Long wait time between taking photos and collage preview with Sony camera

Built-in WiFi only.
darkzx

Long wait time between taking photos and collage preview with Sony camera

Postby darkzx » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:16 pm

Hi Tim,

I am evaluating the app to potentially replace a full windows / tethered setup. I tried it with my Sony A7R II. While everything seems to work, the app takes a long time (>45s) after finish taking photos, before showing the previews. The ipad screen displays a round circle that gets stuck at the 12 o'clock position for ~40 seconds, before proceeding quickly to complete the picture transfer. Changing the image quality has negligent effect on the wait time. It seems the app/camera takes a long time to switch from photo taking mode to image transfer mode.

Is this normal? What's the wait time like with other cameras in your experience (Sony A5100/A6000, Canon T6i/70D/80D)? I love the app otherwise, but the long cycle time is a deal breaker. Please let me know.

Thanks,

Ian

tim
Site Admin

Re: Long wait time between taking photos and collage preview with Sony camera

Postby tim » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:05 am

Hi Ian,
Welcome to the forum and sorry for the delay in my response (was travelling with family).
That's strange: when i'm testing with a Sony A6300, the delay before the circle starts moving is very short (a few seconds at most). Same with Canons and Nikons - usually these are very fast. With Panasonics and a few specific other camera models, it can take up to 10 seconds before the circle starts moving, but 45sec is unheard of.
That being said, I have not tested with a Sony A7R II -- that is a bit on the expensive side to have as a test camera!

One thing you can try... not sure if it will help but:
1) kill wifibooth (make sure it is not running)
2) go to settings app -> wifibooth
3) scroll to bottom, turn on "Alt cam libs" (last option)
4) start wifibooth / try again.
Note that you lose some functionality by using this option -- photos might not be taken at the exact right time etc. But trying it out won't hurt...
Please note if you turn this option back off again, you need to restart (kill) the app for it to take effect.
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

michigan7981

Postby michigan7981 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:41 am

Hi all,
I have the same problem with a Sony Alpha 7ii. Any suggestion what the optimal settings are?

Any answer is highly appreciated as I see delays of approx. 30-40 sec.

Thanks and BR,

Jacky

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:47 am

Hi Jacky
Did you try making the JPG size smaller, like 1800x1200 pixels or close to that?
Did you try the steps in my prior post above?
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

michigan7981

Postby michigan7981 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:15 am

Hi Tim,
thank you very much for your quick reply. I tried out the first solution that you posted a couple years back and it didn't, but then when I restarted the iPad it did.

All good now.

Thanks.

Jacky

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:47 am

That's great, thanks for letting me know Jacky!

tobi201

Postby tobi201 » Sun May 06, 2018 5:14 am

Hi Tim,

I have the same problem with my Canon EOS 1300D.
The wait time between taking photos and collage takes around 20 seconds. The camera & app doesn't do anything during this time (doesn't switch from "taking photos" mode to "transferring" mode).
I turned on "Alt cam libs", but now the camera doesn't connect to the app. I am only able to connect the camera & app when the setting "Alt cam libs" is turned off.

Live View:
Besides that, the live view isn't smooth. It stops/freeze every 2 seconds for 2-3 seconds. Any idea?

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Sun May 06, 2018 7:19 am

The 1300D is not capable fo delivering smooth live view - it is very underpowered as a camera. If you try the official Canon app you’ll see it is basically the same.

What size are the images being taken on the camera?
What is the wifi setup - is it faster when ipad wifi connects directly to camera?

tobi201

Postby tobi201 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:01 pm

Hi Tim,

thanks for your reply.
Which Camera would be a good replacement for a smooth live view? I will only use the camera to take party pics with constant light and print them on a canon selphy printer. Would be great if you could recommend a camera below 500€

Your questions:
I already reduced the image quality to the lowest option. It is better but still not smooth. I directly connect the camera to the iPad.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:10 pm

Hi Tobi
First to make sure -> are you using the most up-to-date version of wifibooth? 4.4.8 came out recently and improves live view quality. You can check version in Settings App -> wifibooth.

tobi201

Postby tobi201 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:07 am

It is still 4.4.7. I will test the new version tonight...

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:14 am

Great, let me know how it goes!

tobi201

Postby tobi201 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:10 am

The new version works perfectly. Thank you, great job!

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:52 am

Great, thanks for letting me know!

Return to “Help: Cameras with Built-in WiFi”