Needs to be able to trigger DSLR camera

Want something changed, or have a great idea you want to share?
ferociousllama

Needs to be able to trigger DSLR camera

Postby ferociousllama » Thu May 05, 2016 6:03 am

WiFi Booth is my favorite photobooth app but it lacks one major feature. I have played with it using the IPad camera and it's awesome. The only problem is that when I connect to my DSLR camera with a Eye-Fi card the icon that triggers the camera goes away and it looks like there's no way to trigger the DSLR from the app.

I can use the button on the camera but I like the look of a neat and clean photobooth with the screen being the only interface people need to interact with.

Most cameras (mine is a Canon that can be triggered by shorting the three leads from the stereo style three conductor 2.5mm connector together. Can you add a feature that allows the "take picture" icon on the iPad screen to be pressed, then count down (just like it does when using the ipad camera, the "preview" isn't necessary) and then take the picture using an output from the headphone port to the camera trigger?

tim
Site Admin

Re: Needs to be able to trigger DSLR camera

Postby tim » Thu May 05, 2016 4:09 pm

The Eye-Fi card does not support this, which is why the button goes away in Eye-Fi mode.
Interesting idea to use the headphone jack. I am not sure how to do that, but I will think about it. Maybe doing a playback of a maximally-loud sound-file would trigger it. Not sure. You'd still need the eye-fi to get the actual photo though.
Better would be to just get the new cheap T6i canon, it has built-in wifi and can be triggered by wifibooth.

ferociousllama

Postby ferociousllama » Fri May 06, 2016 12:55 pm

Hi Tim,

Unfortunately, I already own a non-wifi camera so a new camera isn't really a good option for me because I just want to have a photobooth for my aunt and uncles 50th wedding anniversary gift.

In trying various apps for a photobooth, I found TriggerTrap. The app says to turn volume to 100% for it to work and if I try to trigger the camera with nothing plugged into the headphones it makes a quiet hissing sound. I think a sound file would work.

Alternatively, I found an online tutorial to trigger the shutter through IR. My assumption is that it's just "playing" an audio file that makes the LEDs flash in the appropriate pattern to control the camera.

A IR control may be better than the plugged in wire because the IR can trigger the camera to record video for a "leave a message for bride/groom, etc. That's another idea I had for a good feature.

ferociousllama

Postby ferociousllama » Fri May 06, 2016 8:45 pm

Upon doing some research I found that the cable required to connect the Camera to the Phone isn't just a regular cable. Here is a link on how to construct one. The transistors turn on when there's output from the ipad and this bridges the focus, shutter, and ground from the camera and takes the picture.

THe link below is a person who built their own cable instead of purchasing from the manufacturer. It contains a schematic of the cable.

http://www.diyphotography.net/building- ... gger-trap/

I also found that the audio file that will trigger the camera is 19000 Hz at -19db. The length of the sound should be about .15 seconds.

I hope this is helpful in adding this feature to the already awesome WiFi Booth App!

xanderswanson

Postby xanderswanson » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:03 am

I agree that the audio triggering would be a great addition to the app

Return to “Suggestions & Ideas”