Green Screen integration?

Want something changed, or have a great idea you want to share?
shanos

Green Screen integration?

Postby shanos » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:32 am

Just another quick question, it seems that there is a lot of interest from people wanting to book photobooths with green screen backgrounds, is this something that could be implemented in to the software?
Would an ipad (decent spec one) be able to do this in realtime? do Apple have API's inplace for something like this or would it be something that you would have to program if it were to be added?

I can see why people like the idea as it allows a lot more flexibility for them as well as a selling point for people operating the booths etc.

Let me know what you think, is it possible? is it something other booth operators would like to see?

Regards Shane

tim
Site Admin

Re: Green Screen integration?

Postby tim » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:39 am

There's definitely no API from apple for this but i'm guessing the ipad has enough horsepower to do it. It would be a very difficult feature to build though. What type of content would you want on the background and how would you give that to the app?
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

shanos

Postby shanos » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:07 am

I was hoping for an interface that would allow the person booking the party to pre select a backdrop from the camera roll in the ipad, or perhaps allow the people about to take their pic to select from say 4/5 different options before taking their pics.

Re the type of content perhaps a space scene or racing track, or balloons to be fair pretty much open to what can be grabbed from stock photos etc.

Shane

miniblin

Postby miniblin » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:04 am

Juste a small +1 for the idea, but not necessarily in real time.
Taking the pic(s) with a green background (that would be seen in the live view), and processing it after, to get the final collage with wanted background. With custom settings like threshold etc. in the settings to adjust the green detection

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:55 am

I think if it's not in realtime it will be much less impressive.
Did anyone else see the Apple augmented reality (AR) demos from iOS 11 ? Man, that tech looks like it could have some very cool photobooth integration...
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:13 am

Closing the loop here: green-screen is now available in Wifibooth when using a remote iPhone as the camera.
You can read how, here: https://wifibooth.com/help/articles/remotedevicecamera/

aluminumwelder

Postby aluminumwelder » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:11 am

if anyone has an iPhone 8 or latter and can post some full resolution images to see how good the cut out quality is that would be great.
Other competitors images I have seen are mixed results. I think lighting is very important for good quality Magic screen. I'm calling it that because if I understand correctly you do not need a green background for this to work.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:42 pm

Correct, no green-screen / background is required for the green-screen effect.
I made these a few moments ago with BluePrint - I took one without the green-screen effect (separate photo) so you can see what the software had to do.
I think this is pretty great :)

This is from an iPhone XS but quality should be about the same on iPhone 8+. (For others) it must be a dual-camera iPhone to achieve this, and iPhone 7+ won't work. iPhone 8+, X, or XS currently. Read how to achieve this, here: https://wifibooth.com/help/articles/remotedevicecamera/
The photos are taken from about the same height. The green-screen effect appears more zoomed-in because it is using the telephoto length whereas the non-green-screen (reference) photo here is using the wide-angle length

aluminumwelder

Postby aluminumwelder » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:31 pm

People are going to love this! you really have to market this more!
I am impressed how good the cut out is of the cute little girl.

No more green fringe fron a green screen, very nice!

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:00 pm

Hey thanks!!!
Well based on your response then you must be right, I need to market this more 😅 i will get on this asap!
If you have any tips for where to market to photobooth pros i am ALL EARS

aluminumwelder

Postby aluminumwelder » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:14 pm

I would keep making youtube videos,it is effective and free
facebook groups are a good start too
I know several of your competing apps offer photobooth manufacturer's a discount to bundle the app with a photo booth sale
photobooth expo in las vegas is another way, but expensive to fly out and rent a booth I think it is in Feb or March, maybe network with another vendor and share a booth. Some of the vendors out there sell thigns like insurance and need a gimmick in their booth anyways to attract eyeballs so it can be a win win.
And obviously have some examples on your web site.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:22 pm

Awesome tips thanks!
Id love to offer manufacturer discounts
Which manufacturers do you like

aluminumwelder

Postby aluminumwelder » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:47 pm

from a business perspective you'd want to try to partner with a manufacturer that has a high volume of sales. I'd guess 10% of the manufacturers have their own app so obviously they wont' want to offer yours. And most of the ipad based photobooths out there do not have space for a dslr so you have a good opportunity to be different, which is good since it is competitive market for booths and apps alike.

aluminumwelder

Postby aluminumwelder » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:42 pm

Just did a few sessions with iPhone 8+ and ipad mini 4 tablet
under TestFlight I noticed there was an update to .4.7.0 5533
after updating the app, the app no longer saves a gif in the gallery. see my PM for what was happending before.

I also noticed that when she sat down it erased the bottom half of her body.
Not a big deal, because I will hardly ever have people sitting down. Curious how the green screen removal works? I assume it uses the depth map and somekind of algorythum to determine the shape of a person? At any rate it is different than a normal green screen so I will jsut have to get used to the quirks.

Is there any way to make it easier to post photos to this forum? having to host on a 3rd party website is really bad because the pictures can get erased and then half a year latter when people are reading a thread for guidance they dont' see the photos anymore.

aluminumwelder

Postby aluminumwelder » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:46 pm

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:47 pm

Nice photos!
Yeah sorry I had to remove the ability to store any attachments from this board, because it is so insecure: this board's software was vulnerable several times last year to exploits inline in JPG data that can hack the entire website. No thanks. So unfortunately yeah use imgur or whatever...

So with the GIFs not saving, do you mean only when green-screen is on, or have ALL gifs stopped working for you in 5533? This would be important to know.

If the subject is sitting down, then the depth-data / algorithm is going to get confused because the thing the subject is sitting on is at the same depth as the body, so it cannot figure out where the body ends. The algorithm works exactly the same as iOS portrait mode :)

aluminumwelder

Postby aluminumwelder » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:56 pm

I just tried the gifs again and it took the last two sessions that had 3 photos each and made it into a 6 image gif.
session before that it made the gif correctly
and the one before that, no gif was made.
I will test more latter, have to get back to work.
It's not a big deal to me because I do not like gifs anyways, but others might want it to work correctly.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:09 pm

OK interesting thanks for letting me know. I never saw that behavior.
But hopefully i can repro it one day

aluminumwelder

Postby aluminumwelder » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:25 am

what is the idea resolution of the green screen background image?
the lotus flower was a 1920x1080 screen saver photo. It appears a little soft. I am guessing it has been upscaled to match the resolution of the iPhone camera.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:29 am

Exactly right. The resolution should match a normal photo taken with iphone rear telephoto lens (zoom).

aluminumwelder

Postby aluminumwelder » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:07 pm

wow that is a big 12mp image then 3024x4032 pixels. I'll have to do some tests to see if the quality difference is there.

aluminumwelder

Postby aluminumwelder » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:21 am

how does the iPhone xr do portrait mode with a single camera? Would be cool if this phone did "green screen" too.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:53 am

Yes I plan to support the iPhone XR for green-screen mode. I don't have access to one of them yet but i'm working on support anyways

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:30 am

update: iphone XR support built into blueprint, now i need to find an iPhone XR to test with...

aluminumwelder

Postby aluminumwelder » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:30 pm

I think the wide angle lens for the iPhone xr will be best the telephoto of the iPhone 8+ is ok, but requires a lot more space.

Return to “Suggestions & Ideas”