Suggestions/Ideas

Want something changed, or have a great idea you want to share?
johannTBox

Suggestions/Ideas

Postby johannTBox » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:41 pm

Hey Tim,

Some probably already mentioned ideas. Maybe you can tell me what you think about it:

digital props: Heads beards and other stuff that the app puts on the faces

green screen: Just asked in another topic

changing colours: Being able to switch all the colours of the app. Especially if its a company job sometimes the current colours seem not professional

Maybe I will put some more here but for now thats it.

Thank you Tim and keep up the good work!

Johann

johannTBox

Re: Suggestions/Ideas

Postby johannTBox » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:46 am

Hey Tim,

Also:

What about the ability for the customers to choose filters?

Thank you

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:16 am

Filters have been on the list for a while. It requires specific design work that I havent had done yet. Hopefully for halloween...
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

johannTBox

Postby johannTBox » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:21 am

Ok sounds promising. What about the other features?

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:07 am

Green screen is on the list too...
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

johannTBox

Postby johannTBox » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:51 pm

He’s Tim,

What’s the status here? Any new features that will blow our minds? :)

iPhone camera is one already... what about green screen. Is ios12 really giving you more possibilities for that case?

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:07 pm

Green screen has been built for iPhone-remote camera. The remote iPhone requires a dual camera (iPhone 7+, 8+, X, XS, XS Max have these)

johannTBox

Postby johannTBox » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:33 pm

Will it be able for dslr too?

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:58 pm

No: DSLRs don't have depth-data, because they only have 1 image / camera. The dual-cameras iPhones are taking 2 photos at once, blending them, and giving me depth data.
This is required because you don't need a colored background (a green screen) to make it work.
Most people don't have colored backgrounds for their events.

johannTBox

Postby johannTBox » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:02 am

hey,

So there is no plan for green screen with dslr? I would definitely buy a green screen if the app would be able to do it.

Does your experience really show that for example the iPhone X is really an alternative for our alpha 6300?

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:44 am

If you bought a green screen, you'd still have to deal with the problem of lighting it perfectly: it has to be very evenly lighted, so that the color the camera sees is constant across the entire background. That's because you want the chromakey (green screen) effect to operate on only a very narrow band of color (ie. a very specific shade of green), so that people with green clothing don't get it blended into the background as well.
In other words, getting green-screen set up is difficult. The vast majority of Wifibooth users are either not going to be willing to purchase the background, or, are not going to be able to light it properly and deal with the app calibration that would be required (ie. the green screen you'd buy wouldn't be the same color as the one i'd get here, so the app would have to ask you to calibrate it, ugh)

This is in stark contrast with achieving the green screen effect with depth (disparity) data, which:
- requires no calibration on the app
- requires no background (no green screen)
- requires no special lighting
For these reasons, there's no plan to implement chromakey (green screen by color).

In answer to your question, the rear camera of an iPhone 8+, X, XS, XS Max, when used for a photobooth in good & controlled lighting conditions, is not going to be noticeably better or worse than a Sony a6300 to the average event guest. You as a photographer will be able to see differences, sure - but I seriously doubt your clients will. Again: i'm limiting this statement to good & controlled lighting conditions. And obviously, the main problem with using the iPhone camera is that you cannot sync a strobe flash to it -- you are forced to use constant lighting, which can have its own issues.

Return to “Suggestions & Ideas”