Eye-Fi X2 cannot activate card

EyeFi cards only
smartcooky

Eye-Fi X2 cannot activate card

Postby smartcooky » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:56 pm

I have an Eye-Fi Pro X2 card, and have been successfully using it to upload photos to my desktop using the X2 Utility after Eye-Fi decided to screw over their existing customer base and stop supporting the X2. Recently, I had a computer crash that bricked my Desktop HDD. No problem I thought, as I back up three times each week. However, after I restored my backup, the Eye-Fi X2 utility would not run at all. Fortunately, I had kept a copy of the install file, so I reinstalled it, and ran it. No photos would upload.

When I clicked [Options] I found there was no card listed, so I followed the instructions to activate the card by inserting the card into its reader and plugging it into a USB port and then clicking [Activate new card] and this screen pops up

I do have both the 6 digit card serial number and the 8 digit activation code written down, however, the activation code input box is greyed out; I cannot click in it to input the code. I am assuming that it is looking somewhere on my computer for that code, but I have no idea where that might be. Has anyone here run into this problem before and been able to fix it and restore their X2 to working order again?

PS: When the card is plugged into the camera and I take a few pictures I cannot see the card (Eye-Fi Card 63dfa7) listed in my wifi router WLAN devices but it does appear on my android and I can connect to it with the activation code, so the card must be transmitting.

tim
Site Admin

Re: Eye-Fi X2 cannot activate card

Postby tim » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:22 pm

Hmm. My guess is that the issue is on your windows computer: you restored from a backup with some data in the registry / on the HD somewhere, and after reinstalling, that data has led to some weird state where the Eye-fi software shows this bug.
To test if i'm right, try installing the utility on a computer that has never had Eye-Fi software before, assuming Eye-fi's servers are still running etc. But maybe they are not -- that company is absolutely horrendous at treating their customers like humans....
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

smartcooky

Postby smartcooky » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:32 pm

Hi Tim and thanks for the quick reply

I just tried repeating everything on my home computer (also a Win 10). Same result. There appears to be no way yo input the activation code.

I might just go back to work and look through the registry and C:~\AppData\Roaming\Eye-Fi to see if there is something there that might help.

I also have an old backup that I might have a look in.

smartcooky

Postby smartcooky » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:57 pm

I am pleased to report that I have resolved this issue. Here is how I did it

1. I located a back-up of my HDD dated immediately prior to the one that failed to restore correctly.

2. I used "Macrium Reflect" to mount a restore file as a disk (drive F:) in "This PC"

3. I opened the mounted disk and used search to locate every folder and file including "Eye-Fi" in its name, and any files located in folders of that name and in any sub-folder.

4. Using drag and drop, I manually restored all of these files and folders from their path in Drive F: to the same path in drive C:

It worked; my Eye-Fi X2 card is now fully functional again.

PS: this is not going to work for anyone who has not already had their Eye-Fi X2 card functioning previously (and of course, those who don't bother to back up their HDDs at all.)

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:27 am

Blimey, the hoops Eyefi makes you jump through!
Well done! 💪
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

Return to “Help: Cameras using EyeFi cards”