Canon 1300D Issues

Want something changed, or have a great idea you want to share?
choosyg

Canon 1300D Issues

Postby choosyg » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:44 pm

Hi,
I bought wifibooth 3 weeks ago in Version 3.4 and it was great. Now i accidentially left the auto update feature of the IPad enabled and it upgraded to version 4 which is unusable. I would have never bought it!
Problems:
* After taking a shot we have 3 options depending on the autopilot state
- Directly take another picture: No one can see that one can view and print the images and no one realizes that one can swipe to the gallery
- Get stuck in the gallery: No one realizes that one has to swipe to take another picture
- Get the anoying print dialog on gallery page: Same as before but in addition one always has the annoying dialog...
I really want the old interface back where you have the pictures and the "take o photo" buton on one page

* Users can not delete images, even if it is enabled in the settings

* Live View on the camera page is always on, with my canon this leads to error messages after approx. 5 minutes. Moreover i personally do not like this behaviour. The live view option in the settings can not be toggled, maybe it would fix this? Please make the "always live view" optional or switch back to the old behaviour.

All together people no longer understand how to use the photo box on events i spend most of my time supporting people. With the old version they did understand it without help!
Please tell me how i can downgrade to version 3.4 on the ipad or fix these issues, i really need the OLD version on the weekend!

tim
Site Admin

Re: How to downgrade to version 3.4 on IPad?

Postby tim » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:21 pm

I'm sorry that the migration to v4 has been frustrating for you, and I appreciate the time you took to write all of this feedback. I definitely want to fix as many of these problems as I can, as fast as I can, so that your event this weekend (and beyond) run smoothly.
There's no way for me to get you version 3, but, I can address your feedback. Even by the weekend.

There's an update (4.0.2) coming in the next few days. If you want to try it right now, I can get it to you with testflight - you'll need to tell me your email address that you can receive on your iPad.

Here is how this 4.0.2 update addresses your feedback.
- Re directly take another picture & get stuck in the gallery: the behavior of the top navigation bar has been addressed to help users find it, and it is now possible to take more photos directly from the gallery screen.
- Re get the annoying print dialog on gallery page: if you specify a number of copies in autopilot that should be printed, no print dialog is shown to the user
- Re users cannot delete images: it is intentionally harder to find than before, as there was feedback that users deleted images they should not have. Here is how to find it: preview the image fullscreen by hitting the magnifying glass. Then instead of hitting "Done" at the top-right, hit the trash icon on the bottom toolbar.
- Re live view on the camera page is always on, and this causes error messages after 5 minutes: lots of good news here. First, the bug that caused those error messages is fixed (if it's the problem I think it is), so you won't have errors anymore in 4.0.2. If you don't want live view on, you can turn it off (now possible with Canon 1300D also, a bug here was fixed), or also new, you can set the gallery screen as the start screen since users can still take photos from there. LOTS of choices.

Please let me know if you want to try the update now, and i'll happily listen to your feedback on it.
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

tim
Site Admin

Canon 1300D issues

Postby tim » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:26 pm

(from ChoosyG)
My setup:

WiFi Router
Canon EOS 1300D
IPad2
Canon selphy airprint

They are all connected via a single wifi network provided by the router.

Wifibooth setup:
- take a single picture
- show button on gallery
- default to gallery page
- do not mirror images
-use live view

My Workflow:
-take pictures, as many as you want, all works fine
- select an image and choose "use this image"
- select done -> opens printing dialog
- choose whatever you want, print or cancel or whatever, it does not matter
- take another picture -> wifibooth struggles immediately when live view should start even before the countdown

The following works:
- Switching live view to OFF fixes the problem but i want live view here
- Switching camera focus to manual fixes the problem as well but it in auto mode

If it halps i can send you a video demonstrating the problem...
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

tim
Site Admin

Re: Canon 1300D Issues

Postby tim » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:34 pm

If turning the Canon 1300D autofocus off fixes the problem, then it sounds like the issue is that your camera is focus-hunting (spending longer than the app expects to get the focus), which can cause the behaviour you describe: if wifibooth tells the camera to take a photo and it does not (because either focus fails or it takes so long that wifibooth gives up), then it can take up to 60 seconds before wifibooth can try again. In the meantime, you'll get that error message "wifibooth isn't ready..."

You have a bunch of options you can try. I'm listing them here in the order that I would try them, ie. easiest/best first.

1) make sure the subject you're photographing is high contrast, ie. has bright lighting with some shadows. If you are just testing on your desk, make sure the camera has some nice high-contrast lines to focus on. This will help the camera get focus faster. At a real event you hopefully have decent lighting that doesn't have this problem.

2) make the countdown longer, ie. in event settings set the countdown timer to 5 seconds. Why? Wifibooth initiates autofocus 1.75s before the photo is going to be taken, but only if your camera is ready at the time. If your countdown timer is on 3s and your camera's liveview takes more than 1.25 seconds to start, then the autofocus won't fire until your camera takes the photo, and that means the autofocus time eats into the expected shutter time, which can cause more focus failures. So, increase the countdown timer to make sure live view is running for longer before autofocus fires, which means that when the shutter is fired, it is already in focus.

3) I've fixed a bug in the upcoming version, 4.0.3, where the last photo taken issues the stop liveview command too soon. Since you are only taking one photo at a time, that's every photo for you. Since the 1300D is slow, that means you're more likely to hit this as an issue. You've already got access in Testflight to install 4.0.3, so feel free to try it and let me know if that helps.

choosyg

Postby choosyg » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:24 pm

Let me answer your options:

1. I do, and as stated in my workflow i can take hundreds of photos without any problems, as long as i do not attempt to print anything, so this option is out.

2. Also as stated in my workflow, the problem appears before the countdown starts, so making it longer makes no difference. The live view stream is shown but the countdown is not, instead the "waiting" wheel is shown. The live view shows up immediately so i do no expect this option from changing anything, and in fact it does not help.

3. This in deed fixes the issue, but in this version all icons from the "titlebar" (setings, camera, printer) are all mixed up at the top left corner.

So thanks for fixing the issue, now i just need the correct icons :)

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:09 pm

Yeah I haven't tested the beta with iOS 9 yet. The nav bar is indeed screwed on the beta. I'll fix that for the next beta build.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:23 pm

... update: just released build 5237 for you. Please try this (or newer) and let me know how it works on your iPad 2

choosyg

Postby choosyg » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:34 pm

Yes, it works, perfect :)

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:58 pm

Sweet thanks!
Please keep updating whenever you see Testflight notifications that updates are available, and I'll endeavor to get this 4.0.3 update out as soon as I can.

Return to “Suggestions & Ideas”