BluePrint Not Printing to Selphy CP1300

SoloLink is an iOS app that shares your printer(s) over Bluetooth and Wi-Fi so that you can stay connected to your camera and be able to print. It can also share your iPhone's camera to Wifibooth.
Jfredson

BluePrint Not Printing to Selphy CP1300

Postby Jfredson » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:55 pm

I’ve setup my iPad to print to my Canon Selphy CP1300 through my iPhone using BluePrint. The first print worked perfectly. Every print since then has come through BluePrint fine and increased the number of Printing OK. It even shows the last sent image as printed in BluePrint, but the printer isn’t printing anything.

I can still print from my photos app just fine so the printer is working. It appears BluePrint isn’t actually sending the photos to the printer even though it says it is.

Is there any way to troubleshoot this? I’m using this for a wedding tomorrow!

tim
Site Admin

Re: BluePrint Not Printing to Selphy CP1300

Postby tim » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:57 pm

Hmm. When you are in blueprint and you swipe up (iphone X) or double-tap home (older iphones) to show all apps, do you see a print queue to the right? Any info on what is happening there?

Does Blueprint show it is connected to the printer?
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

Jfredson

Postby Jfredson » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:43 pm

Thanks for your reply. The print queue was not coming up at all, so it seemed like the phone wasn't actually sending any photos to the printer even though it said it was printing them successfully in BluePrint.

I ended up restarting both the printer and my phone and it worked after that. Ended up working great throughout the wedding, so thank you for an excellent product!

Only question I have at this point is if it's possible to somehow get the photos to sync faster from my camera to the iPad. It's taking between 30-60 seconds between each take before I am able to let another group use the booth and it's a little awkward when you have a bunch of drunk people ready to take their photo and not understanding why they have to wait.

I had my Nikon D750 set to JPG Small Basic (the smallest JPG setting). Dunno if there is anything else that can be done to speed up the file transfer. The camera and iPad were within 16 inches of each other at all times. I'm thinking about getting a dedicated camera for the booth so I don't have to use my Nikon. Maybe there are other cameras that perform better for wifi transfer?

Other than that, everything worked great for our first wedding so we were super happy about that. Thanks for your help.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:52 pm

Really glad to hear it worked well at the wedding!
Yes, although i’m a Nikon/Fuji shooter by nature, all my photobooth rigs either use an iPhone X/Xs (for magic screen / background replacement) or a Canon 80D as Canon has better wifi. Try both out and see what you like?
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

Jfredson

Postby Jfredson » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:17 pm

Thanks for the feedback. What kind of lighting do you use with the iPhone? Are you able to hook it up to external strobes or do you just use it with a ringlight?

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:59 am

You need constant lighting with the iPhone. I use 2 x Neewer LED panels that have adjustable warmth, so i can warm up / cool down the skin tone of the guests depending on the background being used (ie. winter vs summer-y backgrounds).

Jfredson

Postby Jfredson » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:39 am

Nice. I used a 19" ring light for this wedding and it definitely helped but the video feed from the camera is still super low res. I assume the iPhone has a higher quality video feed?

Here's an example of one of the Gifs from my Nikon D750 at the wedding this weekend: Image

In contrast, the actual photos look great: Image

I've seen some other photo booths just combine the 4 final photos into a moving Gif like this: https://www.instagram.com/p/BtMnhJ1ByQ5 ... 605horc2lr

Would it be possible to add this option to Wifibooth?

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:46 am

The GIFs are low res on purpose, because of the processing overhead being too high for old ipads. But you could be limited by the camera’s live-view res. Try turning on the setting “live view prefers quality...” in Settings App -> Wifibooth, then restart wifibooth.

That said, I could definitely offer some setting or auto res-upgrade when a newer ipad is detected.
But an issue here is that many platforms severely limit the size of GIFs that can be shared, and there is no easy way to make gifs smaller once they are created. So there is the risk of making a beautiful GIF you cannot post anywhere.
Eventually i want to overhaul the way GIFs are made completely.

Jfredson

Postby Jfredson » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:34 pm

Ahh that makes sense. Thanks for the info.

I don't see any Wifibooth option in my Settings app. I have options for every other app but nothing for Wifibooth and searching in the settings app doesn't find anything. I'm on version 4.9.3 which appears to be the latest in the App Store. I'm also on the beta iPadOS version 13.0 but that shouldn't make a difference with the settings being available.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:03 pm

Ah oops forgot, there is a bug in 4.9.3 - it will appear as Photobooth in settings app (until the next wifibooth update).

Also please note iOS 13 is not supported until its final release, but glad it is working for you so far.

Jfredson

Postby Jfredson » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:21 pm

Found it! Thanks!

Just noticed the "Faster camera" option. Is this a good option to turn on for a Nikon D750 with an iPad Pro?

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:19 pm

No - all it does is make wifibooth timeout faster when the cam hs a hiccup. It doesn’t increase the speed of anything.
Any change to your GIFs? Live view still performant?

Jfredson

Postby Jfredson » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:18 pm

Ahh gotcha. Haven't had a chance to test yet, will write back as soon as I do. Thanks for your help!

huudat

Postby huudat » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:09 pm

Hi there Tim, I myself am having the same issue as above with regards to low res quality of GIFS

I am using a Canon Rebel SL2 using an iPad Pro 3rd Generation

I've set the camera to shoot jpeg photos in hopes that will help with the low res.

I am following the above advice where under settings for wifibooth; live view prefers quality over frame rate was already turned on and is the only one turned on under the wifibooth settings category.

Is there anything else I can do to increase the quality of the low res GIFs?

The GIF quality im getting is exactly the ones from above are showing.

Thanks and hear from you soon,

Ryan

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:09 am

Hi Ryan,
Hmm no there are no settings controlling that. Are you making MP4s or GIFs? There's a setting in Event Settings -> Taking Photos that is default MP4. If you changed that to GIF then of course gifs are lower quality than mp4, you might want to change it back to mp4 in that case.

Return to “SoloLink (formerly BluePrint)”