Camera via USB with Manfrotto Digital Director

Want something changed, or have a great idea you want to share?
RawShore

Camera via USB with Manfrotto Digital Director

Postby RawShore » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:30 am

Hey, is there any chance to get a compatibility to this manfrotto Digital Director? It‘s a device that lets you connect your camera via USB to an iPad. I think it could help many users to solve their problems and it got cheap in the last weeks.

https://www.manfrotto.de/produkte/video ... lsrc=aw.ds

It already exists an app providing that feature but I would love to have WifiBooth to be working again for me.

Thanks.

tim
Site Admin

Re: Camera via USB with Manfrotto Digital Director

Postby tim » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:54 am

This has been asked about multiple times, but there are multiple issues with this:
- it is discounted because it is old, which probably means it is not going to be supported for long. For example, on the website there is a download to update support for iOS 9. We're on iOS 12, and there's a download for iOS 9 support... also read the reviews on amazon.com, there are complaints that manfrotto doesn't actually support this product, it is from some unknown third party that is doing a poor job
- there's no support for third-party apps like wifibooth. There's no API or SDK I can use to connect using this device
- no one who has talked about this product has purchased one. I know zero people who own one

If Apple allows developers to use the USB-C/lightning port freely without custom MFi-enabled hardware (Apple's way of gating the hardware port), or, if some camera manufacturer finally makes an accessory that tethers it to the iPad with a wired connection and makes this affordable (ie. not $1000 pro pricing), i'll support it if at all possible.

I'm not sure why Wifibooth isn't working for you? It should! What camera?
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

RawShore

Re: Camera via USB with Manfrotto Digital Director

Postby RawShore » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:08 am

Hi, I am owning one of those Manfrotto Digital directors and its works perfekt (eBay 60€). Live view without lagging, taking picture, doing camera setup everything works without problems.

So it seems to be a very good way to connect a older iPad with any DSLR Without Problems.

There is already a app called snappic, I have used it 2 times. It’s too expensive but I had 2 events for some friends of me and so I had to find an alternative.

If it would be possible to get that function to WiFibooth it could help a lot of people having trouble with there setup. Like I had... and ich mich cheaper than buying a new iPad/camera or both

Return to “Suggestions & Ideas”