BluePrint with two Canon Selphy printers

SoloLink is an iOS app that shares your printer(s) over Bluetooth and Wi-Fi so that you can stay connected to your camera and be able to print. It can also share your iPhone's camera to Wifibooth.
Koramchad

Postby Koramchad » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:10 pm

I read that BluePrint allows you to connect to two printers and it will automatically manage the printing.
I have a Sony camera with built in wifi, an iPad with WiFiBooth connected to it and two Canon Selhpy printers that are connected to an iPhone with the personal hotspot on.
I can share one of the printers at a time with the iPad via BluePrint, but I can't figure out how to share both.
Is this possible or do I need another iOS device?

tim
Site Admin

Re: BluePrint with two Canon Selphy printers

Postby tim » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:45 pm

Hi there,
Sorry for the delay in my reply.
At the moment this isn't possible, because one iOS device can only share one printer over bluetooth (aka blueprint).
And I don't think there is support in wifibooth yet to support multiple outgoing blueprint connections at once (I did not test this)
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

Koramchad

Postby Koramchad » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:54 pm

I had 2 use 2 iOS devices to use both printers. At least on paper, because the app kept crashing whenever I tried to use two different printers even though they were recognized and added to the app properly. Had to only use 1 printer. Sending the picture to the printers was too slow, made the whole photobooth experience not fun... You should update your guides to show how long it normally takes to send a photo to print since the whole system becomes frozen until the picture is sent...

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:03 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I have some questions to make sure I can find the bugs and fix them:
1) which app is crashing, wifibooth on the ipad, or blueprint (sharing) side?
2) can you make it consistently crash? If so can you just type out the steps to do so?
3) Which app is appearing frozen - wifibooth on the ipad? Is this still the case with the latest update (3.2.0) ? I would expect that wifibooth still shows a progress spinner (little red dots in a circle moving), is that not the case for you?
thanks!
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

Koramchad

Postby Koramchad » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:32 pm

This was during a wedding, so I don't remember very well.
Wifibooth would tell me that there are no printers connected after successfully pairing with both printers on the two iOS devices. I would have to go to Blueprint, click back to go to the main screen and start the pairing process again.
The error was consistent, it happened several times after I gave up and just used one printer. It wasn't a crash per se (didn't have to restart the apps).
Every app was on the latest version as of 10/15. No spinner circles since the app thought there were no printers connected.

vorn

Postby vorn » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:45 am

Just an idea, not sure how Blueprint works internally but I'm guessing it's just accepts jpegs over Bluetooth and queues them up to the printer. If that's the case, couldn't you have th Blueprint server round robin between multiple printers? So the Wifibooth client would connect to a single Blueprint server which then prints to two or more AirPrint printers in a round robin fashion.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:33 am

Hi vorn
Not sure i could make it work for airprint: iOS only prints one thing at a time (queues also). Havent figured a way around this yet - wifibooth has same limitation (it foes round robin though)

vorn

Postby vorn » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:56 pm

Ahh I think I understand the problem, Tim. Users can only select one AirPrint printer at a time and there no programmatic way of selecting them from the app?

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:32 pm

No, i could make it possible to select lots of printers and round-robin print to them, the same as wifibooth already does if you use airprint from wifibooth.
But this doesn't speed up printing at all because iOS will only talk to one printer at a time. So printer one would have to be finished before printer two would start. So in practice it isnt helping..

vorn

Postby vorn » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:43 am

Ahh got it, it's still helpful in ink and paper management but may not matter in the end since it doesn't speed up printing.

Btw, love that you're responding to customer feedback. I'm almost ready to buy the PRO version. Just need to test the printer setup with my Wifi Dslr

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:07 am

Thanks, good luck :)

ronaldjague

Postby ronaldjague » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:08 pm

Since pretty much all the recent Selphy printers have a wireless capability are there any plans to provide wireless connectivity to Turboprint for them?

Stuart

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:20 pm

Hi Stuart do you mean BluePrint?
It supports all AirPrint printers automatically - does not require an update for this.

Return to “SoloLink (formerly BluePrint)”