Can't connect the camera to app

EyeFi cards only
cdngirl

Can't connect the camera to app

Postby cdngirl » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:06 am

In wifi booth app, I selected eye-fi card & entered in the upload key that I got from the settings file. The app prompts me to choose an event. I created a new one & clicked done. It then asks me to pls start connection to my camera. I clicked a few photos (more than 5) on my camera with the mobi card in it but no connection was established. It continues to say - "Pls start the connection on the camera"

I'm using a lumix camera w/ a mobi pro card. A few things were different from your instructions during setup.
The app that you download from Eyefi is called Eyefi Mobi Desktop Transfer. I had to make some changes on my windows firewall settings to add my home network to get to the upload key.

In the options menu of the eyefi mobi desktop transfer app
- I disabled wireless Raw Transfer
- Enabled selective transfer
- Added my home wifi network. Its displayed in the configured networks. [Note: I have only one available network & this is showing as configured]
- Transfer settings are setup to move photos to subfolders when uploaded to the computer.
- Auto Connect is enabled
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Things I tried/checked based on other people w/ the same issue on the forum
- ipad is on the same network I configured on the mobi card - my home network
- I did indeed enter in the upload key. Verified that it was correct & I didn't miss part of the key
- Verified that the eyefi mobi apps are not running on my computer or ipad (shutdown laptop just to be sure).
- Powered off my ipad completely - twice.
- Verified that the mobi card works and uploads pics to the mobi app on my ipad when its connected to the mobi wifi.

There is no button to turn off upload eyefi cloud on the card options. Note: I also did not config the card to upload to the cloud.
Note: my upload key starts with 17acxxx. Not sure if that matters. In one post you mentioned it starts w/ e1xxx or e3xxx.

One other odd thing, after taking several shots with the camera & going back to the settings in wifibooth. The event does show 4 pictures were taken. When I go to the ipad photos and that album it shows 4 pics of grey boxes w/ 1,2,3,4.

Not sure what else to do. Please help...
I also didn't receive an note from you regarding the promotion to trial the app. I did put in a review as you requested.

PS: I didn't realize until I was reading the community that if you are using the mobi card it doesn't let you trigger the photo on the ipad (like a remote). I know your suggestion is to use a remote. The benefit I see in using the ipad is that the remote doesn't disappear on you if you take it to a party. I wanted to use your app for an upcoming baby shower of mine. My cousin had hers recently & three people were constantly taking photos of guests throughout the party. I figured this was an easy way for people to take a photo themselves. Guests can be guests. The ability to trigger the photo through the ipad also gives you the same experience if you had a professional photo booth (that you see at weddings). There is a count down & you get to see you photo. Plus noone is touching your camera & you don't need someone behind the camera.

My original plan was to use your app & build a box similar to what this guy did & trigger the photos in the same way. I have to rethink my plan a bit as I think if I go this route I have to get myself a remote now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxaZJV_57Go

tim
Site Admin

Re: Can't connect the camera to app

Postby tim » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:24 pm

Hi there,
Yeah I'd love to implement the remote thru Eye-Fi, however this is completely impossible: Eye-Fi simply provides no API for this. There is no instruction my app can send to Eye-Fi to say "take a photo now".

I read thru your setup and didn't notice anything obviously wrong (you've obviously spent a lot of time working on this!)
Just to check: you are using a mobi PRO card, not just a "mobi" card, correct? I assume this from your description.

One thing I would try first: instead of using your home wifi network to connect ipad & eye-fi card, use an iphone/android phone's personal hotspot feature to test. I suggest this because you can SEE as devices connect to the iphone/android (they should say "X devices connected"). That should help you see that at least your eye-fi card IS connecting where you think it is.
So, here are the steps:

1. please change your eye-fi card's settings to connect to some iphone/android hotspot (if iphone, you must leave the iphone on the personal hotspot screen while you do this!), and don't forget to REMOVE your home wifi network from the eye-fi mobi pro's network list!
2. Then on ipad, tell it to forget your home wifi (otherwise it'll just hop back on your home wifi the second it feels like it)
3. Connect your ipad to iphone/android hotspot
4. Kill wifibooth if it is running. Then start wifibooth, choose eye-fi, verify there's an upload key already in the field, and go forward
5. Try taking pictures on camera (at least 5). Verify that on the iphone/android, you can see TWO devices connected (eyefi card and ipad).

Did it work?

cdngirl

Postby cdngirl » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:49 pm

Hi Tim,

I tried it w/ no luck. I do have a mobi pro card.

1. I added my personal hotspot "vphone" to the card. Removed my home wifi of the network list on the card.
2. Told my ipad to forget my home wifi.
3. Connect my ipad to "vphone"
4. Kill wifibooth. Opened it up again. Selected eyefi. Verified the upload key was the same. I double checked the upload key in the settings file.
5. Took more than 5 photos. Verify that on the iphone shows two connections. It doesn't specify which ones.

Each time, it filled the photo album with 4 photos of grey box w/ the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4. Basically the default pic that is there before a photo is captured.

Tried it twice even after powering off my ipad and back on again.

** Verified that all my instances of mobi apps are off - computer and ipad.

There is one thing I haven't tried.. enabling the trial which gives me full functionality. Maybe that will help.

cdngirl

Postby cdngirl » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:59 pm

I have a correction. Although my phone showed I had two connections. My 2nd laptop jumped from my home network to the personal hotspot. I was using it to read the instructions. It wasn't actually connecting to the mobi card. As soon as I shut off my laptop. It reverted to one connection, my ipad.

Is there anything on the wifi booth settings that I need to change ?
- I can see the upload key displayed on the ipad

Is there something on the mobi card advanced settings that needs to change ?
- I verified that the only network showing on the configured list is my personal hotspot vphone.

PS: I restored purchases so I've officially enabled my trial finally. :-)

Any other suggestions ?

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:26 pm

It sounds like your eyefi card was never connecting to the correct wifi (in this case, your iphone).
Basically what you need to do is insert the eyefi card in your computer, double-check that the only network in the network settings that it can connect to is your iphone network (recreate it to be safe), and then go turn AAAAALLLL settings off that you can. Definitely turn OFF selective transfer (I didn't spot that before in your original post). Turn off eyefi cloud, turn off all the things that can be turned off.
Then, it will work...
You know you are getting further if you see the eyefi card connecting to your iphone.

cdngirl

Postby cdngirl » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:10 pm

Hi Tim,

It worked. Not sure what I disabled that allowed me to finally get photos.

I noticed a few things :
- Once I choose a couple of photos to make a collage. It doesn't offer a chance to save. It does autosave after a few seconds. I couldn't tell when. The only two options are to X or add an email.
- Photos take a bit to come across to the ipad. Don't know if this the mobi or hotspot.
- haven't quite figure out what happens once I add an email & if I haven't configured it to upload to drop box. Do I get a list of emails somewhere ?
(I didn't receive the photo to my email)

I think I have a bit of homework to do tonight to play w/ it abit.

Thanks for the help

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:15 pm

That's great that you got the eyefi working! :D
Here are some answers to your questions:
- if you set the settings to auto upload collages to dropbox or save them in a camera roll album (sounds like you did), then collages get saved when either the email or the print button on a collage is pressed
- if you cant see the print button then you didnt add a printer yet
- to get saved emails: go to the event view, choose the event you want the emails from, press the icon at the top right, then emails
- to make it faster: set your camera to take jpg in resolution as close to 1800x1200 as possible. Probably it's LOWEST setting

Return to “Help: Cameras using EyeFi cards”