Watermark On Images After Purchase

Having a problem that isn't related to cameras or printers?
anichols381

Watermark On Images After Purchase

Postby anichols381 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:47 pm

I purchased the selfie option for a friend's small event. Noticed that watermarks were on every photo and have looked through the forums and checked everything but they're still there. I don't know how to get the watermarks off - please help. The photos are no good with a gigantic watermark on them.

tim
Site Admin

Re: Watermark On Images After Purchase

Postby tim » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:58 pm

I'm sorry but as the app clearly states when you start it, and every few photos that you take, the watermark is permanent/destructive. There's no way to remove it. If you purchased the app and got into this situation then I apologize - i'm guessing you have an old version of the app that allows you to get into this situation by turning on features you didn't purchase (you get warned when you do this, and in versions since early summer you cannot even do this)
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

anichols381

Postby anichols381 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:12 pm

I purchased on the day of the event, Sept. 8, 2018, which perhaps that's my fault for purchasing the day of, rather than days before. I tested the app before purchasing to make sure it was easy for everyone to figure out - and then I purchased. I didn't take anymore photos after I purchased and before I set up my ipad for the event - as I never thought it would be an issue. I saw something pop up when investigating after the event, about in trial mode there are watermarks that are permanent, but i'm not in trial mode - i purchased it. So there's literally zero way, ever, to get these watermarks off? And how do I stop this from happening for future events? I've been afraid to uninstall and reinstall because I didn't want to lose the photos from the app in case there was some hope of removing the watermark. Thank you for your time, I really do appreciate it.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:58 pm

You're welcome, and sorry again that this has happened to you (hopefully we can figure out *how*, so I can make it impossible for others to hit this).
You are correct, those watermarks on those photos are permanent - there's no copy of watermarked photos saved without the mark anywhere.

Let's get Wifibooth set for your next event so you don't have this issue anymore.
First can you please confirm you have the newest version of wifibooth? Go to settings app -> wifibooth, should be version 4.4.8 at the moment. If not, please use the App Store app to update Wifibooth.

Next, try making a new event on the first screen when you open wifibooth, and then take some photos. Do they have watermarks?
Assuming the answer is that they do not have watermarks (good/correct) -- stop if this is not the case -- then go back and select the Sept.8 event that you had, and make some photos. Do these have watermarks? If yes, then the answer is that your Sept.8 event has features turned on that you didn't pay for. For example, Dropbox, emails, etc.
Let me know...
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

anichols381

Postby anichols381 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:05 pm

I'm so sorry for taking a while to get back to you.

First, it says version 4.4.8, build 5453. I went through the process of creating a new event, took several pictures, and it worked without a watermark. I go back to the other event, and it still pops up with a message about trial version and has you click the "see price" button, which is what I had initially done, and it shows all 3 options to purchase, showing in yellow the "selfie" one on the left as purchased. What could I have done wrong since this version won't even let you use features that you don't have access to? I'm glad to see future events will be ok but I'm just curious now what went wrong the first time. Again, I really appreciate your time.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:24 pm

No worries - let me try to explain. I spent quite a bit of time thinking about this.
Here is what I believe has happened (note that there could have been days between each of these steps):
1. you made the event that is currently showing watermarks for you
2. you turned on some features, including at least one feature that the selfie package does NOT include. Example: you changed the email setting to "Only save". When you turned on the first feature that required a package bigger than selfie, you got a pop-up saying "This feature is contained in Pro, do you want to try it?", and you said yes.
3. Some time later, you were on the purchase screen and touched to purchase the selfie package. At this time a warning popped up saying, "Hey you're using features not contained in the selfie package, are you sure you want to purchase this one?". You elected to purchase selfie package. At this point, the *current* event, if it was the one that had non-selfie features turned on, had those features turned off.
4. Either you turned those features back on, or, you then selected another event that had them on already
5. Your event took watermarked photos :(

In the upcoming update 4.5.0, I made the following changes to make this less likely:
- it is no longer possible to turn on features outside of a purchased package immediately after purchase. It was already not possible after you restarted the app, but now it's also not possible immediately after the purchase.
- if you have multiple events, instead of only the current event having its non-purchased features turned off, now all events have non-purchased features turned off.
Both of these changes were made to try and prevent exactly what happened to you from happening to anyone ever again -- I really don't want photos to get watermarked!

Hope this helps.

Return to “Help: Other issues”