needed to achieve this?

Basically, the first best situation is to have the app be the only thing that people interface with and it triggers the camera with count down intervals, then they could email, etc. the photos to themselves after arranging.

Is this set up possible with this app? Do I need additional equipment?

tim
Site Admin

Re: Taking photos from the iPad

Postby tim » Mon May 16, 2016 1:48 pm

You cannot trigger the shutter via Eye-Fi. You need a remote trigger, they are cheap. I recommend the Phottix Plato. Works well with nikon, canon etc

grybka

Postby grybka » Mon May 16, 2016 3:00 pm

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the reply.

Will the following combination work as a remote?
Nikon WU-1a Wireless Mobile Adapter for Nikon Digital SLRs
Nikon ML-L3 Wireless Remote Control

Then the pictures will just come up on the app? And people can create their image they want and email them?

Also, is there a trick to get it to stay with the eyefi wireless and not take on a different network?

Best,
Greg

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Mon May 16, 2016 3:04 pm

Hi yes this should work. Please try the app for free and make sure everything works before you do the in-app purchase.

grybka

Postby grybka » Mon May 16, 2016 3:16 pm

I actually ended up renting it for a week. I thought that that might have been the issue as to why it was not taking photos. If I can't get it set up, which should be by tomorrow, can you honor a refund?

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Mon May 16, 2016 3:55 pm

As a developer I have no power to give you a refund directly -- on the receipt in your email from apple there is a link where you can apply for one.
Or if you like, if you get your equipment later I could give you a couple of weeks for free.
Whatever you prefer.

grybka

Postby grybka » Tue May 17, 2016 10:33 am

So thre eyefi card/camera cannot talk with the computer without an internet connection, is that right? It can run with a hotspot created by an android phone, right?

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Tue May 17, 2016 10:52 am

I am not sure what you mean by "talk with the computer".
To take photos with a camera that has an eye-fi card, and have these appear in WiFi Booth, a wifi hotspot of some kind is required. No internet access is required (unless you want instagam or dropbox functionality)

Stirlo54

Postby Stirlo54 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:10 am

Hi Tim.
I have similar questions.
Is there a way to connect directly from camera to iPad therefore using a shutter button on the iPad, yet still have email conectiverty for sharing collections??

I have recently purchased an eye fi mobi card but tn found that there is no shutter button on the app.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:29 am

It is not possible for any app with eyefi to make a shutter button because eyefi doesnt support it. Get a remote trigger for the camera like a phottix plato - cheap and easy.

Yes you can have eyefi and email/dropbox: configure the eyefi and ipad as per the help instructions to connect to a wifi router(like your iphone with hotspot)

mangodays

Postby mangodays » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:59 am

Hiya, is there an API released for this yet? It would be a great feature if the IPAD could have a nifty countdown timer for my DSLR. I would definitely pay for this function. :)

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:25 am

Im very sorry - i have reached out to EyeFi again and again and it seems they are just not interested in supporting developers. Also i dont think SD cards can ever trigger a camera.

Your best bet is to upgrade to a camera with wifi built-in. The canon T6i / 750D is a good option

harry

Postby harry » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:45 am

can I use this canon wifi adapter?

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/cata ... apter-w-e1

I really love this app but I am not sure if this will work to allow the app to tkae the picture?

Thank you

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:54 pm

No, that Canon SD card that only supports 2 or 3 Canon cameras is not supported. The only SD wifi card that's supported is Eye-fi (Mobi PRO if you're going to get one). Please note that SD cards cannot trigger the camera. That means in Eye-fi mode, the app is missing features including triggering the camera, which means remote functionality from iphone / watch doesn't work. I highly recommend getting a camera with built-in wifi if you plan to do lots of photobooths.

harry

Postby harry » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:31 pm

ok,
I see. I only am planning to use it for one event.

If I buy the canon T6, which has wifi built in, the app will trigger the camera to take a photo and also allow it to auto-focus or do I have to leave it on manual focus?

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:38 pm

It will autofocus as it takes the photo.

harry

Postby harry » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:41 pm

awesome,

so I will buy the camera with built-in wifi.

Thanks Tim!

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:42 pm

You're very welcome. If you are happy with the support please leave me a review on the apple app store, reviews really help me!

harry

Postby harry » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:30 pm

I certainly will, I have ordered the new camera.

Return to “Help: Cameras using EyeFi cards”