Not E-Mails

Having a problem that isn't related to cameras or printers?
Artographic

Not E-Mails

Postby Artographic » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:12 pm

Hey Tim,

I used the app with a photo booth today. I had the settings that people were able to enter an E-Mail Adress and the pictures would be send in an E-Mail. Unfortunately internet connection wasn't working at the event. I understood, that the app sends out all E-Mails, if the iPad is connected to the internet. But it's not working and E-Mails are not sending. (At leash guests didn't receive them yet). If I send an E-Mail to myself to test the settings everything works.

Can you help please? It would really be disappointing if this doesn't work now.

Thanks in advance.
Julia

tim
Site Admin

Re: Not E-Mails

Postby tim » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:35 pm

Hi Julia,
Hmm that's strange.
If you go to the event settings, touch the icon at the top-right, and touch "Get email addresses", do you see a list of email addresses that look like what the guests entered?
If yes, while connected to the internet, can you try starting that event (you don't need to connect a camera), make a new collage, enter your own email address, and see if you get an email with the collage you made?
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

Artographic

Postby Artographic » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:39 am

Thank you for the fast reply.

I can get the list with all E-Mail adresses, that works.

And if I disconnect Wifi now and try to send me a collage in the same event it works if I reconnect again. It also works when its connected to internet while sending me an E-Mail/ Collage.

Maybe I found the cause of the problem:
I used Bluetooth Tethering to connect the Ipad with internet and connected Camera, Ipad and Printer via W-Lan (without internet connection).
Maybe the Ipad thought it already did sent all the E-Mails because it had a W-Lan Connection? (But no internet)

I sent out all the E-Mails manually by now so the gests already got their pictures. So I don't really need a solution for this particular event. It would just be good to know what's the problem and to be sure it doesn't happen again next time.
It would be great, if I could see a List of E-Mails which were sended and a button "send again" or something like this. And a better documentation would be helfpul, since the app never showed any kind of error and I cannot see which E-Mails were successfully sent.

A "send E-Mail list" which you can manually edit would also be great, since it happens that people type in wrong E-Mail adresses and you find out about it after the event. Then it would be really great to edit the adress manually so clients have a chance to get their pictures. Or send again, if someone accidentally deletes the E-Mail, etc.

In general it would be great, if the app showed which E-Mails it were able to send and which couldn't be sent.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:20 am

Hi Julia,
Thanks for the detailed feedback. You are right, the app currently does not give enough feedback in this area, I will try to improve it soon.

I am not sure what happened in your case: if the ipad did actually have internet, then WiFi Booth should have received a positive response from your email provider when it tried to send email. If there was any problem with sending email (if your email provider didn't respond or give a positive response), then WiFi Booth should have saved the email and tried again later.

Perhaps this is a bug in WiFi Booth that is only occurring with your bluetooth tethering, I am not sure. If you are able to test it and make this happen again, then you could provide me with a list of steps to try and I could find the problem here... For example if you set up your bluetooth tethering again the same way you had it before, and enter some (real) email addresses, do the emails go out right away? If not, when you reconnect the wifi of the ipad to the internet directly (no bluetooth tethering), do the emails then go out?
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

Cranfan

Postby Cranfan » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:42 pm

Hi,

I think I got a similar issue.

The list of e-mail is working. I have 26.

When I check my sent items in Gmail, I only have 3. The last 3 actually. Should I be able to see all of them in the sent item?

So my setup was :

IPad 2 with 3G.
Wifi was use to connect to the camera. My Sony camera.

If a bit unfortunate but for some reason, the app seems to think it was sent when it was not? Or, was it sent but not in sent items? But I don't think so, since in the list of emails, mine was first.

Is their any way to force a re-send?

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:26 pm

If your ipad with 3G has it's wifi connected to your Sony camera, then it does not have internet access in this configuration. That is because the wifi is the dominant connection (always), if it is connected then that is the active network.

So what should have happened is that in this configuration, no emails sent, then later when you connected the ipad to the internet (wifi, or, disconnected wifi and had 3G on), then the emails should have sent once you opened wifibooth again.

If you open wifibooth again and start the event, do you see a spinner (progress indicator) at top-right?

Is wifibooth up to date and do you have lots of space free on the ipad (>200MB)?

In any case i will look at improving this in the next version.

Cranfan

Postby Cranfan » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:43 pm

No progression on the top right.

Enough space 35 gig

I re-send everything manually, that worked.

So there seems to be an issue but not sure what's the trigger.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:58 pm

Ok I will look at this in the coming week and let you jnow if I can make this error happen.
Thank you for your time reporting it. I apologize and will fix it asap

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:05 pm

Hi there,
Just reporting back - I believe I found the issue, it is indeed a bug in wifibooth. I apologize for this.
The issue is likely to occur more often when sending via a gmail account. The problem is that the gmail account requires a login, but the logic that handles the email sending thinks it has succeeded sending the email (wrong).
This has been fixed in the next update, which i'm working very hard to get out as soon as possible.
If you'd like to test the new version 4, please read the details here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=591
If you're doing more events before v4 is released (hopefully soon in July), then I highly recommend you use Dropbox instead of attaching the photos to the email directly, because this bug should not happen with offline Dropbox emails.

howesjl

Postby howesjl » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:21 pm

Hi, I also had this issue. I used Wifibooth at an event on July 22. The test emails came through perfectly fine. Because the iPad was connected to my camera (Sony A6000) via wifi, I was unable to be on regular wifi during the event but assured all the photobooth users that their photos would come through after the event ended.

The emails never sent. I have the list of email addresses and all the photos, but not everyone who took photos left their email addresses and I have no way of knowing which emails correspond to which addresses to send them out manually. I'm very unhappy because this functionality (emailing the photos) is exactly why I purchased the app and I would not have done so if I'd known there was a bug that would prevent this from working. I'd like a refund for my purchase and haven't been able to find a method of contacting Wifibooth to request this besides through this forum.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:23 pm

@howesjl I apologize for this bug having caused you such grief.
Refunds are always processed by Apple directly. Please find the receipt you got from Apple (ie. search your email for wifi booth, email from apple), and in that email there is a link to report a problem. You can request a refund this way.
I apologize again that this bug affected you. The update that fixes this issue is coming out ASAP - hopefully this week.

howesjl

Postby howesjl » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:55 pm

Thank you for the prompt response! I appreciate your help.

Return to “Help: Other issues”