Emails and photo numbers

Having a problem that isn't related to cameras or printers?
thephotobloke

Emails and photo numbers

Postby thephotobloke » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:06 pm

Hi.

This is a request for future version.

When you request from app email address, this is fine and works.

I have come across a possible issue though.

Example.

I have event with 32 pictures. Done offline with no wifi.

When requesting emails I only have 31.

Q. If customer takes one picture, then sends email, then takes another picture and uses same email does this only show as one email in list when you request them?

If you are absent from event this makes it tricky to match up email addresses with photo if customer wants another copy. There does not appear to be a way of matching email address and image number once you have copied off ipad. If it listed all emails including duplicates this would be easier. I guess there is possibility also that customer did not enter one.

My request therefore is future report that can be requested from app that lists:

Email & img number as stored on ipad so at later date you could match them if customer requested further copy.

Please advise?

Kind regards.

tim
Site Admin

Re: Emails and photo numbers

Postby tim » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:32 am

I'm not sure how it's possible to do what you're asking, primarily because the ipad does not store numbers with its photos. There actually isn't even a way to reliably get a filename for a photo. Apple tries to avoid handling media as files as much as possible and this is the result.

Re your question, it has two parts:
A) The list of email addresses that you retrieve is "de-duplicated", ie. an email address entered multiple times does only show up once
B) If you are sending photos (via dropbox, or attached to email), and a guest enters their email address twice (on 2 separate photos), then they should receive 2 emails at that same address -- one for each photo. In other words, emails sent are not de-duplicated (that would make no sense).
That your emails didn't send (your other thread) is something i'll investigate and get back to you on (on your other thread)
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

thephotobloke

Postby thephotobloke » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:28 am

Hi Tim.

Thanks for confirming that the emails list is de-duplicated.

This is whats causing the issue when I am trying to manually send images from ipad album.

Imagine Ipad set up at event to email customer.

Customers take photos and input email addreses.

After event for some reason customer contacts to say I want another copy (maybe they deleted by mistake).

Anyhow, for example I look at photos on ipad and request email addresses. They are shown in order I presume of ones that were taken, but duplicate emails are not shown in list.

So when I plug ipad into pc I can see in DCIM each image eg IMG_47 etc, but I have no way of matching that number to the customers email if the same address was used more than once.

So if say 100 were taken and customer somewhere in that sequence took 3 shots each time using the same email the email list when requested would show as only being 96 email addreses, so impossible to match an email to IMG number on my pc not knowing where the duplicate was used.

So with reference to other thread eg I have 100 shots and only 96 email adds and no way of matching photos to manually send to customer.

If the email list matched the order the photos were took and listed duplicates then it would be easy to match them up. I would have 100 emails and 100 images in order.

Is this possible to fix, can duplicates be shown and reference to IMG number be added to report?

Kind regards.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:58 am

Yes I can definitely do something here to improve it. It seems possible to get the filename in some cases but it's not clear to me how reliable it's going to be. If it's reliable enough, then the app could generate a (text) report of the email addresses with the filename(s) of the photos associated with them. If getting the filename isn't reliable enough then I could allow disabling the de-duplication of the email addresses.

But in any case, the way it's supposed to work is that you don't have to manually send stuff. I understand the current email design/template in the app isn't customizable enough and doesn't look great -- that's fixed in the next version too.

just gotta get the next version out... getting work done during the summer is difficult...
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

thephotobloke

Postby thephotobloke » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:16 am

Thanks Tim, keep up the good work!

I'm loving the spp so far.

It would be useful as a backup to have the full email list. That way if anything went wrong you could at least or for future reference look at the list and match each photo in order to the email list.

I would probably copy all pictures off device, export full email list including duplicates and file both for a year. That way if customer emails me in a few months and requests another copy, I can easily look this up.

At present as explained in de duplicted list I have no way of matching photos with emails as duplicates are missing.

It would be great if these could be added back.

Kind regards.

Return to “Help: Other issues”