Motion Blur on iPad

Having a problem that isn't related to cameras or printers?
SWPB

Motion Blur on iPad

Postby SWPB » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:58 am

Hi Tim,

We've been using your app for a couple weeks now and love the simplicity, but if there is any movement, we are getting really bad motion blur.

I'll admit this is my first time using an iPad booth rather than a DSLR, but i am finding it very frustrating not being able to set shutter speed.

I noticed under settings you have a faster camera option, but it doesnt make any difference.

I have the ipad set inside a neweer right light, and the brighter it is, the better the photo until it becomes too bright in peoples faces - but even then there is motion blur.

Ive seen the other apps like snappic etc allow you to configure iPad camera settings, so it must be possible - just wondering if you are thinking of adding this feature any time soon? - or if there is anything that could trigger an external flash?

- Using a Neweer continuos ring light
- Testing in a well lit room, and a dark room (works better when well lit)
- Using a brand new iPad pro 12.9 inch with the new 7 MP front facing camera

Thanks!

tim
Site Admin

Re: Motion Blur on iPad

Postby tim » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:14 pm

Hi there,
Interesting - until now I had not really considered this, because the prime idea of the app is to connect to an external (DSLR) camera, so you can set shutter speed there.
It wouldnt be easy to add manual camera control to the ipad so I am curious what it would help with: on auto settings as it is now, the ipad is definitely trying to avoid motion blur. So if you set things manually what would you essentially be doing to do better - underexposing the photos?
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

SWPB

Postby SWPB » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:24 pm

Hi Tim,

The iPad does its job when it comes to auto focusing, but if people are laughing and moving, or putting on props, a lot of the photos blur quite badly.

We have built an iPad booth inside the ring light, so there is no way of using a DLSR, so i guess we are a bit stuck.

As you had a setting there for it already, i hoped it might be fairly straight forward to have an ultra fast shutter and an ultra ultra fast shutter option :-)

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:32 pm

The “faster camera” option is for wifi-connected external cameras only: it tells the app not to wait so long between operations.
I could build a manual shutter control for the ipad but how would that help? Say you doubled the shutter speed. Sure the subjects would have less blur, but the image would be very dark (underexposed). Is that what you are after? The ipad is already using its maximim sensitivity and fastest aperture. So if you increase the shutter speed you decrease the light.
If you make the light twice as bright as what you have now, do you see less blur?
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

SWPB

Postby SWPB » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:58 am

Hi Tim,

We did a wedding show this weekend, and the photos came out ok, unless they were moving too much and then there was blur.

We have the ipad inside a light ring, so we have the option to add a LOT of brightness. Perhaps a setting for a faster shutterspeed would help as we would be able to adjust our lighting to allow for the exposure changes.

We have tried making the light very bright, and its hard to tell, but id say yes, there is less motion blur.

I'd love to try the faster shutterspeed, but i appreciate the work involved.

BTW ive been bigging you up a lot on the photobooth facebook group (10k) members, so hopefully a few people have come your way from it! The main questions i hear asked are can you changed camera settings, or record video, or record GIF animations with it. The last 2 dont bother me, but thought id share the feedback incase it helps!

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:19 pm

Thanks! Animated GIF support / video is coming :)

Return to “Help: Other issues”