Why is my ipad 9.7 pro is twice as fast as iphone 6s?

Having a problem that isn't related to cameras or printers?
aluminumwelder

Why is my ipad 9.7 pro is twice as fast as iphone 6s?

Postby aluminumwelder » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:20 pm

basically what I want to know is Which ios Devices hae the fastest transfer?
6s iPhone takes 20 seconds to transfer 3 photos from canon m3 at s2 quality.
same network and the ipad pro 9.7 takes 10 seconds.
why?

tim
Site Admin

Re: Why is my ipad 9.7 pro is twice as fast as iphone 6s?

Postby tim » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:46 pm

Assuming you are using camera wifi (connecting directly to the camera's wifi):
Because the iPad's wifi antenna is MUCH larger (has much more surface space), so it is able to negotiate up to a much faster wifi speed. Your camera has a very very small antenna compared to normal devices. So does your iPhone. Two small antennas = not fast. When one antenna is big like on your iPad, it's much better.

If you are connecting via a router (infrastructure mode wifi):
Does the speed difference (the gap) stay the same when you make the photos very small and when you make them very big?
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

aluminumwelder

Postby aluminumwelder » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:35 am

I am using the DNP wps Pro router with the ipad/iPhone and the canon m3. I've never used adhoc. I've always used infrastructure mode.
Using s2 quality ipad takes about 10 seconds, iPhone about 20 seconds to xfer pics.
Using Large Quality ipad is 14 seconds, iPhone about 40 seconds.

on a related topic, I tried using my iPhone to trigger the ipad for the first time.

using the 6s as a trigger to start the ipad/canon m3/wpsPro setup
I actually get the images to my iPhone in less time about 18 seconds for L sized images. Maybe the ipad is sending lower resolution images?
this worked a few times perfect. however I then started to have many issues.

I get this error message:

could not connect to the camera
session setup rejected by camera

with an OK button below the message.

If I hit OK the app takes me back to the start screen and sometimes I can take a series of 3 images again, and other times I get the same error message above
and sometimes I get the message OOPS wifi booth isnt' ready to take a photo. Please try again ina moment.

And currently I am having this issue:
IPhone 6s triggers ipad/canon m3/wpsPro setup and the 3 pictures are taken, but never downloaded to iPhone 6s. the pink circle eventually disappears after about 90 seconds, during this 90 seconds, the ipad is locked up too and can't take photos.
And if I try to take photos on the ipad, I get the same issue that just happened with the iPhone, it's like the iPad is copying the iphone's bad behavior, lol.

I had to restart the ipad to get it working again correctly.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:09 pm

You are right that the iPad downsizes the photos it sends to iPhones in guest mode. That's because iPad->iPhone is using a bluetooth connection which is very low bandwidth.

Hmm, those issues don't sound good! I'd appreciate it if we could isolate them so I can reproduce them on my side. Let's start with these two.
1) Re the error "could not connect to the camera" -- did you see this on iPad side or iPhone side?
2) Re the error "session setup rejected by camera" -- I'm assuming you only saw this on iPad side. Does this ever happen to you when you're ONLY using the iPad? I'm asking because connecting your iPhone to the iPad should not make this more likely to occur, but perhaps there's some issue...
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

aluminumwelder

Postby aluminumwelder » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:31 pm

WELL, I initially thought the error was due to low camera battery which dies a few minutes after I wrote the intial post. But the error is actually from my memory card becoming full! Camera makes a beep, beep beep sound, couldnt' figure it out till now, lol.

the iPhone trigger unfortunately is so slow, this morning it was 18 seconds and now it is 40 seconds to get the images from the canonM3/wpsPro/Ipad9.7Pro system.

Maybe if it was 20 seconds or less it would be doable. but I dont' think most people are that patient.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:34 pm

Hmm that is too slow. How far away from the ipad is your phone when it takes that long?

aluminumwelder

Postby aluminumwelder » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:36 pm

everything was right on my desk, max of 2 feet away from each other. I will have to test with different iphones and maybe I can see if the wps pro has a 5ghz only mode to help reduce network traffic.

What I dont' understand is why transfer times vary so much as I used the same gear in the morning and afternoon.

Return to “Help: Other issues”