Canon 1300D Manual Mode Live View Dark

Built-in WiFi only.
shutterbug

Canon 1300D Manual Mode Live View Dark

Postby shutterbug » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:46 pm

I have my camera set to M 1/5 F5.0 ISO 400, its connected to a speedlight with large custom bounce card and an ipad 12.9. The pictures turn out amazing set here vs Auto mode, however the live view is too dark to see and the live view is needed for the attendant to tilt the head for different sized people. In auto mode the flash itself has to be turned down and then ambient light can change the picture.

I am looking for the best settings that can be used in the most places with live view showing like on auto mode.

tim
Site Admin

Re: Canon 1300D Manual Mode Live View Dark

Postby tim » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:01 pm

Hey shutterbug
This is an unfortunate limitation of the Canon cameras until you get all the way up to the Canon 80D level: cameras below this (so 1000D/1300D/750D etc) are not capable of having an exposure for the liveview that differs than the exposure of the photo. Once you get to the 80D and up, there's an oddly-named setting (something like silent shutter or whatever) that enables this -- if you get a camera that supports this let me know and i'll look it up for you. I'm sure it is in the canon help article on wifibooth.com too :D
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

shutterbug

Postby shutterbug » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:59 pm

Hi Tim, Thanks for the reply,
Is there a different brand camera in a lower price range that you might suggest?

Greg

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:12 pm

Sorry i'm not an expert in this area anymore, things have moved a lot since I switched from strobe flash to constant/always-on lighting (where this isn't an issue). I'd take a look at Panasonic cameras as they have great wifi (can make outgoing connections like Canon, no other camera manufacturers can)
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

shutterbug

Postby shutterbug » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:02 pm

Darkroom Booth has a feature within their program that makes the live view image brighter. Is this something that is possible in the future?

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:14 pm

I can't tell the camera to change the exposure of its live view.
Are you talking about the live view on the home screen of wifibooth only? If you start taking a photo, it is brighter than the home screen (because no overlays) -- is that what you're askking about? I have assumed you meant the entire live view image is black

Return to “Help: Cameras with Built-in WiFi”