When to use EyeFi Card

EyeFi cards only
sjmelend

When to use EyeFi Card

Postby sjmelend » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:29 pm

Hi I'm a little confused as to when I need to use an EyeFi card. I have a Canon EOS Rebel T2i. It doesn't have the ability to connect to wifi. I was hoping that the EyeFi card would be the work around for this issue. I don't need the ability to upload anything to Twitter or the internet. I just want to get the pictures from my camera to my iPad. Will the EyeFi card allow me to do this?

As a second question does anyone know if there's a way to directly connect my camera to my iPad?

Thanks,
Scott

tim
Site Admin

Re: When to use EyeFi Card

Postby tim » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:23 pm

Hi Scott
Welcome to the forum.
Yes an eye-fi card (mobi pro) will get the photos to the ipad. But eyefi has limitations: it cannot trigger the camera so a bunch of wifibooth's features won't work including live view. It is also difficult to set up!
If you are able to spring for a cam with builtin wifi like the 750D you won't regret it.
Apple doesnt allow apps access to the lightning port so there is no way to connect the camera with wires.
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

SpvdMerwe

Postby SpvdMerwe » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:44 pm

Hi Tim.

I see in one thread you mentioned you cannot trigger the camera (canon650D in our case) from the app on the ipad. Is this true? Also, will a Toshiba FlashAir 8Gb card work instead of the eyefi? We live in Namibia and it is a bit difficult to get one of those in our country.

Thanks.

Regards,
SP van der Merwe

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:21 pm

Hi SP,
There is no SD card (Eyefi, FlashAir, etc) that can trigger a camera. Such a thing doesn't exist, because SD cards are for storage only. They can exhibit no control over a camera, such as telling it to trigger. So it is not possible to trigger a camera without the camera having built-in wifi.

No, Toshiba FlashAir is not supported. I am thinking about adding support for CamFi, but have not done this yet.
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

SpvdMerwe

Postby SpvdMerwe » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:03 am

Great thanks for the reply.

Just to be clear, what features are then available if I use the Eyefi mobi pro Wifi card with Wifibooth?

Thanks.
SP

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:44 am

With eyefi, you must trigger the camera yourself (ie. get a hardware remote like the Phottix Plato or whatever works with your camera). The app's home screen will be the gallery screen, ie. the guests will start from the gallery showing the photos. When new photos arrive from the eyefi card, they'll automatically show up at the top of the gallery.
Please note that setting up the eyefi card to work with wifibooth is difficult and requires a computer with the eyefi software installed (just once for setup, not during the use of the app)

kuhrios

Postby kuhrios » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:18 pm

Hi guys,
to understand you right, it is not possible to use e.g. a Toshiba FlashAir W-04 card to connect my camera to the Wifibooth app?
My plan is the following:
Building my own photobooth by using an iPad Air 2 with the Wifibooth app, a Canon EOS 550D (no on-board wifi) with the Toshiba FlashAir W-04 and a wooden box to store everything.

For remote control of the camera I can use a extra cable based or Wifi remote, but shouldn't it be possible to use the FlashAir card to send the taken pictures from the camera to the gallery of the Wifibooth app on my iPad?

Or do I need to invest into another DSLR with integraded wifi to setup this project?

Any suggestion would be nice :)

Thanks
kuhrios

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:45 pm

I highly recommend that you invest in a Canon 750D or better.
Any wifi SD card like an eyefi card has severe limitations: it cannot trigger the camera, cannot retrieve images taken before just now, is slower, and much harder to set up.

kuhrios

Postby kuhrios » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:08 am

Thank you for your answer!
Sounds like that...
Maybe I'll find a good second hand 750D and can sell my 550D for a good price :)

Best
Kuhrios

Return to “Help: Cameras using EyeFi cards”