Upload Images to FTP Server

Want something changed, or have a great idea you want to share?
timoetting

Upload Images to FTP Server

Postby timoetting » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:21 pm

I think it would be great if the app could automatically upload the images to a ftp server. This would give me the possibility to list the pictures on a website in real time during the event.

tim
Site Admin

Re: Upload Images to FTP Server

Postby tim » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:24 pm

Hi there,
At the moment there are two ways you could list the pictures on your website live, as they are taken:
1) Twitter -- tweet collages to #yourHashtag, and on the webpage, display a live stream of #yourHashtag. There are lots of Twitter widgets available for your website. This would work for collages only.
2) Dropbox -- have your website grab images from Dropbox using one of their many mature APIs or SDKs or widgets, and show them. This would work for collages or individual photos.
Warning: I highly recommend that you do not auto-upload individual photos to the public/internet. This is how embarrassing photos get posted, and you're then liable (think underage woman in short skirt, jumping in the air in the photo...) If you live post only collages, you ensure that a human chose the photos.

timoetting

Postby timoetting » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:23 pm

Hey tim,

thanks for the suggestions and your "warning" :) I was planning to have the event's websites password protected, therefore the images would not be public in the first place.

Regarding your dropbox solution and your thoughts on privacy it would be nice if wifi booth would delete images from the dropbox folder directly when they are deleted inside the app.

Thanks for your quick reply!

Best regards
Tim

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:34 pm

You are welcome. That's a good idea to delete photos from dropbox if the guest deletes them from wifibooth. But im not sure how many people turn on the setting to allow guests to delete photos. Did you find this and turn it on?

One thing i was thinking about for getting the photos to your website: currently the app supports printing to either airprint (ie normal) or to ftp (settings). I could make it possible that both happen, ie when someone prints a collage then the collage is also uploaded over ftp. Would that solve your problem or is it a hard requirement that every single photo is uploaded? Everything is doable but of course im lookig for the easiest way because there are a million other features to build.

timoetting

Postby timoetting » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:53 pm

I used my photo booth on two events by now. On both events I turned the delete feature on. I realized that you did not place this feature on a very prominent position and I can imagine why this is not a default setting. It would take just one jerk on your party who deletes all the photos and your booth pictures are gone. I'm till undecided if I will turn it on next time. However, the dropbox folder should match with the photographs in the app. If a guest deletes the short-skirt-jumping-picture in the app, she would be a bit irritated if the dropbox link that she receives some days later still contains this picture ;)

I guess many photo booth providers offer a service to view the pictures via an online gallery after the party. Many photographers offer this service, too. My idea was to have this website being filled with new pictures during the event so that guests can directly view and download them on their smartphones. I am a web developer. So, besides that, having access to the pictures as easy as just looking into a folder I could imagine even more use cases to use the pictures (like having a projector showing the latest images or what ever). I think it would be a bit too limiting for my case if I would only have access to those pictures that have been printed. However, I get your point with all the other features in your queue. I think the dropbox solution could work for me for now.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:22 pm

Thanks for the detailed answer!
Yes, deleting the photos from dropbox is now a feature on the todo list :)
FWIW: I (when I'm wearing my photographer hat) also offer my clients a web gallery of all the photos from the wifibooth after the event is done. But I would NOT want wifibooth to be live-uploading the photos from the app straight to the web, because they are unedited JPGs. I configure my camera to take both RAW and JPG (wifibooth doesn't touch the RAW). After the event is over I take the SD card, grab the RAW files, run them through a preset (includes color and sharpening), manually tweak the lighting per location (if multiple locations), and batch export them to JPG -- then I upload them to the gallery. The edited JPGs look a ton better, primarily because of the sharpening and the preset that I apply.

Return to “Suggestions & Ideas”