Emails Not Sent

Having a problem that isn't related to cameras or printers?
tinydeerstudio

Emails Not Sent

Postby tinydeerstudio » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:10 pm

I just worked a three day event with my camera connected via wifi, connected to my home wifi after each day to ensure all emails were sent - and now I'm getting messages from customers who did not receive their emails.

In the Sharing Center in the app, it appears as though the emails have sent (with the exception of maybe 25%, which do not list the attachment names or give me the option to resend the email). I was able to "resend" some emails with success from the app, while having to search my sent emails in Gmail to see who on the email list didn't get their photos. There are no "files waiting to upload".

My app is up to date. I was running iOS 12.3.1 and using Gmail to send emails with attachments. What could have gone wrong? And how do I make sure all emails are sent in the future?

tim
Site Admin

Re: Emails Not Sent

Postby tim » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:15 pm

Hi there,
Are you using SoloLink to provide internet access? If so, and there's an error sending to SoloLink, or your device running SoloLink has an issue like no internet connectivity for a moment, then this could happen.

If something in the Sharing Center doesn't have a resend button, this could be for a few reasons, including because the photo was deleted from the device's camera roll.
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

tinydeerstudio

Postby tinydeerstudio » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:24 pm

I was using SoloLink to share the printer, but not the internet. I did disconnect the camera during a slow time to allow a few emails to send while connected to the event's wifi, before connecting the camera again - but only once or twice in three days.

So, if the photo is deleted from the camera roll before the email sends, it won't send? That makes sense, but a lot of the emails I recognize belong to customers who did not delete any of their photos from the booth. Is there anything else that could cause this?

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:11 pm

Hmm so to make sure I understand your setup:
- iPad wifi is connected to camera directly, so iPad has no internet access
- iPad is connected to SoloLink but on the SoloLink side you have explicitly turned off the switch that enables internet sharing (ie. you toggle this switch this every time you start SoloLink)
- Wifibooth is configured to send emails (not just store the addresses)
So while you're using Wifibooth, you're seeing the emails queue up (because Wifibooth is offline / has no internet access), and then you're connecting Wifibooth to wifi later, and you're seeing lots of queued emails get sent.

Is that correct?
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

tinydeerstudio

Postby tinydeerstudio » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:53 pm

- iPad wifi is connected to camera directly, so iPad has no internet access - YES
- iPad is connected to SoloLink but on the SoloLink side you have explicitly turned off the switch that enables internet sharing (ie. you toggle this switch this every time you start SoloLink) I didn't realize you could share internet and the AirPrint printer at the same time, so I didn't explicitly turn anything off - I just intentionally shared the printer without touching any other settings or options.
- Wifibooth is configured to send emails (not just store the addresses) YES
So while you're using Wifibooth, you're seeing the emails queue up (because Wifibooth is offline / has no internet access), and then you're connecting Wifibooth to wifi later, and you're seeing lots of queued emails get sent. Yes, but then learning later that the emails didn't actually get sent. Not showing as sent emails in Gmail, and clients complaining they have not received them. Some showing in the email queue without attachments, despite the images not having been deleted.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:00 am

OK in that case, SoloLink is sharing internet with Wifibooth -- assuming your SoloLink device has internet access. That would mean that when someone sends an email, they get it more or less right away as SoloLink is sending it. You can see the numbers of the internet operations on the row next to the print operations (OK/failed etc), on the SoloLink print/internet sharing screen. This is how you know it is happening.

IF your SoloLink device experiences internet outages such as bad cell connectivity, then emails can get dropped. If this keeps happening, turn off internet sharing on SoloLink device by toggling the switch on the print/internet sharing screen. This will cause the emails to get queued on wifibooth instead. However, this shouldn't really be necessary, as SoloLink instructs Wifibooth when it fails to send something and Wifibooth should be re-queueing it. So it could be that you are experiencing a LOT of send errors from SoloLink, and many re-queues happen on the Wifibooth side. In that case, there could be an issue that causes some of the emails to get lost.

Basically you need to either:
(1) turn off internet sharing on SoloLink side by toggling the switch as mentioned above, or,
(2) make sure your SoloLink device has a good internet connection

tinydeerstudio

Postby tinydeerstudio » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:18 pm

I think that probably solves it, then! I had very poor reception in the event space, and did not realize SoloLink was sharing the cellular data in addition to the printer. I'll be sure to toggle the internet for the next event, so they'll queue up for sending later. I'll also turn off the option to delete images, so they don't get lost before sending. Thanks!

tinydeerstudio

Postby tinydeerstudio » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:24 pm

Followup: I just opened the SoloLink App to locate the toggle, and see now that a ton of emails were "pending" in the Internet section, and they all started sending and moving to "ok" as I had the app open. I also finally received the test email I sent myself on the second day of the event! I'll be sure to keep an eye on this in the future.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:41 pm

Ah! yes, sorry, I should have remembered to tell you about that: the whole system is optimized for nothing getting lost - everything getting queued if there's an issue.
Glad that the emails did not get lost!

Return to “Help: Other issues”