Flash not firing when connected to Wifibooth

Having a problem that isn't related to cameras or printers?
ljsalazar

Flash not firing when connected to Wifibooth

Postby ljsalazar » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:36 pm

Help! I have been testing my setup for weeks with no problem. Today I went to test things and my flash will not fire when using wifibooth. Camera Nikon 750 in manual mode with an RF transmitter to external Alien Bee flash. Camera connected to Ipad using Nikon WIFI. If camera isn't connected to Wifibooth and I depress the shutter, the flash is triggered. Connected to wifibooth, images are taken but the flash doesn't fire thus underexposing the images. Please keep in mind that this step-up had been working just fine before.
I'm not sure why but when I went to start up wifibooth yesterday it was in trial mode and I had to restore my purchase to the small package. I'm not sure if there was some sort of auto update that happened recently or something that is causing this. Is there a setting I need to change in wifibooth or a setting on the camera? Help!!! My daughter's wedding is in two days and all of a sudden this doesn't work.

tim
Site Admin

Re: Flash not firing when connected to Wifibooth

Postby tim » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:44 am

Hi there,
No, no update has changed any behavior here. Wifibooth does not instruct the camera to use its flash or not -- the camera decides this by itself. Some camera setting must have changed, or, the camera is reacting differently to wifibooth than it was before.
Did you change any settings related to live view?

I found the following, please read it carefully:
... only if the live view selector on the camera is rotated to "movie live view": the flash (SB-700) does not fire if live view option is enabled (in the APP) when taking the photo using WMU. Rotating the live view selector to "live view photography" on the camera, the flash works as expected.
Source: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3842060
Could you try changing the live view selector?
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

ljsalazar

Postby ljsalazar » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:11 pm

I ended up finding the problem a couple hours after I had posted. It was that the camera had been switched to video mode. Since I never use video mode, it wasn't even something that had crossed my mind. My husband must have bumped the switch when he was putting it into/out of the enclosure that we had built. The Photo Booth functioned fairly well at my daughter's wedding and everyone had fun with it. The pictures turned out beautifully. I had one time when it lost the connection with the printer which was easily reset and then one time where it froze up. It had been running non-stop for 3.5 hrs when it froze-up. I had to remove the power source from my camera to even get it to turn off or disconnect it from the Ipad. Reconnected everything and it was up and running within 5 minutes.
Thank-you Tim for creating this app and for the great support!

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:31 pm

You are welcome! It is awesome to hear that it worked well for you, thank you for the feedback. 🙌 makes m happy! 🎉😄
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

Return to “Help: Other issues”