Strobe without DSLR?

Having a problem that isn't related to cameras or printers?
daylightfading

Strobe without DSLR?

Postby daylightfading » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:09 pm

Is it possible to trigger my strobe using the iPad camera instead of my DSLR? Or will I need to use constant light?

tim
Site Admin

Re: Strobe without DSLR?

Postby tim » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:28 pm

Sorry, no - it's very difficult to control the exposure of the iPad camera, and even if you manually set it, there's no way to sync the strobe to fire within the confines of the exposure window. You'll need to use a proper camera or constant light.
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

aluminumwelder

Postby aluminumwelder » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:25 pm

www.bigmike.it/advsoundtrigger
would work. I've used it with web cameras on a pc.
the manufacturer customized it for me to use a headphone jack.
However you would have to pay an ipad developer to get their app to make a sound at the very right moment.

the other option is to use a sound relay trigger with led lights. This is what I am currently doing .the wifibooth software triggers the lights when the countdown starts and then turns the lights off a few seconds after the photo is taken. It dramatically increases led battery life since lights are not always on and it has a nice interactive feel to it since people associate the lights coming on with getting ready to pose.

aluminumwelder

Postby aluminumwelder » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:29 pm

the other problem with flash is that you have to have manual exposure which is currently not a wifibooth feature. and even if it was, you would have to set the exposure to be fairly dark, because the iapd doesn't know the flash is going to fire. this means a dark live view (drawback) with good lighting only when the flash fires (benefit)
godox recently released an ios compatable flash, but I think it only works with their iPhone app
same thing with this company http://www.tricflash.com/
and there is another company called lume cube I think.

good luck.

Return to “Help: Other issues”